Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You could also hold down R and use the arrow keys to look down ledges and things like that. Also pressing R while moving will rotate your camera behind you which is useful if you are being chased.

Oh yes, I changed almost every existing key like so:

C - Character screen/stats
J - Missions (journal)
F - View
Tab - Inventory

And for movement:

W - Forward
S - Backwards
A - Turn left
D - Turn right
Left arrow - Strafe left
Right arrow - Strafe right
Up arrow - Action

It was as intuitive as I could get it to work. So to pick shit up I just go "W + Up", and to attack "Up + Movement keys". I may change Up to right Ctrl, though...

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It feels more natural for me to time attacks with my right hand so I stick with default controls but hey if it works for you then it works.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
k, I'm fairly comfortable with the controls, still need experience fighting enemies, but overall doing good. Won't be uninstalling because of the controls anymore. I solved the VSync issue by getting rid of the new renderer, fixing other bugs in the process.

But what's killing me is the fucking tiny fonts. It's beyond uncomfortable. Anybody know of a good solution to this other than reduce my resolution to potato (1280x720)? It's fairly annoying and right now my only real complaint about my Gothic experience so far.

Also, I just learned the lockpicking mechanics by saving and reloading in front of a chest. It's incredible. (obviously I reloaded and left the chest alone)

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
k, I'm fairly comfortable with the controls, still need experience fighting enemies, but overall doing good. Won't be uninstalling because of the controls anymore. I solved the VSync issue by getting rid of the new renderer, fixing other bugs in the process.

But what's killing me is the fucking tiny fonts. It's beyond uncomfortable. Anybody know of a good solution to this other than reduce my resolution to potato (1280x720)? It's fairly annoying and right now my only real complaint about my Gothic experience so far.

Also, I just learned the lockpicking mechanics by saving and reloading in front of a chest. It's incredible. (obviously I reloaded and left the chest alone)
You could try this mod but I've personally never used it and can't speak for the quality of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
You played in English, correct?
Correct.
The voice acting in Gothic 3 is the least of it's problems. I actually prefer not to have any voice acting in my RPG's. Unless it's done really well and not half-assed.
Have you tried playing it in German for example?
Nein.
It won't fix the rest of the game but open worlds like this can often get away with technical fallings if the player is sold enough on the atmosphere (see Morrowind).
Hard to get sold on the atmosphere when there are graphical glitches all over the place. The textures would flicker like crazy, especially the sky it was just too distracting to ignore. Had no FPS problems on max settings though so it couldn't of been my computer, or maybe it was idk. No amount of trying to convince me to play it again is going to work, Gothic 3 is broken on a fundamental level.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Still, if you like the Gothic / Risen series and want more, you should check Venetica, an obscure but solid aRPG in an uncommon setting.
Thanks for the suggestion. Checking it out right now. Cheers.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've played for two and a half hours. And I realized how this game could have been fixed:

- Independent mouse sensitivity settings for X and Y axis. It would make camera movement using a mouse much more precise: fast X axis, slow Y axis.
- Using mouse for camera movement effectively renders "turn left" and "turn right" buttons useless. You turn with the camera, like in Morrowind.
- WASD for movement. A and D are used for strafing, only during combat.

- One-fucking-button for activating things. E, for example.
- You attack with left-click and you use the strafing keys and the up keys for attacking in various directions. (You can't attack while strafing in Gothic or while moving, you need to click and then pick a direction)
- It would be even better if "choose direction + click" worked as "click + choose direction" (though this could be turned off).
- Blocking could be an independent "right click" button instead of the awkward "click + move backwards".

In other words: the REAL issue with Gothic is the camera. It really is. Because with a good camera, all of the bolded parts are solved. But the camera is so bad you are practically forced to use the normal turn keys, which gives the game keys that it really doesn't need, like Morrowind has shown us.

This again brings me to the question: why didn't they make the controls better? It wasn't hard. "Gothic's combat is complex" is not even a fucking excuse as I just explained, what's complex about Gothic's combat is the awful controls, but the combat is simple as hell. With the changes I mentioned above, it would be like 500% easier to master Gothic's combat, and I'm not changing the core combat itself, but the controls given to the player.

Anyhow, my 2 cents. Flame on!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fucking hell just play with keyboard.

Why don't you just answer the question? I don't have any issues listening to criticism about Morrowind, but everyone seems to get anal when someone says anything bad (no matter how right) about Gothic.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've played for two and a half hours.
easier to master Gothic's combat
I take it you never took part in the weapon training. :M

I need to find that yet, I'm just making some gold.

I have a few questions of the game that I need answered, given the manual from GOG doesn't really explain much:

- So Ore is basically the currency, right? And the coins are worth nothing?
- Lower Strength requirements for a weapon makes any difference if you already match the requirement? I just bought a Sword that does 14 damage and requires 7 STR, and I was using a sword that did 12 and required 10 STR. My current STR is 10. Other than the extra damage, the lower STR makes any difference? (Faster swing or something?)

Also, I changed my controls a bit to use keyboard only. I'm hoping these new ones will do.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fucking hell just play with keyboard.

Why don't you just answer the question? I don't have any issues listening to criticism about Morrowind, but everyone seems to get anal when someone says anything bad (no matter how right) about Gothic.
What question? Why they didn't make controls better? I don't fucking know man. That said, G2's controls are probably easier to get into.

And-
- So Ore is basically the currency, right? And the coins are worth nothing?
More or less, you could possibly sell the coins for roe, I don't remember.

- Lower Strength requirements for a weapon makes any difference if you already match the requirement? I just bought a Sword that does 14 damage and requires 7 STR, and I was using a sword that did 12 and required 10 STR. My current STR is 10. Other than the extra damage, the lower STR makes any difference? (Faster swing or something?)
Critical strikes add your STR to weapon damage, other than that, no difference. For better weapon swings, you need to get trained in those weapons, no way around it.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I've played for two and a half hours. And I realized how this game could have been fixed:

- Independent mouse sensitivity settings for X and Y axis. It would make camera movement using a mouse much more precise: fast X axis, slow Y axis.
- Using mouse for camera movement effectively renders "turn left" and "turn right" buttons useless. You turn with the camera, like in Morrowind.

- You attack with left-click and you use the strafing keys and the up keys for attacking in various directions. (You can't attack while strafing in Gothic or while moving, you need to click and then pick a direction)
- It would be even better if "choose direction + click" worked as "click + choose direction" (though this could be turned off).
- Blocking could be an independent "right click" button instead of the awkward "click + move backwards".

In other words: the REAL issue with Gothic is the camera. It really is. Because with a good camera, all of the bolded parts are solved. But the camera is so bad you are practically forced to use the normal turn keys, which gives the game keys that it really doesn't need, like Morrowind has shown us.

This again brings me to the question: why didn't they make the controls better? It wasn't hard. "Gothic's combat is complex" is not even a fucking excuse as I just explained, what's complex about Gothic's combat is the awful controls, but the combat is simple as hell. With the changes I mentioned above, it would be like 500% easier to master Gothic's combat, and I'm not changing the core combat itself, but the controls given to the player.

FFS bro do you want everyone to hold your hand? One of the best thing's of Gothic (or all games for that matter) is learning how to play them yourself through trial and error. Either play one of the best cRPG's ever made or don't.

T. Reich

Arcane

Oh, god, HOW DUMB CAN YOU FUCKING GET.

Since you're too dumb to figure it out on your own - YOU. CAN. REBIND. THE. CONTROL. KEYS. IN. OPTIONS. MENU.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Oh, god, HOW DUMB CAN YOU FUCKING GET.

Since you're too dumb to figure it out on your own - YOU. CAN. REBIND. THE. CONTROL. KEYS. IN. OPTIONS. MENU.

Did you even read the part where I mention the camera is the culprit of everything wrong in Gothic?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Have you tried .ini tweaks to fix your mouse sensitivity issue? A quick Google search didn't yield anything but maybe if you dig deeper you will get lucky. Don't forget the mandatory PCGamingWiki detour.

You have a point that games should try to reduce the friction between the player and the game; friction such as having to use an unusual control scheme, even if it's objectively not brain-destroying. Gothic 1 plays unconventionally, not hugely so, but enough that I understand some players being thrown off at first. If you have a USB controller, try setting up a profile in Xpadder: it will bring you back to a very typical (i.e. little to no "friction") control scheme. Although you should still try your best with mouse & keyboard, the Gothic series as a whole is very controller-friendly.

Lastly, I don't know if T. Reich said it in jest, but make sure to rebind your keys until you are as comfortable as the game allows. If you don't need the turn right / left keys, use that precious space for more useful commands. I use the arrow keys and even then I use an unconventional scheme that I'm pretty sure no one else uses, so I always take it for granted that the first thing you do before even starting a new game is setting up your controls, but I'm always amazed when I'm reminded of how many people just never ever rebinds their keys. Sometimes fixing a game is two clicks away.

Rebinding keys is pretty much a first in any game I play. Most of them get it right the first time since their scheme is conventional.

Anyhow, thank God someone replied because I needed to get this off my chest: THE LOCKPICKING IS AWESOME. Though sort of broken, I think. I raided tons of chests in the Old Camp using only Level 1 lockpicking. From one chest I got tons of potions, herbs, and other things. The lockpicking mechanics are fairly simple, but not predictable as opposed to TES/Fallout's "move the lockpick closer" and so on. Gothic's, in a way, makes a lot of sense.

I managed to buy my first armor (some pants for 500 ore) and a new sword for 160 ore. I can now kill Scavengers in two hits and it feels incredible. I'm fairly happy I stuck with the game, after I posted my message about the controls I was literally seconds away from uninstalling but decided I may regret it. Then I jumped back into the game and discovered the joy of lockpicking.

Thanks for that PCGamingWiki link by the way, may come useful for future games.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
And so, the Codexia set another popamole cretin on the right path. :salute:
(Looking forward to proper exorcism with Wizardry IV, Carmine and Britra, kek)

Also, major
You're going to fight the Sleeper in the very end of the game.
Enjoy the game.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

Also, major
Enjoy the game.

Technically you dance around him while fighting 4 purple legless demons

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Also, major
Enjoy the game.

Technically you dance around him while fighting 4 purple legless demons
Technically you're pressing 5 levers while dancing around demons while dancing around the Sleeper while dancing around his stupid fireballs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom