Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, I'm on the blood chalice quest atm as well, and I'm way past 2 days. Besides, it would be completely nonsensical if it had a time limit this strict, considering you can get the quest waaaaaay before you even get access to the town hall in the OBERSTADT.

I remember the Lares bug from a prior playthrough though :negative:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Is it possible to play with German dub on the GOG releases?
It can be done - and with any language for that matter ;)

Install two copies, English and German - faster if you own Gothic on GoG.
Then copy the entire "scripts" folder (\Gothic\_work\DATA\scripts) from the English version and then paste it into the German version.
Uninstall the English version.
Play.

Remember to turn on subtitles via in-game options - they don't apply to cut scenes either, not really a big deal though.
Also, maybe modify the subtitles to be a little larger, you're going to be squinting a lot if you play at a higher res. There is a way to do this in the ini file, but I forget the specifics.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It can be done - and with any language for that matter ;)

Install two copies, English and German - faster if you own Gothic on GoG.
Then copy the entire "scripts" folder (\Gothic\_work\DATA\scripts) from the English version and then paste it into the German version.
Uninstall the English version.
Play.

Cool, thanks. One question, though: I tried playing The Witcher with Polish voices, but ended up dropping them because it felt like:

Subtitle: "Hey, how are you doing?"
Voice: "Kropoviska viskara aimen den jung est dus, maherisken saikara derrim von strausche, maihen das kun?"

In other words, the Polish voices had much, much more dialogue than the english subtitles and it bored me to death... Does that happen as well with Gothic's German dub?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Saying "Hey, how are you doing?" takes actually one word less in Polish.

Yeah, I was making things up obviously. But I did have one dialogue with a boot shiner in Vizima and it felt like the dialogue was twice as long as the subtitles (and not because of his constant coughing), and many other times were the same thing was true. Comes to mind the dialogue with that Siegfried guy at the sewers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Saying "Hey, how are you doing?" takes actually one word less in Polish.

Yeah, I was making things up obviously. But I did have one dialogue with a boot shiner in Vizima and it felt like the dialogue was twice as long as the subtitles (and not because of his constant coughing), and many other times were the same thing was true. Comes to mind the dialogue with that Siegfried guy at the sewers.
Well what do you expect, using sub for different language?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Cool, thanks. One question, though: I tried playing The Witcher with Polish voices, but ended up dropping them because it felt like:

Subtitle: "Hey, how are you doing?"
Voice: "Kropoviska viskara aimen den jung est dus, maherisken saikara derrim von strausche, maihen das kun?"

In other words, the Polish voices had much, much more dialogue than the english subtitles and it bored me to death... Does that happen as well with Gothic's German dub?

I'm playan it in nazi right now after having played Gojik 2 several times in potato, and as far as I can tell from my memory of the translated dialogues, they more or less match in breadth. So I would assume inglese would be the same.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Well, I was expecting the sub to be faithful to the content of the dub. That's the thing: I feel like the subtitled removed a lot of info present on the Polish dub, but not knowing Polish myself I can't tell if my mind is playing tricks on me. It's not uncommon at all for that to happen. Given I'm a native Spanish speaker but well acquaintanced with English I can tell when the subtitles of a movie are just plain lazy and translate only the minimum amount of information needed. So instead of translating: "If I ever catch you again, I'm going to stick your cigarette where the sun don't shine" they translate "If I see you again I'll kick your ass".

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Nah, so far I haven't noticed any large differences like that. It's all spot on in terms of being a literal translation actually. The only downside is, some of the German voice actors sound bored haha. The English VO for Diego and Xardas were a lot better imo. But see what you think - good to play in a new language as a gimmick anyway.

Last edited:

Got bored and left

Well, I was expecting the sub to be faithful to the content of the dub. That's the thing: I feel like the subtitled removed a lot of info present on the Polish dub, but not knowing Polish myself I can't tell if my mind is playing tricks on me. It's not uncommon at all for that to happen. Given I'm a native Spanish speaker but well acquaintanced with English I can tell when the subtitles of a movie are just plain lazy and translate only the minimum amount of information needed. So instead of translating: "If I ever catch you again, I'm going to stick your cigarette where the sun don't shine" they translate "If I see you again I'll kick your ass".

With subtitles for movies, keep in mind that translators need to stick to pretty strict character limits, which means that things get cut whenever possible, to save space and make the subtitles readable by normal human beings. Crap subtitles still happen, of course, but there you go.

No reason for this kind of things to happen in videogames that don't go all-in on being "cinematic", and you can spend as much time as you want reading the subtitled dialogue, though, so what you're experiencing is very odd indeed.

I'm playan it in nazi right now after having played Gojik 2 several times in potato, and as far as I can tell from my memory of the translated dialogues, they more or less match in breadth. So I would assume inglese would be the same.

Man, the thought of playing Gothic in German makes my skin crawl. Does it make you want to invade your neighbours?

Murk

Arcane
Strangely, he sounds good in 3 again. Similar for the same guy in 1. But yeah, that was a tragic loss of quality as deeper suave voice fit Diego's father like persona much better.

Xardas' voice is legit, and it always cracked me up hearing it from the hooch brewer or Jack.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I actually liked Diego's VO in gothic 2 more than 1. :bunkertime:

Though in 1 his VO was perfectly fine and didn't need changing, don't know why they got a new voice actor for him. Can't remember what he sounds like in 3 cause purged my memory of everything that has to do with gothic 3.

Murk

Arcane
While not the same actor as in 1, very similar voice.

Voices in 3 were awkward all around -- I much preferred 1/2, especially since 3's dialog was so bland and generic. The orcs' voices were p good. "make yourself useful, Morra" etc.

Old One

Arcane
The civilized orcs in 3 are the single most loathsome part of that whole game. Gothic orcs are irredeemable, evil, bloodthirsty, demon-worshipping murderers, not semi-reasonable conquerors. If Rhobar lost the war against the orcs, their horde would exterminate every human they could find, no exceptions.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The civilized orcs in 3 are the single most loathsome part of that whole game. Gothic orcs are irredeemable, evil, bloodthirsty, demon-worshipping murderers, not semi-reasonable conquerors. If Rhobar lost the war against the orcs, their horde would exterminate every human they could find, no exceptions.
Ur-Shak was a bro though

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
They dropped the ball with Diego's English VO between Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. In Gothic 1 he sounds cool. In Gothic 2 he sounds like a bad Steve Buscemi impresson.
I think in Gothic 2 Diego sounds more like an adult version of Butters from Southpark haha.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Ur-Shak was a bro though
Right up to where he gets butthurt about his master and tries to kill you.

Well he let you go though at least.

They dropped the ball with Diego's English VO between Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. In Gothic 1 he sounds cool. In Gothic 2 he sounds like a bad Steve Buscemi impresson.

Glad I played the German versions then. One of the few Games where I actually like the German VO most games get terrible German VOs.

T. Reich

Arcane
Welp, being midway into a re-play of G1 on the hot heels of having re-played Risen, after not having touched either of them for a few years, here are some observations:
1) G1 is really unpolished and uneven in terms of ingame content distribution, something that was fixed and not an issue in G2 and R1.
Most noticeably - there are next to no side-quests in G1 after joining a camp and starting chapter 2. Once you pick a camp to join, you're pretty much railroaded with little distractions outside of non-quest areas of the world to explore. Both G2 and R1 have some new quests unlocked as you progress through chapters, though R1 decidedly less so - it's much closer to G1 in this regard.
And once you decide to explore the optional corners of the world in G1, you will quickly notice that there is a very uneven distribution of content in the wilderness as well! Enemies and loot are concentrated strictly around specific landmarks and along the roads connecting those, with very little to see elsewhere. In G1 there are actually stretches of land where there is no single lootable to pick up and not a single enemy to fight. G2 and R1 had this fixed in a sense that there are almost no places you could go to where there would not be at least something waiting for you to discover.
Also, while the game tackles the very real problem of "clearing out" the content by repopulating the game world during each new chapter, the approach is rather simplistic so far (chapter 3 for me) - it simply adds a mob or two to the same place where you would find those same mobs in chapter 1, and it does not increase the threat level of the mobs. Basically, what it boils down to already at chapter 2 is that where you once encountered a pack of wolves there would be a new wolf. And that means that no challenges are introduced, simply more trash mobs to get one shot on the wey to your next objective. G2 and R1 had an advanced approach where the world would also be repopulated by noticeably tougher mobs as the time went by, and often in different areas as well.
2) G1 and R1 are very similar in terms of how the world is compact and pretty focused in terms of where you can and can't go at a certain point of time. R1 bears very little resemblance to G2 in this regard, and it does feel to me now as if R1 is basically a very faithful G1 remake, albeit with a couple of consolitis diseases picked up along the way.
3) Despite G1's shortcomings, it does feel very cohesive and tight-knit thanks to its compact yet free-roaming game world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom