Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Sequel, cancelled Gothic 1 expansion

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
From the World of Gothic subreddit: (EDIT: Original post has since been removed)

Screenshots from leaked alpha of cancelled addon to Gothic 1
submitted 27/12/2016 by Bgb1

Some of You may know that before Gothic 2, Piranha Bytes was working on addon for Gothic 1, but after success of G1, addon was canceled and studio started creating standalone sequel - Gothic 2.

We didnt know much about that addon until recently. Here are some screenshots taken directly from leaked alpha of this G1 addon:https://vk.com/album-76325062_239191698

It looks like the addon would take place after banishing the sleeper. Nameless hero is brought back to Xardas tower in similar way as in G2 (except it would be still in the mining valley). We can see destroyed old camp, sick people and demonic animals (monsters). Looks like there would be some kind of plague that possessed living beings, perhaps dementors are causing it because they are also present on the artworks.

What else is there? Well, we can see King Rhobar came to Mining Valley! Also we can notice that some of the demonic monsters were actually reused in G2 - black troll, dragon snapper and that green scavenger. The other ones like demonic lizards and wolves were scrapped for good. But they are actually in the official artbook "the Art of Gothic":http://i.imgur.com/byuLCye.jpg

EDIT: Seeing as the images have been removed, here's some recent video coverage that has popped up. (Polish commentary w/Eng subs)

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
yBzvrOvHL2g.jpg

:shredder:

throwaway

Cipher
Not sure why I expected Rhobar to look particularly distinctive

Also, why the hell does PB care enough about this to come down on the WoP user who leaked this (not to mention the suspect fact that the reddit post is also [deleted])?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does the woman have Long hair? I thought PB claimed they couldn't do that, hence the Nameless Hero's shitty ponytail in the first two games and absolutely no ponytail in g3.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Also, why the hell does PB care enough about this to come down on the WoP user who leaked this (not to mention the suspect fact that the reddit post is also [deleted])?
Really? That is weird. This is news to me...

Which WoP user are you referring to?

Ah well, the reddit post is gone, but the VK images are still up for anyone interested. https://vk.com/album-76325062_239191698

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic the one and only. Unbeaten in terms of atmosphere...
yeah, despite having a harder time getting into gothic 1 (mainly because of the controls) i still like 1 better than 2.

i gave up on 1 once because i just couldn't figure out how to control the guy properly and over time it gave me some kind of motion sickness. glad i gave it another chance and stick with it longer. after several hours wandering the old camp there when i fell in love. gothic 2 is a great game and have major improvements over several aspects on 1, but on worldbuilding and the atmosphere, also how tight and packed the overworld is, nothing beat it really.

i just wish this "look we got biiiiiiiiiiig game world! look at our game!!! it's so huge yo mama would be lost in it!" is gone.

focus more on detail in simulation, and gothic is imo the perfect size for RPGs. there are still healthy amound of landmass to explore, but not so much that each characters, locations, and quest got lost because they are just a speck of a huge, empty world.

What the fuck is this? From the thread:
scr567_03.jpg

and this :
gscreen13.jpg

and that :
screen17.jpg

There is whole galley with similar early footage: http://gothic.arhn.eu/G1/galeria2.html
Was a substantial chunk of the game cut from the final release? Anybody has some information about the cut content?

This is near release footage:

7.jpg

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Not sure why I expected Rhobar to look particularly distinctive
It never got passed Alpha, looks like they just did a quick re-texture of Gomez.

What the fuck is this? From the thread:
scr567_03.jpg

and this :
gscreen13.jpg

and that :
screen17.jpg

There is whole galley with similar early footage: http://gothic.arhn.eu/G1/galeria2.html
Was a substantial chunk of the game cut from the final release? Anybody has some information about the cut content?

This is near release footage:

7.jpg
Early alpha/beta stages of Gothic. All video games go through a phase where initial ideas are turfed or reimagined. Pretty standard.

The more recent things we've posted, are screenshots from a cancelled expansion. Most of which seems to have been recycled into Gothic 2.

Last edited:
I know this is alfa and beta. The thing is that this is a cut content. Google search does not give any good results about Gothic cut content, so I posted this hoping someone may have an extensive knowledge about what was cut there.

throwaway

Cipher
I feel this series of videos did a very good job of tracking the development of the Gothics (especially G1)

Murk

Arcane
The addon looks like it was pretty fleshed out, almost like it'd be playable.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I know this is alfa and beta. The thing is that this is a cut content. Google search does not give any good results about Gothic cut content, so I posted this hoping someone may have an extensive knowledge about what was cut there.
I you look closer at the first image you posted, it's just an early design of the Swamp Camp. You can see NPC huts, the slope leading down, the river, unfinished trees etc...

I don't think any of it is cut content man, just early construction.

Last edited:

Demondays

Literate
There was post on 4chan about this reddit thread. What is funny is that someone claimed there that he is responsible for this leak and then posted this:
1483228902839.png

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
There was post on 4chan about this reddit thread. What is funny is that someone claimed there that he is responsible for this leak and then posted this:

What's really fascinating is that regardless of how unfinished it was, they seem to have succeeded in making it twice as dark as the first instalment.

All we need now is Alejandro Jodorowsky to come forward and tell us he was attached as lead writer, and this will make a great "What Could Have Been" documentary :lol:

Demondays

Literate
any chance some basement wizard create some kind of restoration/rebuilding patch or there are simply isnt enough content?
If the alpha would be leaked completely into public that would be very likely to happen (probably people would make whole modification with restored content). But atm its in possesion of maybe 1-2 people (outside of PB ofc) and they arent willing to do that.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Seeing as the images have been removed, here's some recent gameplay footage that popped up yesterday. (Polish commentary)

Video description - translated:
Published on 19 Jan 2017

When everyone thought that about the Gothic series already know everything, suddenly and unexpectedly on the Internet began to appear more and more information about the canceled almost 16 years ago, the successor of the first series of views. Incidentally, we had the opportunity to play in it as early as April 2016, long before the recent leaks, and since then we have tried our best to understand both strands of the story of the unfinished game, and the circumstances of her cancellation. This material summarizes our findings for the most affordable form.

Part of the shots was recorded using REGoth, or reimplementation of fan motor of the first two Gothiców open source: https://github.com/REGoth-project/REGoth

Yes, we have a playable version of the game canceled. No, we can not make public, we can not also send anyone privately. Even if that person promises that he will not tell anyone. Such a life.

If you are looking for a source of interesting material from the first stages of the formation of the Gothic, visit http://gothic.arhn.eu

Last edited:

Demondays

Literate
Here its good description of what is in this video:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335741 said:
So, there was a leak at the end of last year of some screenshots from a "canceled expansion" of Gothic 1 that was in development, before being canceled in favor of Gothic 2. Turns out Polish Youtube channel Arhn.eu got a hold of what is probably the last playable build of the game quite a few months earlier and compiled everything the managed to find out about it (which means the video is in Polish - maybe someone would add a translation later).

• After Gothic released, the team was split into two teams: one developing a "sci-fi shooter", while the other one worked on an expansion for Gothic.
  • It quickly became bigger in scope, rising to the rank of a full sequel instead of just an expansion.
  • It was canceled almost overnight after around 6 months of work. Reasons aren't known, but presumably it had to do with being developed by a smaller part of the team and its expansion roots - it would be tiring to have the sequel in almost exactly the same area as the first game, with many of the same characters.
  • The build contains a finished chapter 1 and a bit of chapter 2. There's more stuff in the design documents that were in the build.
  • The sci-fi shooter project failed as well and the team went on to make Gothic 2, with the Gothic Sequel team joining them after cancellation of their project.

As far as story goes:

Game starts similarly to Gothic 2 - Xardas summons The Nameless Hero after the latter defeated The Sleeper and was trapped under falling ruins of the temple for a few months. However, the orks have conquered most of the country. The Khorinis Penal Colony is one of the few areas still under control of humans. While orks don't seem to try to conquer it, they have surrounded it and aren't letting anybody pass.
Meanwhile in the Colony itself, demonic creatures started to appear and according to Xardas, it's the work of The Sleeper, trying to come back to this world. He says that any moment a huge portal to the demonic world could appear and something needs to be done to prevent this.

Main character gets teleported nearby the Old Camp and meets the first new character - an staff-wielding amazon named Thora. The Old Camp itself has changed. Not only geographically, since destroying the barrier created powerful earthquakes that destroyed some of the outer walls add changed the area of the colony, but also politically - Diego has become its new leader and turned it to a far more lawful place, since they just had better chance of survival that way.
It also turns out that king Rhobar himself with his paladins and fire mages came to the valley. However, they aren't in the camp, but have settled in the mountain fort. Nobody really knows why, but word says that he's looking for something here.

In search of help four our cause Diego directs us to Thora, since she works for the king as a scout. She agrees to take us to the Fort, where we meet Milten. Of course, he can't just allow us to see with the King and that everyone seeking a hearing with him needs to prove his loyalty.

And this is where the build ends. What else we know, we know only from the (often pretty undetailed) design documents.
Turns out the fire mages know about the portal and know what to do - they have to stabilize the magical structure of the colony with help on the 5 focus stones used in creating the magic barrier. We find out that Saturas has them, so we travel to the remnants of the (mostly destroyed by earthquakes) New Camp, where surviving fighters founded the demon hunters troops. We try to persuade Saturas to give them to us, but without telling people what they're for, since Lee and the rest of his comrades still hate the king. Also Ur-Shak is in the camp now, but there aren't actually any details about him.

After getting the focus stones, it turns out that we need 1000 pieces of so-called "bloody magical ore" or "dark ore". Milten sends us to Diego for help, but he says most of the mines have been destroyed except for one underneath the Tower Of Fog, but it's overrun by orcs.

Here the game would change a bit - first we have to find people who would agree to mine the ore and the design docs mention that our character could be a teacher to miners and be their boss. Some people would work for us if we pay them, some want us to teach them something first, some need other means of persuasion. We would also be supposed to worry about their supplies, equipment and safety. Example quest would be persuading Gorn (now a high-rank demon hunter) to create an offensive group that would help us get rid of orcs.

After getting all the ore we need, we get sent to ask Xardas to help with the ritual, but it turned out to be a lie to get us out of there. The mages have started, but they chose a wrong place and accidentally open a small portal to the demonic realm that consumed them. Now we have to retrieve the focus stones and start the ritual in the proper place - ruins of the Swamp Camp temple. Turns out that orcs know about the Sleeper and are here for the same reason. However, the demonic influence is obstructing their efforts. We help them and start the ritual with Xardas, trying to defeat the fire mages, now turned to Sleeper's followers.

There aren't really any details about the final part of the game, but there was a plan to let us choose whether to banish the Sleeper once and for all or actually summon him to our world.

There were quite a few new ideas - some of them went to Gothic 2 along with the staff, but there were many that didn't:

• Expanded arena gameplay with rounds, designated starting positions, judges and rules.
  • "District of the ill" in the Old camp, where people ill with the demonic possesion disease are isolated from the rest and healers trying to help them.
  • Beggars, who can direct our character to opportunities to earn money/experience and other info, if they are friendly with us.
  • More and more promenient female characters, including the already mentioned Thora and not yet named Rhobar's daughter.
  • Runecrafting
  • Disposition system

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Here its good description of what is in this video...
Wow. Sounded like a really interesting premise.

They could have easily used some of these ideas in Gothic 3. Ugh...such wasted potential. :cry:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom