Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Reloaded - Demo Released

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
sleeper_small.png

The long running development of Gothic's biggest visual overhaul, Gothic Reloaded, has finally hit a substantial milestone. It's very true to the original aesthetic, so this is not your typical graphics mod.

They still have the lower levels of the game to redesign, but what is finished thus far looks damn good.
Just keep in mind, when they say "demo", they mean it in a very traditional sense. The mod currently only allows you to play through Chapter 1 with it enabled.

I assume as it isn't finished, they want everyone to experience all their work in one go. Which is fair enough, considering they've worked on this in their free time for nearly a decade.

Everything you would usually need with Gothic (Playerkit, Systempack etc..) is included with the installer.

Enjoy!

Official Website - Download

World of Gothic Forum - Help

What exactly is Gothic Reloaded Mod?
The Gothic Reloaded Mod is not a typical mod. In contrast to other mods, which try to create or add an additional storyline, characters, items or quests, we will enhance the graphics of the original game "Gothic" by Piranha Bytes, published in 2001.
10.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
20.jpg

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It looks very nice, Gothic was never a looker and everything was sort of blocky but a nice coat of shine and some good graphic upgrades are always welcome, plus it makes it easier for newer player to give older games like these a try

mixer

Learned
But Gothic looks fine and is not even 20 years old. What is next, is someone gonna remaster Skyrim... oh wait.

Will try out.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Well, that's nice, even though I don't really care about graphic mods
I don't either, most of the time they end up barely capturing the original anyway. This one does though, it's akin to Homeworld: Remastered on how professional they've approached it.

tormund

Arcane
This one at least looks like it is surprisingly faithful to original's visuals and atmosphere, which is extremely rare as far as fan made visual overhauls go.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I'll just quickly throw this in before someone says it.

The graphics overhaul mods usually fail miserably because:
- Inconsistency. A couple freelance artists (or worse yet bored basement dwellers) can never reproduce a whole game's worth of art assets in one coherent single style. Not to mention that the combination of high resolution textures plus low poly geometry looks really jarring, almost like an origami creation. You'd need a sizable team of artists and go full retard Black Mesa to make it work, but even then it's going to be controversial. Why? This brings us to the next point.
- Muh nostalgia! If your favorite game suddenly looks completely different it will no longer scratch your nostalgia itch, so most of these graphics overhauls just alienate the hardcore audience. And these old games rarely bring in any new players, so what's the point.

Nice effort regardless. Are all these assets original creations or ripped from other Gothic games?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Nice effort regardless. Are all these assets original creations or ripped from other Gothic games?
Yeah everything is an original asset. The guy who started has been working on it as a hobby for the last 10 years.

http://demo.gothic-reloaded-mod.de/?lang=en_GB#preface

On 3rd July 2007 I presented my vision of a "Gothic 1 Improvement Project" in the German forum "World of Gothic". Shortly afterwards a small team was founded, ready to support this daring adventure. Every now and then new members joined us, although only a few proved their worth. I am all the more grateful to those who have been involved in this project for many years and held it up.

During this time many things have changed. When we started, most of us were still (junior) high school students. Meanwhile, all have completed their studies or their training and have gotten a job. Accordingly, it becomes increasingly difficult to find time for the mod. This can be seen clearly in the missing updates on our website, for which I am responsible. Since I am not a fan of social media platforms, you cannot find us on Facebook, Twitter and so on until now. Maybe this will change in the future, who knows? We are working on a new website, which will look more up-to-date and will be easier to maintain. Meanwhile, we found reliable translators, who are helping us to reach Russian, Polish and Italian fans in their native language.

The development was delayed mainly because of a technical problem. In the game, all three-dimensional objects are described by a set of triangles. In the engine of Gothic 1, there is an artificial limitation on the quantity of these triangles, which has already been removed in Gothic 2. Over a long period of time, we were aware of this problem and still had not found a solution because this limitation is anchored in the engine itself. As you can guess this had a strong influence on our motivation. We developed the mod anyway, uncertain whether and how we would ever publish it. There were different approaches, such as the use of another engine or the release for Gothic 2, which unfortunately have always entailed some legal problems. Finally, the help of Degenerated enabled us to publish our mod for Gothic 1. I will always owe him thanks.

From this point onwards, we have concentrated all our efforts on compiling this demo. Since we are still working on the underground levels, we decided to limit the demo to the first chapter of Gothic's original story. This means you can visit the old mine as well as all the camps of the mining colony and join one of them. In the name of the whole team, I wish you a lot of fun!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's ridiculously good looking.

It must also run ridiculously bad in my computer.

It sucks that the mod isn't finished, though.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Honestly the only thing I don't like visually about Gothic I is the paper mache trees and maybe some of the earth/sand textures could do with a bit of detail. But overall it still a very visually consistent game.

That being said, good luck. I'll try it for my nth Gothic replay.

deama

Prophet
Looks nice; but I'm kinda worried it's not gonna see the light of day.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
EDIT: Added some comparison screenshots below.

Vanilla Gothic - Settings Maxed | Gothic Reloaded - w/DX11 Enabled.

Daum!

that basically looks like inserted all textures and models from g2 into g1.
and then added some even higher res textures.
and the good thing is that everything looks pretty naturally gothic.

I really hope this gets finished.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
that basically looks like inserted all textures and models from g2 into g1.
and then added some even higher res textures.
and the good thing is that everything looks pretty naturally gothic.

I really hope this gets finished.

The thing that caught my eye is that I thought "this looks really nice, I want to see a comparison pic" and afterwards I realized I hadn't even noticed ponytail dude got a new model. The mod is that good. Generally with these overhauls you can instantly say "the original character looked nothing like that", but this time I didn't even notice it was a mod.

Aholf Ditler

Novice
Hey guys, you need to compatibilize this great work with the great mod Dark Mysteries.
Gothic missing Dark Misteries is more poor in all the aspects

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom