Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic II Gold/Night of the Raven

But I need Dex to use one-handed swords yes? Also is the pirate faction worth joining?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My advice for NotR: Cheat.

The game will still be as hard as fuck.

Crichton

Prophet
But I need Dex to use one-handed swords yes? Also is the pirate faction worth joining?

No / Yes

You only need dex for a very few one-handed swords designed for archers and since those swords still use your strength to calculate damage, they're useless. Only raise dex if you want to use a missile weapon. It is possible for a low-dex high-str warrior to make good use of a crossbow every now and again.

There are several cool pirate quests, including one where you get to assemble a whole horde of them and go lay waste to snappers and orcs.

I would also advise using that little NotR cheat program that's out there to increase the number of LP per level unless you have the patience to save up all the stat boosting items until you've hit the LP crunch point.

Crichton said:
I would also advise using that little NotR cheat program that's out there to increase the number of LP per level unless you have the patience to save up all the stat boosting items until you've hit the LP crunch point.
Could you link it please?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
NotR isn't really that hard. No need for silly cheats. You just need to be little patient at the beginning. Good way to gather cheap xp at the start is traveling with Lee to the old ruins and farmland. He pwns every monster on the way for you and you get the xp for it. I even managed to lure all the snappers and lizards in the ruins to him.
There are other temporary companions aswell.

Besides that, get some transformation scrolls from the naggy alchemist. Dragonsnapper is particulary powerfull. You can virtually clear all the map from low level monsters or take out the elite ork in the woods with it at level one.

Also quests. Just do some damn quests that don't involve killing high level monsters and get xp. NotR is perfectly balanced and you get damn powerfull towards the middle just like in the original. All the rebalancing is there because of added content. Sheesh. :decline:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Darth Roxor said:
well, it depends if you fight against humans or beasts.

When fighting beasts, wait for them to charge, and when they are about to hit you, step back and unleash a mighty combo of divine fury. Rinse and repeat.

If humans, you have to use a combination of blocking/slashing. Hitting from left to right is better than using comboes on humans imo. Start hitting them, when they start blocking stop and start blocking yourself, than interrupt them or wait till they stop slashing with another left-to-right combo.

Thrasher

Erudite
Runaway. :)

But seriously hit and dodge is the best approach. Don't just spam attacks, use some dodging finesse (like stepping back after every attack to avoid getting hit). Get a rhythm going of swinging and stepping, and you should do fine. If you goof up, block at least, and get back on rhythm.

There are some good tips here without any game spoilers:
http://dlh.net/chtdb/chtview.php?lang=e ... 694&page=2

Until you get the hang of it expect to die a lot (or runaway a lot).

This game gave me great satisfaction once I got the hang of it.

Thrasher said:
This game gave me great satisfaction once I got the hang of it.
As long as I can get the hang of it then I'm happy, I think I kept fucking up last time because I never used the side attacks.

Thrasher

Erudite
Side attacks help, but just as important is to avoid getting hit.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Gnidrologist said:
NotR isn't really that hard. No need for silly cheats.

You obviously have not been gang raped by 4 skeletons and a summoning mage skeleton before.

Thrasher

Erudite
That sounds like a runaway situation.

I seem to remember being able to fight off skels early on by jumping up on a boulder and shooting arrows from a barely safe distance. I remember it taking lots of arrows though.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
And yes, running away is something you need to be prepared for... you should be doing it often in this game. But it's quite satisfying when you return later on to pwn the formerly stronger opponents.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
SCO said:
Gnidrologist said:
NotR isn't really that hard. No need for silly cheats.

You obviously have not been gang raped by 4 skeletons and a summoning mage skeleton before.
Ok, it is hard because there is no level scaling so you just need to know which monsters to avoid at the beginning by dying on them at least once. It could be considered a minor cheesiness, but it sure beats level scaling.

Skelis are one of the most badass monsters in the whole series, so you need to avoid them till mid game as their melee attacks are devastating. Though, as in most games with undead creatures, they are very vulnerable to fire. Only two fireballs are enough to take a ''grown up'' skeli down so if you have some fire based scrolls early in the game, you might exploit them.
Other than that, just stick to killing wolfes and flamingos for a while.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah that was my strategy for fighting in the tomb on the big farmer house. A big ol' firestorm scroll. Obviously impossible otherwise.

Arrows... Crossbows are better for most of the game. Think they're faster too.

As for running away: i recall a situation where there is a big sheer drop at the north of Korinthis, where there are 4 skeletons and a few orc patrols at the bottom. I fired away but the fuckers found a path (quite a long path - amazing A*) and killed the hunter that was resting behind me. Apparently if there's a fight and you're not visible, they'll forget you.

The monsters respawn in each chapter so for maximum experience you should kill everything in each chapter.

Wisely, the game moves around into a another area for the 2º chapter so you don't get too bored.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Yes, the tomb behid the Onar's farm is a great xp booster in the first chapter. You basicly need 6 fireballs and one firestrom scroll to clear it from undeads and get a massive experience without even having spent any learning points yet.

I like that there are lots of creative if a bit gamey ways to deal with tough foes in Gothic games. Don't even get me started on trouncing the black troll with a 'heavy branch' to death without any investment in combat skills and strenght. :lol:

bgillisp

Scholar
Gnidrologist said:
Yes, the tomb behid the Onar's farm is a great xp booster in the first chapter. You basicly need 6 fireballs and one firestrom scroll to clear it from undeads and get a massive experience without even having spent any learning points yet.

I like that there are lots of creative if a bit gamey ways to deal with tough foes in Gothic games. Don't even get me started on trouncing the black troll with a 'heavy branch' to death without any investment in combat skills and strenght. :lol:

Haha...I ran around the slow troll hitting it from behind with a weak sword. Never got a single hit on me, easy kill but it took about 20 minutes!

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
They do respawn, but not in the same number as they were initially. Also some tougher mobs appear instead of the previous as chapters advance.
Maybe the respawn only occurs in some chapters, i don't remember. There is certainly a point where you start getting dragonsnappers even in Khorinis.
Satori said:
I'll be playing as a Paladin this run-through, should I go one or two handed?
Matter of preference, style. 2h does more damage and has further reach, 1h swings faster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom