Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic II Gold/Night of the Raven

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
I need some help again...is sneaking worthless outdoors or something? I can't seem to sneak up on anything. Also every fight I get into I have to sideswipe and backstep over and over, if I do something else I'm going to die..I'm just using the dagger that dude by the campfire in the beginning gives you. Is there a point to using lighter one handed weapons? Is it supposed to be impossible to heal in the middle of a fight?

Crichton

Prophet
you can take healing potions in a fight if you enable the hotkeys in the ini file (I wouldn't)

Sneaking only works against humanoids (humans, orcs, maybe goblins and skeletons), not animals.

1-handed weapons have a speed edge over 2-handed weapons, but no 1-handed weapon is any faster than any other so use the biggest weapon you can at your current strength.

It's often best to use the forward attack when dealing with animals because it has somewhat more reach (you step forward when you use it). The forward attack can be chained with the others.

Zomg

Arbiter
Is there any way to scale up the fonts used in Gothic I? I'd like to play at 1280x960 but unfortunately I'm left with a font that is supposed to be used on 640x480.

Edit - The Gothic I endgame is fucking terrible.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I've played as a mage a couple times. It is very hard and very unbalanced with other character types. I'm currently playing through as a mage.

First off, the whole leveling system is broken due to training costing more the better you become at a certain skill. So, to fully benefit from +skill items/opportunities you have to save them all until the final fight. If you use your +skill items/opportunities in the beginning of the game, before training, you will have less skill than if you saved them and trained first because all training now cost more LPs. +skill items/opportunities are essential to do well in this game and giving the player the opportunity to waste them sucks. To fix this: training should scale up due to how many times you took training not what your skill is. If it worked like this then you could use +skill items/opportunities whenever you wanted and you'd still only have to pay minimal LPs for training. As it is now I can say you are pretty fucked as a mage if you don't save your +mana stuff until later in the game.

I never put points in weapon skills as a mage and only acquire the skills from items and free training opportunities. IMO, you should spend at least 60 LPs on +mana training before you use any +mana items. This way you get more mana for cheaper instead of doing it later on... Also, train to make runes for spells that have the best mana:damage ratio. A lot of fire is 1:5 which is the best aside from some holy spells like holy arrow which is 1:10.

Now for mage specific crappiness. This is for the "fuck Battlemages" people like me.

A.) I've found that spells will almost always miss their target if it is in melee range. This is probably unintended by the developer, but it exists so it needs fixing.

B.) You can't cast any spells while moving. So, unlike a melee character, you have to stand there and take it while you throw magic. Unless, it's melee then you can't even hit them as stated in A.). You just have to keep running away til they stop chasing you then mana up and go back to them. Move, stop, cast, move, stop, cast, repeat. Lame.

C.) New magic circles are chapter based. This sucks ass. A melee character can be all that he can be based upon his level. A mage has to wait until the story progresses. Mages should always have access to higher circles as long as they have the LPs to spend. Unless there's a good roleplaying reason for withholding the training instead of "You aren't ready... (NEXT CHAPTAR LOL)."

D.) No mana regen... even outside of combat. So, you either need to sleep or drink a bunch of potions to be able to cast again. I spend more time drinking potions than actually casting spells.

E.) No quick slots for potions. You have to go into your inventory and find the potion then drink then exit your inventory. During combat this can be tricky. Pretty much you're dead. I read there's a way to edit some file to allow you to press one key to drink, but that's pretty lame to make people go through that instead of making a couple quickslots.

F.) More mana per training please! For me usually one moderately powerful enemy is a full mana bar if not two full mana bars. Training is expensive and if you spend all your points in it you won't have any spells to cast. It's a tricky business making the most out of your LPs.

Mages pretty much suck. I really hope they get some love in Gothic 3 because mages are a lot of fun. Personally, if nothing else, I hope they can regenerate mana out of combat. In combat would probably be asking a lot, but that would be good too.

Sentenza

Scholar
I don't want to start a new topic so I ask it here...

Does anybody remember how to deliver the killing blow in Gothic 1 once your opponent is on the ground? (I'm using "alternate" controls settings btw)

Did I missed something?

PS - no, the GII *hold LMB + W* doesn't works and I've tried every possible fucking combinations of key, I even thought some NPC could be immortal, but I've tried it even on 'generic' diggers and seems I can't finish 'em

Ladonna

Arcane
Just thought I would mention this: If you are a pussy, and find the combat in Gold too hard (next to vanilla G2 combat) there is a tool that can reset the game back to G2 level of difficulty.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't have the game installed here, but I really think it should work. Keep the weapon out, position yourself so that the body on the ground is "locked on", and press the 'use' button plus UP. Maybe your 'use' button is something different from CTRL, and maybe your UP is actually W or sth, I don't know. It certainly is in the manual.

Amasius

Augur
It matters also which weapon you are using. You can kill humans with swords and axes, but not with blunt weapons like clubs.

Sentenza

Scholar
Amasius said:
It matters also which weapon you are using. You can kill humans with swords and axes, but not with blunt weapons like clubs.
I knew I was missing something... well, thanks

About to start this up again, I've only ever managed to get up to the castle with all the orcs surrounding it and that was on vanilla Gothic 2, so what I'm asking is should I go Paladin/Mercenary, 1 handed/2 handed and is investing in theiving skills in NotR worth it?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Investing in lockpicking is *always* worth it.

No idea about pickpocketing though, in vanilla it was pretty useful, 'cause you could snatch some pretty neat stuff like keys from some people, but I didn't play NotR since it never liked my computor, so disregard that.

Thrasher

Erudite
If I remember correctly there were some good items in vanilla that could only be pick-pocketed. And dito on lock-picking.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
On the contrary I found the mouse-based control better, but it's maybe because I had not played G1 before I started G2.

The key to make the combat easier in the first part of the game is to quickly obtain a good sword, IIRC if you manage to kill one of the first orcs you can find on the hill above the town , you can get a very good sword.

Could you guys give me advice on how to swordfight? I just use the normal combo and jump back dodge/block however it's a pretty shite strategy as I have to quicksave abuse more ofthen than not which really sucks the fun out of the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Satori said:
Could you guys give me advice on how to swordfight? I just use the normal combo and jump back dodge/block however it's a pretty shite strategy as I have to quicksave abuse more ofthen than not which really sucks the fun out of the game.

well, it depends if you fight against humans or beasts.

When fighting beasts, wait for them to charge, and when they are about to hit you, step back and unleash a mighty combo of divine fury. Rinse and repeat.

If humans, you have to use a combination of blocking/slashing. Hitting from left to right is better than using comboes on humans imo. Start hitting them, when they start blocking stop and start blocking yourself, than interrupt them or wait till they stop slashing with another left-to-right combo.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Don't bother with dex if you don't use ranged weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom