Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic I/II mods

Murk

Arcane
I can't imagine it'll actually be _good_, but at this point even shit content with g2 stuff slapped on will be ok.

It's like I'm starving, but it is too late in the night to get real food or make anything worthwhile, so I settle for just slapping whatever deli meat I find onto whatever bread I find and having to be content with it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There is some nice mods for it, like Returning or Golden Gate or Dark Saga.
But each of them are big, some of them hard as nail...like hell, G2NotR is still challenging unless you clean out whole map and gather every junk for every penny. Doing it once again is not fun.
Then you have mods, looks great on paper, but doing same cleaning operations is no more fun.

Read some stuff about Returning 2.0. There will be free aim from ranged weapons like in G3, but no ballistic or gravity influence. Impossible in this engine.
And love argue about console key. Everytime something new is released they advise "do not cheat or mod will break" or disable console whatsoever.
There is a thing with Gothic mods, where cheats leads to breaking them. Never experienced it personally, though.

But what happen if you get a bug and need console? Nobody help you because (a) they think you used cheats (b) "I had no problems whatsoever so it's your fault". Mods break if you do something stupid or cheat. It's your fault.
Reasons to disable console are ridiculous but they have no problems with slashing wolves for 5-10 minutes.
Gotta love Gothic modders.

EDIT
Returning 2.0 is out.
Only need translation, might take few months at best. Or not? They said that they translated 45% of NPC dialogues already. There is about 300 NPCs so good work despite dozen MIA translators.
I'm talking about potato language of course, nobody in the west play Gothic games.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What you know, there is english translation
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1400928-Gothic-2-Returning-v2-0-Stand-Fragen-Antworten
But only google translator one, just like most Stalker mods, tsk.
And it's REALLY tempting, people say it's p.good megamod (31locations+lot of changes in old ones).
EDIT:ok, I found that translation to potato dialect bring few patches, p.important considering the words about corrupted saves and crashing (mod require i5 and 8GB RAM and ~10GB)

Since Stalker modding is p.much dead since 2013 - I might try return (pun) to Gothic mods.
I tried Global Mod, which was nice but I couldn't play much, either backlogs itching (which stop me from replaying) or getting tired after dozen playthroughs of Gothic trilogy.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
What you know, there is english translation
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1400928-Gothic-2-Returning-v2-0-Stand-Fragen-Antworten
But only google translator one, just like most Stalker mods, tsk.
And it's REALLY tempting, people say it's p.good megamod (31locations+lot of changes in old ones).
EDIT:ok, I found that translation to potato dialect bring few patches, p.important considering the words about corrupted saves and crashing (mod require i5 and 8GB RAM and ~10GB)
So I looked it up and it's absolutely unplayable currently . Game breaking bugs , crashes , no balance what so ever , performance issues and so on . Authors are currently patching this shit , but they said it will take a long time , don't feel bad about beeing unable to play it .

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Gothic2_2016-10-21_02-12-23-79.jpg

bump

I tested Returning 2.0 with engilsh translation on potato game. Weird experience. Especially random nigga at Xardas tower talkin' to ya in ye olde english made with google translation. Joking aside - translation is not that bad as people think. If you expect dialogues made by literature bachelor then you have too high expectations.
It's not like the other mod mentioned by gnidrologist where young wolf need 50 hits to die. There are 4 difficulty setting and you won't have bad time on lower ones (especially with HP regen since lvl0).
One thing is insane - flora. So. Much. Trees. I can't see shit, enemies included.
Would play again if not lack of time.

Rpgsaurus Rex

All G2 fans should play Returning 1/2 at least for some of the new areas. Fort Azlan and Etlu in Returning 1. Expanded Valley of the Mines was great except for the near-empty dungeon areas. I haven't played R2 far.

Pros: MORE of everything especially exploration which is why I play G2 in the first place.

Cons: too many monsters means builds without reliable AoE (i.e. non-mages) will have gameplay feel like Diablo at times. R1 suffered from the "too much of a good thing can be a bad thing" syndrome making dungeons too big and monsters too many, I wonder if R2 is the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I heard there were some plans to release one last version of Returning 2. But every release breed more bugs which is not surprising considering the SIZE OF THIS THING.

Also - there was a big boost with L'Hiver general progress and v1.0 feels more like a "possible" than "in your dreams, pal".

edit
WHAT THE FUCK
L'Hiver 1.0 was released not long ago!
http://worldofplayers.ru/threads/36390/

I don't even
cBTnzLc.jpg

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Don't remember which version of Returning i tried, but i uninstalled it as soon as i realized that the starting baby wolf near the Xardas tower can one shot NH, while you have to land at least several dozens of hits to nail it. That's not how you do ''additional challenge''.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I played more R2 and I gotta say it's a must if you liked NotR but found it too easy and wanted more. Remember you could clear Khorinis in CH.1 and everything else in CH.2/3? Then you drink/eat/read the stuff you saved up and game turns into click to win. Well... everything rapes me in CH1. There are fucking Goblin Mages that burn you to death, and every goblin above the baby goblin is a dance with death. Lots of monsters now only hunt in packs. New monsters like spiders just seem unbeatable at my level. I'm trying to play a Necromancer (there's that, and the hippies from G1 with guru/templars!), saving LPs for mana regen and stuff I'll need Chapter 2 and without fighter skills I can barely deal with 10% of Khorinis wilderness even with the best weapon/scroll/w.e. abuse I can come up with. It's basically metagaming as much as you can and the game still drops a sledgehammer on your face you if you try to cut corners. I don't remember ever needing scrolls in vanilla, here any scroll you can be a lifesaver.

On the other hand it's become much more of an RPG as opposed to Action, since a lot of stuff just can't be overcome early no matter how skilled you are.

There are spears, rapiers (with new animations!), just a ton of new stuff. Pretty much every game element has been touched in some way, though balance/variety takes precedence over lore/realism. I like it.

There's lore rape aplenty (playing a Necromancer is fucked for obvious reasons) but I don't care about that. Those who do better stay away, I guess. IMO it's a massive improvement over vanilla and R1. There's "easy" and "normal" for those who don't want challenge, so it being too hard is no excuse.

My only complaint here is out of memory crashes every hour. That and drowning when you run out of stamina is lame. Though I guess it's for balance reasons.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Double post but this mod needs more hype, damn.

Last time I had so much exploration boner was Enderal and that ended up declining by second half because Skyrim base game is so dogshit you can only fix it so far. It's like you try to enjoy it but end up giving up, whereas Gothic R2 is finding fault here and there but you end up having so much fun despite all the flaws like back in the golden age when you had Fallouts and the original Gothics and what not.

This is gonna get translated to English eventually, maybe. Probably a German translation first. Or just learn man up and learn Russian, this really is the next great Gothic game after NotR that should have been.

Jinn

Arcane
Would really love to get my hands on an english version of this mod. I suppose that's going to be several years away from now though, right?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/this...0-new-textures-and-60-new-or-improved-models/

Dark Side of Gaming

This Gothic 2 graphics overhaul mod adds 600+ new textures and 60+ new or improved models

JUNE 15, 2018 JOHN PAPADOPOULOS

Modder ‘Vurt’ has released a brand new graphics mod for Piranha Bytes’ classic RPG, Gothic 2. According to its description, this Gothic 2 Graphics Overhaul adds 600+ new textures and 60+ new or improved models, new rain, sun, skies, as well as new trees.

Furthermore, this graphics mod adds new and improved water that also runs smoother than its original version (so expect higher framerates), new meshes with higher poly count for rocks, and some other various improvements.

In order to showcase these changes, Vurt has shared some comparison screenshots that you can find below.

Those interested can download the mod from here. Do note that this is only a graphics overhaul mod and does not feature any gameplay changes or enhancements.

Have fun!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
People say it's an old mod released in 2012 that was uploaded on Nexus.
I tried some other mods that change the look and there is one really annoying thing - flora is way too thick and obscure the view to the point where you need to pull out bow and use autotargeting feature to not bump into monsters.

Why is it that these overhauls never look quite as vibrant as the original game?
nostalgia? don't see anything off puting in them

throwaway

Cipher
Yeah I'm almost certain I saw this on the Watch aeons ago. If it's been made to work with modern mods it's still a worthwhile effort.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Why is it that these overhauls never look quite as vibrant as the original game?
Strange, I wanted to say the exact opposite and praise the artists of the textures for their dedication of keeping the original game 'feel.' From the screenshots it seems like a very well done texture pack.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted

Murk

Arcane
L'hiver is fine if you are craving a change of visuals and an excuse to play again. Content/mechanical changes are minor, most of it is cosmetic or shuffled around (city looks different, etc.).

Didn't play the 2nd one, assuming it's all in German.

There's other threads with more up to date impressions of various gothic mods, but the only one I played recently is returning + alternative balance. I would not say it was great since it was just a google translate, but as I apparently said years ago, even mediocre modder content on gothic 2 is better than most actual games released.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
L'hiver is fine if you are craving a change of visuals and an excuse to play again. Content/mechanical changes are minor, most of it is cosmetic or shuffled around (city looks different, etc.).

Okay, thanks.

Didn't play the 2nd one, assuming it's all in German.

There's other threads with more up to date impressions of various gothic mods, but the only one I played recently is returning + alternative balance. I would not say it was great since it was just a google translate, but as I apparently said years ago, even mediocre modder content on gothic 2 is better than most actual games released.

The second one actually has a translation patch for replacing the german texts with english ones.

Murk

Arcane
Is the translation edited or is it another *shoved through google translate*?

The other mod worth mentioning, in no small part because a proper translation was done by a helpful chap who posted on the codex, was the a Gothic 1 mod named Dark Mysteries. It has some wacky decisions in it too, ala Returning, but the text is solid and so much easier to understand wtf to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom