Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic I/II mods

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
weidu-style. cmon now.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Back in the time I played quite a lot Gothic 1/2 mods, but can't remember their names. I especially liked one of those full conversion mods with new locations (only) and full German dubbing (with Polish subtitles available), but I have no idea whether it had English translation. At the beginning the player begins near a small wooden tower and there's a town nearby, does anybody remember such mod? I don't even remember if it was for G1 or G2, but I'm sure it used G2 textures.

agris

Arcane
Patron
If anyone knows how to get G2 + NotR to use German in the VO, but english subs, please tell me! I configured it back in the day, and can't for the life of me find the reference on how to do it now.
Still looking. The same for G1 would be nice. IIRC, the game menu was also in german.

throwaway

Cipher
Those changes can't be seperated from the graphical enhancements?
The rendered goes by itself (and Degenerated keeps developing it check this out )

Afaik to get the new models, textures etc it's basically getting all of L'Hiver.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Back in the time I played quite a lot Gothic 1/2 mods, but can't remember their names. I especially liked one of those full conversion mods with new locations (only) and full German dubbing (with Polish subtitles available), but I have no idea whether it had English translation. At the beginning the player begins near a small wooden tower and there's a town nearby, does anybody remember such mod? I don't even remember if it was for G1 or G2, but I'm sure it used G2 textures.
It was Diccuric?
pic35.jpg

And holy shit, I heard L'hiver (what a name) looks better but his potetial is mindblowing.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://nichegamer.com/2015/07/forme...lden-gate-now-available-for-english-speakers/
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-golden-gate/downloads/the-golden-gate-eng

"Golden Gate" just now got an English translation. I know nothing about it, but hey, it exists.
Gothic2-7-6-2015.png

• In this mod we play as the Nameless Hero who leaves Myrtana, where the war was finally over, to get back to Khorinis to recall the good old times of his adventures. When he finally arrives to the town, he learns that something strange is happening in Jharkendar: the Paladins want get rid of the pirates but also, there’s the threat of a plague sent by Beliar. Of course, the Hero decides to go there and restore some order…
  • 10-20 hours of gameplay (4 chapters, 100 quests)
  • new story that involves our old friends
  • Jharkendar with three new camps
  • the choice of one of the three available guilds (Paladin, Mage of Water, Orc mercenary)
  • innovative quests, new skills, four levels of difficulty
  • improved graphics, a lot of new textures, 3D models and some animations
  • Polish voice-recording
  • easter eggs

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I picked up gothic 2 + notr off steam (currently 80% off) despite having played gothic 2 before and hating it. Any widescreen patches or anything else I should install before playing it?

Gozma

Arcane
There's no reason you'd like it better with NotR, it's just a lot of decent more-of-the-same stuff. It probably reduces the average quality-per-minute of the game, honestly.

Here's a bug that AFAIK was never fixed, but which lots of people never noticed: The transformation scrolls that turn you into various enemies have a bug where if you get a level up while in animal form, your permanent HP won't have increased when you turn back human as it should.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
...it's just a lot of decent more-of-the-same stuff. It probably reduces the average quality-per-minute of the game, honestly.
This statement is the exact opposite of the truth, for anyone who cares.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
We're talking 2002 textures, Master-derp. Just play in a window if it bothers you that much.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We're talking 2002 textures, Master-derp. Just play in a window if it bothers you that much.

I DON'T WANT TO PLAY A STRETCHED OUT GAME YOU DIPSHIT MOTHERFUCKER.

Get the fuck out of my thread.

Gozma

Arcane
...it's just a lot of decent more-of-the-same stuff. It probably reduces the average quality-per-minute of the game, honestly.

Really? I think the expansion stuff is mostly fine but it really screws up the pacing of the game and makes the three faction choices much more samey. I don't think anyone would be like, "G2 is just OK but WOW NotR!"

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Really? I think the expansion stuff is mostly fine but it really screws up the pacing of the game and makes the three faction choices much more samey. I don't think anyone would be like, "G2 is just OK but WOW NotR!"
It makes the game a lot harder earlier on

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The content itself isn't amazing but, yes, it tunes the difficulty up to make it much more challenging (and fun). Thematically it is a bit jarring to head off to Jarkendar for a prolonged period and then segue back into the Valley of Mines.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Fair enough, I'll explain my reasoning:
Any expansion is, to some extent, going to be more of the same as it is the same game, but NotR is one of the best expansions ever made. Vanilla G2 is a very good game, marred in some ways by poor balance, and the expansion fully rebalances character advancement, making it significantly better -- if quite a bit more challenging early on (which I think is a good thing). Screwing up the pacing I guess is a possible point of view since it is rather disconnected from the main plot, but from my point of view it filled in a lot of content-holes in the vanilla G2 world, and added a huge amount of high quality content. I can't see it as having any real effect on the depth of the faction choices, as they're not really relevant to the expansion content (which, to be fair, is probably the weakest thing about it).
So yeah, from my point of view it took G2 from being a very good game to a great one.

Backstabber

Educated
Vanilla Gothic 2 was easy. Like, really easy. You could even farm the ingredients required to make the Stat Upgrading Potions, IIRC. The rule changes that came with NotR are a significant improvement. Besides, Jharkendar itself is really fun to explore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom