Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Gothic 3: The circle is now complete

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So you want everyone to ignore me because I said Gothic plays similar to 1st person RPG's? But you won't ignore me yourself. I'm sure there is a medical term for that.

MCA
RxvLfsn.jpg

CorpseZeb

Learned
If someone want to be precise, here's some trivia, Gothic has (at least G3 has) a something that resemble 1st mode, you can zoom from 3rd to the 1st and roaming about in that mode around, but it is very unnatural.

Modron

Arcane
One of these days, I should really go back and complete G3 as I pretty much got burnt out on the last leg of the game. I previously did almost every quest besides the master quest and was working my way through clearing the northern area but got tired of wandering through every nook and cranny in that frozen wastes. It was actually a pretty good game but it suffered from that bethesda philosophy of increasing gameplay time by virtue of increasing distance between places of interest.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Bro/Sis, you're the one still trying to defend a dumb point you made 6 or 7 pages ago.

What's dumb is that retards keep obsessing over whether it is okay to say that Gothic is very similar to 1st person games. I couldn't care less about this 'point'.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Gothic 3 is probably the most enjoyable open world, fantasy Bethesda style game I've personally played (which is a few years ago now). It's a shame I don't really enjoy that type of open world, hiking sim design though (stopped playing when I hit the desert).

I prefer the tighter area and loot design of the earlier Gothic games, as well as the combat. Also RTWP implementation of P&P games is decline, not action mechanics. There are plenty of good games with action mechanics like Dark Souls, Arx Fatalis or Deus Ex.

RTWP in party based combat tends to degenerate into a clusterfuck and generally is not suited to mechanics that were intended to be turn based. Manually pausing fails to be anywhere near as elegant a solution as a turn based system with these sorts of games. It also makes it easier to implement greater quantities of trash mob encounters (an obvious appeal to the hacknslash mentality).

A RTWP solution could work better in a game that doesn't rip out mechanics that were designed for turn based games, but I'm sceptical if this middle ground between tactical turn based combat and hacknslash is really all that appealing.

Kraszu

Prophet
I am find Gothic 3 very re-playable, vast majority of quest are optional to do, so you can not make most of the less interesting ones, and there is pretty big difference in what you will do depending on what ending you choose, and who you will help the most (that could be improved, it is great that you can work for both but in some cases it is too easy to get benefit from both fractions). There is also quite a bit of difference between playing characters that invest skills differently, support spells are very viable for warrior.

The way that the game is constructed have allot of potential. Getting thrown in the world with few things that you need to accomplish to get to the end, and that you can do it in various ways for example buying one of the keys to the temple, or liberating that town to take it makes it more re-playable then Gothic 2 for me. Also on hard without abusing AI it isn't that easy to take over the town, or to even kill patrol of Orcs so you have to plan where to do it, and liberating the town is a major income source. Liberating Vengard before I got very powerful was lots of fun, almost every NPC in the temple had died, and that goes to another point quest NPC can be killed (as logical side effect of what you will do), and there is no NPC that is necessary so it is much more fun to just play with the consequence of not doing all the quests. If you want to get powerful faster often you have to sacrifice some NPC, and quest that they have that you could had done much later.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gothic 3 is better than the previous two simply because the nameless hero's ponytail is gone.

It's very important.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
if i may applaud the individual that tagged this thread as 'incline' :)

i see what you did there, and i must admit, it is a brilliant move..but god damn, lol, you're evil ^^

:bravo:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Haven't found a "run around doing random shit" game as fun as Gothic 3. I had a great time just collecting everything I saw and ending up finding a random guy who wanted five plates I picked up 10 hours previously. I also found completing all the quests in each town and getting my rep to max to be very addictive.

All that stuff was fun but could be called soulless. I don't think that accusation could be made about the art direction and soundtrack - they are really, really good.

Matt's praise = kiss of death. You know the game is bad now.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I thought the post was a troll, picking flowers a la Oblivious and mechanically tallying up REP points in copypasta towns is a great time and addictive...

People actually did the quests in this game?

I thought the best pleasure one could ascertain was mowing down orcs and liberating cities by exploiting that broken combat mechanics. I'm not being sarcastic.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I am currently playing Gothic 4 and while it is not as bad as people make it out to be, it is unremarkable in everything, mundane to a fault. In fact, it is so banal and average that it is now my new benchmark for a third-person action RPG: it does nothing terribly wrong, but it just... does everything an action RPG is supposed to do, with no particular skill, imagination, or design coherence. Even starved as I am, I am not even sure I will last long enough to tick my "there, I played it, I can replay G2 now" box.

It was pretty unremarkable, yes, but the true killer was how it wasn't really an open world. I'm really enjoying Risen 2 right now but in a very similar way the game is kind of ruined by the world being divided up and each section being way too much of a corridor.

Lancehead

Liturgist
So I've finished Gothic 3 (previously left the game after exploring Myrtana and Varant), and I have to say the game grew on me more and more in Nordmar. I agree with Marie on how very well done the open quest design was, even if the quest content was often unremarkable. Beyond the complete overhaul of the combat, the game could have used a bit of tweaking with its XP system: I ended the game at level 81, which is ridiculously high and I had around 80 learning points unspent. Apart from that I also found it weird to receive all the XP and reputation rewards for doing quests before getting them. It's a verisimilitude thing, but I'd have preferred if the rewards were handed out after you inform the quest-giver of your deeds.

Edit: A little thing I really liked about the game was the day-night cycle length which is quite long in real time. I think each in-game minute takes 5 seconds in real time, so that's 2 hours real time for 1 day in-game. This meant the in-game duration for completing the game would be at plausible length; my playthrough was around 48 in-game days. Also, I quite liked long days and long nights; it made the world a bit more verisimilar.

Edit 2: The game could have also used a generic speech skill.

Both Marie and Lancehead are making me want to give Gothic 3 another go. I adored Gothic 2, but could never get into Gothic 3 because of boar stunlocking, the just-mash-lmb melee combat and how blantantly unfinished it was in parts. I know at least the stunlocking was supposedly fixed in a later patch, but the all the little unfinished stuff just got to me after awhile. What really stuck out at me was the fact the Saturas was no longer black, he was just using what I assume is a placeholder model instead.

Still, as a big fan of Gothic 2 I probably owe it to myself to try Gothic 3 again. It's just been hard to justify that when I can just play Gothic 2 or Risen.

Lancehead

Liturgist
The combat is definitely the biggest deterrent to enjoying the game. I recommend sticking to bows, crossbows, or magic.
This is Saturas, by the way (with Community Patch):

iHLlapu9khDXu.jpg

Also, the only thing Risen has really got over Gothic 3 is the polished combat.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Risen also has better C&C. While nothing groundbreaking it beats the MMO-style present in Gothic 3.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Risen also has better C&C. While nothing groundbreaking it beats the MMO-style present in Gothic 3.

How so? The significant divergence Risen has is the Bandits vs Inquisition, whereas Gothic 3 has Orcs vs. Rebels in Myrtana and Hashishin vs. Nomads in Varant. Also, Gothic 3 has systematised it with faction and reputation mechanics. On individual quest level, none of the games really have any notable C&C.

Also, the only thing Risen has really got over Gothic 3 is the polished combat.

Yeah, but I really like the combat systems in Gothic 2 and Risen :rpgcodex:

Being able to beat monsters significantly stronger than you by outfighting them is a huge part of those games to me. Whereas in Gothic 3 I killed a dragon at maybe level 3 with a crossbow while it stood in place, its firebreath harmlessly smashing the foot-tall rock I was standing behind.

edit: VVV

not sure if it was actually level 3, or if i cheesed the trolls somehow. i played Gothic 3 forever ago, probably near launch. but I killed the dragon at a way earlier point than I had any right doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom