Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Gothic 3: The circle is now complete

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I like this one better:

Action RPG's are the cancer that should be purged from the Earth.

And what happened to this, Mandoose:

Z4xW8Jj.jpg

Not ignoring me after all, after such an impressive screenshot?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I did and I am not there, sorry. Metro was butthurt enough to ignore me, but you keep replying to my posts. A bit schizophrenic, aren't we Mandoose?
Schizophrenic? Well you're obviously a guy in there so you are schizophrenicallizing your username. So which is it, are you a tranny that lords in her pretty princess tower or is your wide beastial gash constantly uncorked, plowed to its nethers by the heroic veined monument?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
While, as an oldexfag, I know better than to interrupt a Gothic circle of prayer, I can't help but tell you guys that you full force defense of real time combat in RPGs is totally over the top, unnecassary and un:obviously:.

I may have been defending G3, but i have my limits. Only thing i'd dare to praise in it is level building, which shows in the first Risen too. That fucking clunky combat, i don't even know how it is possible to defend it after something like Dark Souls (bow was good enough though).
But yeah, i suppose after suffering ten hours through it and putting on some nice blinkers, its merits may eventually start to show.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Fair enough, I've got a soft spot the size of Alaska for Daggerfall but it doesn't mean real time combat ain't shit or Bethesda the embodiment of :decline: .

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fair enough, I've got a soft spot the size of Alaska for Daggerfall but it doesn't mean real time combat ain't shit or Bethesda the embodiment of :decline: .
That's too harsh. In a party based game RT combat is indeed shit and I can't understand the mad love for all those Baldur's Gates and Icewind Dales, even here. We could all swallow the combat in PS:T because of everything else being awesome. But BG and ID? With the average writing and lowbrow fodder fantasty plot? Please.

The single character games are an entirely different baby though. Some of the most venerable gaming legends are RT - most people would probably name Deus Ex, Gothics/Risen, Daggerfall/Morrowind and Demon Souls/Dark Souls (I accept older TES games even though I don't like them and I think Dark Souls is shit through and through except the excellent combat). And I don't know anybody who wouldn't love to bits non-RPG games like SS1/SS2, Thief or Half-Life.

And as for that embodiment, I'm always ready to shit on Beware-of-EA more than on Blehtesda.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
That's too harsh. In a party based game RT combat is indeed shit and I can't understand the mad love for all those Baldur's Gates and Icewind Dales, even here. We could all swallow the combat in PS:T because of everything else being awesome. But BG and ID? With the average writing and lowbrow fodder fantasty plot? Please.

:eek:

Some of us prefer a more combat orientated rpg unlike you storyfags who dont care about anything else.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
That's too harsh. In a party based game RT combat is indeed shit... The single character games are an entirely different baby though..

Not that different AFAIC. Turn based, while not used as fully when playing one character only as in a party game, still beats real time. I'd still take Fallout combat over TES anyday. I love IE games, but I'd love them more turn based.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

:eek:

Some of us prefer a more combat orientated rpg unlike you storyfags who dont care about anything else.

Er... read his post again.

Tigranes

Arcane
I liked it when it came out, I just though it was a pity that stunlock & DRM-60-second-stutter & loading times made it literally impossible to play. Now those things are solved, it's a pretty good sequel to G1/2.

I think G3 is a good game (with CP), but the patch cannot address the core failures such as uninteresting exploration, weak storytelling and monotonous questing. Exploration, storytelling and questing and how these three are woven together as an overall means to progression were the prime reason playing the first two Gothics was meaningful and satisfying. Gothic 3 lacked the core of what makes Gothic great, so IMO utterly failed as a sequel.
I thought the plot was meh in every single PB game, to the point that I can't even remember the details of G1/2/3 plot. Indeed G3's weakness is that it doesn't feature core areas like the Old Camp that really did a great job, but I think its areas and quests are done in the same style and philosophy, just not as punchy and not as focused (which is a flaw for the game as a whole). Thus I hold it more as a 'lesser sequel' problem and still a decent game.
The thread actually got me to fire up Gothic 3 again, and I've played every other PB title again in the last couple of years, so we'll see whether my mind's been playing revisionist on me.

Following up I've been playing G3 with Community Patch's Alternative Balancing & AI, done the business in Cape Dun and Reddock and now heading to Montera. I really see far too much continuity in style and execution with G1/2 and even R1. X or Y faction mechanic broken down into X or Y quest choices, freeform exploration, unexpected cavern systems (like finding Reddock the 'other' way), all the while the simple but effective conceit of orc dominance and the disappearance of magic is reinforced consistently. I'm very much enjoying myself.

Hard to say about combat, it feels weak but (1) all PB early game combat has you flailing around not able to do much; (2) the patch seems to have fiddled with a lot of things. I certainly don't remember being able to run backwards and shoot my bow as a viable tactic to kill boars and wolves in vanilla.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hmm, there's Forsaken Gods on sale at Greenmangaming for 2 bucks, the Enhanced Edition.
I always stayed away from this one, hearing all the horror stories, but I've seen a few comments saying the EE is an improvement.
So is it worth the 2 bucks (and more importantly - my time)?

Deleted member 7219

Haven't found a "run around doing random shit" game as fun as Gothic 3. I had a great time just collecting everything I saw and ending up finding a random guy who wanted five plates I picked up 10 hours previously. I also found completing all the quests in each town and getting my rep to max to be very addictive.

All that stuff was fun but could be called soulless. I don't think that accusation could be made about the art direction and soundtrack - they are really, really good.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm, there's Forsaken Gods on sale at Greenmangaming for 2 bucks, the Enhanced Edition.
I always stayed away from this one, hearing all the horror stories, but I've seen a few comments saying the EE is an improvement.
So is it worth the 2 bucks (and more importantly - my time)?

For 2$? Sure, it's Gothic 3 mini edition, only one region to explore, less quests to do automatically. I wouldn't say it's very memorable, but it is the last try to make a good Gothic game. Your character is leveled nicely, so you aren't forced to fear scavengers in the beginning. Loot is also good, it will help you to move through the quests. If you liked at least a little bit G3 you should take it.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I don't understand why people always bash gothic games for combat... it's not great yes... but it's not THAT bad, better than any sandboxy game after daggerfall bar arx fatalis(maybe). I mean at least in gothic games you have to use timing and can dodge enemy attacks. Most bethesda games are just left click to win and enjoy arthritis in later life.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I did and I am not there, sorry. Metro was butthurt enough to ignore me, but you keep replying to my posts. A bit schizophrenic, aren't we Mandoose?
Schizophrenic? Well you're obviously a guy in there so you are schizophrenicallizing your username. So which is it, are you a tranny that lords in her pretty princess tower or is your wide beastial gash constantly uncorked, plowed to its nethers by the heroic veined monument?

You're trying too hard, Mandoose. So which is it, do you ignore me or do you keep replying to my posts? After posting that ignore image twice, it should be an easy choice for you.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

I think that RTwP is still completely different than RT. RTwP can be made to work almost like TB combat, in that you can pause as often as you want and decide what to do. Pure RT without pause is just wrong in an RPG I think, because it makes the game into something of an FPS.

The single character games are an entirely different baby though. Some of the most venerable gaming legends are RT - most people would probably name Deus Ex, Gothics/Risen, Daggerfall/Morrowind and Demon Souls/Dark Souls (I accept older TES games even though I don't like them and I think Dark Souls is shit through and through except the excellent combat). And I don't know anybody who wouldn't love to bits non-RPG games like SS1/SS2, Thief or Half-Life.

Games like Half-Life are good for what they are, but these FPS games do not offer an RPG experience. In fact, FPS experience and RPG experience are so different that trying to marry them in Action RPG's with RT combat is just wrong, in my opinion.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Games like Half-Life are good for what they are, but these FPS games do not offer an RPG experience. In fact, FPS experience and RPG experience are so different that trying to marry them in Action RPG's with RT combat is just wrong, in my opinion.

No offense intended, but isn't that a bit close minded? If people don't try and improve or change old formulas what's the point? Though at the moment there really is too much badly done genre melting pot games on the market, but that doesn't mean it can't be done right one day.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, it may be more fun for FPS players to have more RPG-elements in a game, but that mix is not really an RPG. RT combat requires a totally different approach and mindset compared to playing an RPG with TB or even RTwP combat.

MCA
Well, first of all Gothic is not 1st person.

Oh please. Whether you look at his butt or not, it is still a 1st person 3D game.

As I said, Gothic may be better than those shitty AAA-titles, but it also uses exactly the same 1st person real-time action approach. And that I cannot stomach.

Yes, people with a different opinion must be shitposters by definition.

Factually wrong statements don't count as different opinions. Ignore this cunt now.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Factually wrong statements don't count as different opinions. Ignore this cunt now.

Are you another one of those obsessing over the whole 1st/3rd person BS? Since reading is obviously teh hard for you, here is again what I said:

I already agreed with you that it is technically 3rd person, but for me and others the Gothic games are close enough to 1st person games. Though again, who fucking cares how you call it...

And why don't you go ahead with a good example and ignore me now, so I will not hear from you ever again. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom