Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Gothic 3: The circle is now complete

Lancehead

Liturgist
But in a sandbox style game, you do want that "filler". One, to give a sense of place and a big world. Two, to give weight to moments such as when you finally find some worthwhile loot.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But in a sandbox style game, you do want that "filler". One, to give a sense of place and a big world. Two, to give weight to moments such as when you finally find some worthwhile loot.
Not really. G2 makes you realize that all that filler space is really unnecessary bloat. The world is plenty big and all of it is content rich and well designed. It doesn't need to add weight to moments, because all the moments have weight. Though to be fair, I wouldn't really call G1 or G2 sandbox games. You have a lot of freedom, but it's much more narrative-focused than other games in the genre, even if the story is a bit goofy.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Agree with Aeschylus. Personally I find games filled with filler to have the opposite effect, because by the time I've found an item of great value or gotten to an interesting location, I'm already burned out by having to wade through hours of banal boring shit. When I got my first named weapon in Gothic 1 like 12 hours in, it was a big deal, whereas in Oblivion by then I'd be rolling in 20 different magical weapons with only minute differences between them all.

Lancehead

Liturgist
To make it clear, by "filler" I mean content that isn't explicitly tied to quests, active storyline, and has no explicit loot reward. So "filler" could mean a place that has interesting details that can flesh out the game world, the backstory; things such as culture, politics, religion etc. Such content isn't quest driven or objective oriented, but can be worthwhile by itself to explore. And it's important in a sandbox game.

Agree with Aeschylus. Personally I find games filled with filler to have the opposite effect, because by the time I've found an item of great value or gotten to an interesting location, I'm already burned out by having to wade through hours of banal boring shit. When I got my first named weapon in Gothic 1 like 12 hours in, it was a big deal, whereas in Oblivion by then I'd be rolling in 20 different magical weapons with only minute differences between them all.

That last sentence says you agree with me. When everything is awesome, nothing is.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I couldn't even bring myself to buy the Gothics when they were on sale on GOG. They look too much like the decline games of the last decade.
GET OUT. :mad:

The truth hurts?

dealwithitrachchr.gif

Lancehead

Liturgist
Considering decline (or incline) is relative, you have to specify what they are declining from and in what aspects and specifics, if your comment is to be taken seriously.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The truth hurts?
Uh, no. o_O

See, there is quality trolling, and then there are just outright stupid/incorrect statements. Nice job attempting to cover your utter ignorance with the troll facade though.

Lancehead said:
When everything is awesome, nothing is.
Incorrect. When everything is awesome, everything is awesome; claiming unexceptional parts are needed to accentuate the positive is the excuse of a lazy craftsman. Although I do think we're referring to slightly different things when we talk about filler.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Considering decline (or incline) is relative, you have to specify what they are declining from and in what aspects and specifics, if your comment is to be taken seriously.

I'm talking about all the AAA hiking simulators. For me, Gothic games look too much like those. Plus RT combat is something I don't like in CRPG's either.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
See, there is quality trolling, and then there are just outright stupid/incorrect statements.

Hear hear. So you are saying that the 1st person Gothic games with RT combat do not look like all those shitty 1st person action RPG's that are the very definition of the decline of the previous decade? Gothic may be better than those, but it still is the same 1st person RT combat BS I cannot stand, at least not in RPG's.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Lancehead said:
When everything is awesome, nothing is.
Incorrect. When everything is awesome, everything is awesome; claiming unexceptional parts are needed to accentuate the positive is the excuse of a lazy craftsman. Although I do think we're referring to slightly different things when we talk about filler.
I think we do mean different things by "filler". To make content that isn't related to player character growth (xp, loot etc.) but is interesting to discover and explore, has enough detail, and is logically consistent with the rest of the game world, it requires plenty of craftsmanship.

And regarding the "giving weight to moments", I mean that in terms of pc growth. Because I assume that even players who enjoy the sort of "filler" I'm talking about, would very much want to make their characters grow more powerful, and they derive satisfaction from that.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
See, there is quality trolling, and then there are just outright stupid/incorrect statements.

Hear hear. So you are saying that the 1st person Gothic games with RT combat do not look like all those shitty 1st person action RPG's that are the very definition of the decline of the previous decade? Gothic may be better than those, but it still is the same 1st person RT combat BS I cannot stand, at least not in RPG's.

Well, first of all Gothic is not 1st person.

Gothic is also quite singular in what it does, I've never felt that anything declined into Gothic, Gothic is just an ARPG that takes full advantage of what 3D environments can do for both exploration and real time combat.

Does the opposite of your standard hold true? Is every game looks like Fallout automatically a great game? Is every first person dungeon crawler as brilliant as Wizardry? Your argument holds no water. You're shitposting, fuck off.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Oh please. Whether you look at his butt or not, it is still a 1st person 3D game.

Does the opposite of your standard hold true? Is every game looks like Fallout automatically a great game? Is every first person dungeon crawler as brilliant as Wizardry? Your argument holds no water.

As I said, Gothic may be better than those shitty AAA-titles, but it also uses exactly the same 1st person real-time action approach. And that I cannot stomach.

You're shitposting, fuck off.

Yes, Mr. Oblivion player, your opinion must be the truly :obviously: one around here.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's not just that your opinion is shit, which it is, you express it in a cuntish manner. There's plenty of mechanical details you can criticize about Gothic: the controls, magic and melee being unbalanced, hp bloating and general overpowering of the player character in the endgame. But of course you wouldn't be able to pick any of that out, having never played the game, so you instead just say the game LOOKS SHIT.

Monocause

Arcane

Oh please. Whether you look at his butt or not, it is still a 1st person 3D game.

Dear,

it is not. You're followed by a third party cameraman with an unknown agenda and a taste for voyeurism; he keeps watching your butt and records everything you do. Don't argue well-established naming conventions that have been there before video games started to exist.

Sincerely,
Mono

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's not just that your opinion is shit, which it is, you express it in a cuntish manner.

Now look who's talking. Telling people to fuck off and that their opinion is shit and THEN complaining that you don't like the manner I present my argument in?

There's plenty of mechanical details you can criticize about Gothic: the controls, magic and melee being unbalanced, hp bloating and general overpowering of the player character in the endgame. But of course you wouldn't be able to pick any of that out, having never played the game, so you instead just say the game LOOKS SHIT.

Who cares about mechanical details when it is the fundamental 3D RT action approach that I dislike?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
How the fuck do you not know the difference between first person and third person?

You don't read books, do you?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Hear hear. So you are saying that the 1st person Gothic games with RT combat do not look like all those shitty 1st person action RPG's that are the very definition of the decline of the previous decade?
You mean games like Risen, Div2, and FNV? Deus Ex? Morrowind?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

If you think decline means RT combat then you haven't understood anything since Oct 14, 2012.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Nobody cares what you subjectively like.

This whole forum is about what we subjectively like. Or are there things that you "objectively like"? Jeez, continue your circle-jerk already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom