Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Gothic 3 no-so-GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD

JoeN

Novice
franc kaos said:
suleo said:
EDIT: Damn, they munchkinized combat!

Here's to hoping there is an option to stil use G2 controls...

That's what I'm praying for too, that unlike Bethesda, they recognise that there's more than one type of player out there, and offer more options.
ADD 13 year old Oblivion fan - handholding
semi articulate reader type - easy combat with deep RPG options
Gothic veteran - just try it, we dare you!

Unfortunately Not... Kai R. Explicitly stated that they never implemented the older
scheme.The new scheme is a combination of short and long left clicks and right clicks
(I think holding down the right mouse button is block but the right can be also used for
the various combo hits along with the left... Not sure...)

Texas Red

Whiner
Anyone else saw this over at Rpgdot.com?

"The major three German print mags, GameStar, PC Games and PC Powerplay have reviewed the first Gold Master of Gothic 3 in their current issues, all coming to the conclusion, that it was unplayable bugridden. While PC Powerplay refrained from giving out an actual rating, GameStar and PC Games rated it in the mid 80s.
Nothing uncommon these days, I'm afraid, but I wonder, a) if Gothic will suffer the same public punishment as Dungeon Lords and b) how on earth anyone seriously could call the first Gold Master Gold for public?!"

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Better, I read the mags. I just didn't find anything worth telling, unless you want to hear that when I watched the PC Games video, I felt like weeping because it looked so beautiful.

There was one low blow, however. The lockpicking minigame has been removed entirely. Now, you can tell apart unlocked and locked chests visually, and the lock is automatically opened at the cost of a pick, if you have the necessary perk. You are able to pick easy locks from the start.
Pretty rotten, if you ask me.

Other than that, the magazines could hardly agree on anything other than that Gothic3 is extremely buggy. However, noone but PC Powerplay really found it unplayable.
They couldn't agree if they like the combat system, interface intro movie or if Gothic3 was on par with Oblivion technically and visually.

All I know is, I really, really want to play Gothic3 now.

PS:

I just recall.. In response to the reaction of the community, Jowood gave WoG the first Goldmaster for testing. The testers reported many small flaws, AI bugs and occasional crashes, but the game seemed hardly as bad as PCPP put it.

JoeN

Novice
Well if you combine their main critique:
"
Balance 6/10
The Good: three degrees of difficulties, great monsters guard dangerous locations
The Bad: level is oscillating, rough progress on next level

Combat system 6/10
The Good: many various combos, you need different tactics against every opponent
The Bad: not accurate in big groups, bad co-fighters AI
"
which, as people noted here, describes pretty well the previous instalments and:

Claw said:
I do hear that Gamestar citizized Oblivion for lacking indicators for quest-givers like in WoW. The review in PC Powerplay laments that Gothic3 missed many developments that advanced the genre.
I take the reviews with a pound of salt.

You could mostly disregard their scores (Oblivion is unfortunately the standard
to which all other RPG's will be measured for some time in the future, so expect
even worst scores outside of Deutchland where righteous reviewers will proclaim
their shock that G3 missed on all that lovely innovation)...

Stability and bugs is another thing though. I too, doubt that the game is unplayable
(How would Gamestar produce a 17 page review and some very nice screens with an
unplayable build ? Also certain bugs have a predilection in appearing in certain system
configurations...) But we may have to experience what the Germans did with G1-2.

Lets see how far the first patch gets us (should be out by the 13th).

PS Damn... didnt know the one about lockpicking... awful...

Micmu

Magister
The Bad: level is oscillating, rough progress on next level
Wow, I cannot believe I'm reading this. The game is too difficult for them. No retarded, global level scaling!? What's next in so-called next gen "RPG"s? Default GODMODE ON?
I liked G1/G2 because of the difficulty and really tough monsters you had absolutely no chance to beat at low levels. This way, I was looking forward to crush them later and see what stuff they're guarding.
The Bad: not accurate in big groups, bad co-fighters AI
In that case, the obvious should get 1/10 for combat system, because I've never before tried an action game where allies always jump straight in front of your swings. And then you see you have a bounty on your head out of nowhere...
G3 can't be THAT bad.

Data4

Arcane
franc kaos said:
suleo said:
EDIT: Damn, they munchkinized combat!

Here's to hoping there is an option to stil use G2 controls...

That's what I'm praying for too, that unlike Bethesda, they recognise that there's more than one type of player out there, and offer more options.
ADD 13 year old Oblivion fan - handholding
semi articulate reader type - easy combat with deep RPG options
Gothic veteran - just try it, we dare you!

(offtopic: Why do all PC dictionaries try to spell words in American, even when you set it to British? Recognise has a S not a damn Z, and colour has a U in it... grumble, whinge, complain...).

I've always wondered... is the g in "whinge" silent? Because I respect the Queen's English and all, but "hwinjing" just sounds goofy. :P

-D4

JoeN

Novice
micmu said:
I liked G1/G2 because of the difficulty and really tough monsters you had absolutely no chance to beat at low levels. This way, I was looking forward to crush them later and see what stuff they're guarding.

Actually you did Have a chance of beating them (a slim one, true) If you loaded up with
potions or scrolls (you could buy them or steal them or find them in a cave first. Thats
right ! They are always in that cave not when you reach level x)and utilized the terrain
and studied their fighting style or lured them to some guards etc... You just needed to
use you bloody brain... Or you may have tried in vain (or were unlucky in combat) but
you DID have the option of trying... and the Fun doing so.

And that is what I like about the series...

Crushing them later is loads of fun also ofcourse.

suibhne

Erudite
JoeN said:
Crushing them later is loads of fun also ofcourse.

It would make more sense if the armor/damage system weren't so stupid. Really, that's a minor quibble for me because I love the gameworlds so much - bit it would be a major problem in less enjoyable games. I may love G/G2, but I really wish they'd improve the armor/damage scaling. :?

Anyway, really looking forward to this game. Maybe I should just go ahead and build a new rig now. :lol:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Small heads-up on US version:
It comes out later because Aspy wants to make the introduction more newbie-friendly. As it is, there is a short intro without narration that really doesn't explain anything if you don't know the series.
Voiceovers are identical. No censorship or content/gameplay changes are planned.

JoeN said:
Claw said:
I do hear that Gamestar citizized Oblivion for lacking indicators for quest-givers like in WoW. The review in PC Powerplay laments that Gothic3 missed many developments that advanced the genre.
I take the reviews with a pound of salt.
Now that you mention it, they had a similar complaing about Gothic3: Interactive objects like doors, chests, etc. lack "visible hotspots" apparently.

Yeah, Gamestar does consider Oblivion's "handholding" and "scaling" features a plus, as they remind us in a small Gothic3 vs. Oblivion comparison. Oh, and there is a cute negative point about Gothic: "Level of quests not obvious"

O RPG where art thou? :roll:

Hazelnut

Erudite
The wallet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom