Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Gothic 3 no-so-GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Claw said:
copx said:
Claw said:
He's talking about Gothic3, obviously.

You cannot expect me to remember the original topic of this thread, ok?! :P
Do you code the way you post? :twisted:

No, way better. Probably because I have a proof reader there (the compiler). The "post a reply" box needs GCC like warning options. For Warp Rogue I use:
-Wall -Wextra -ansi -pedantic -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes \
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wshadow -Wmissing-declarations \
-Wold-style-definition
Helps a lot to write clean code, the rest is handled by valgrind.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
No, both English and German are going to be released at the same time. October 13th is still the date.

There's always one that will bite. ;) It was a joke, I vividly remember waiting a fucking long time for gothic 2 and then even longer for the translated expansion. Somehow I'll doubt the game will be nice and stable at launch. Lets just hope there will be plenty of patches.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Gamestar gives 85% which would be 89% if PB fixed some flaws.

As far as I undestand German, and I think there's some bad punctuation in that post, they for example say that combat with multiple opponents is still not stellar and the follower AI is bad.

Kraszu

Prophet
worldofgothic post on forum said:
Graphics 9/10
The Good: very detailed landscapes, nice spell effects, great lighting
The Bad: sometimes ridiculous animations

Music and soundk 8/10
The Good: orchestral soundtrack, very good speech, surroundings sound
The Bad: sometimes bad effects, minors mistakes in speech

Balance 6/10
The Good: three degrees of difficulties, great monsters guard dangerous locations
The Bad: level is oscillating, rough progress on next level

Atmosphere 9/10
The Good: living world, reputation system works great, day/night system, weather
The Bad: various logical mistakes, partly bad AI

Controls 8/10
The Good: simple controls, well-arranged statistics, useful list of skills
The Bad: journal, menu

Content 10/10
The Good: three big parts, many quests, three fractions, re-playability, countless secrets to explore

Quests and story 9/10
The Good: interesting story, quests fit well in the story, more ways how to solve quest
The Bad: sometimes laborious orders

Combat system 6/10
The Good: many various combos, you need different tactics against every opponent
The Bad: not accurate in big groups, bad co-fighters AI

Characters 10/10
The Good: great skills system, magic for close and range combat, useful professions, heros development can be planned well

Items 10/10
The Good: specific weapons and armors for specific fractions, many spells, option of making own items

Oarfish

Prophet
So clunky combat and some balance issues? The series has always had those.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
"Balance 6/10 drei Schwierigkeitsgrade, gefährliche Gebiete werden von großen Monstern bewacht. Niveau schwankt, zähes Aufleveln"
So it's tough to level up. Oh dear.. a game that's challenging, what a scandal!

"Niveau schwankt"

Difficulty level is oscillating (?), like always in Gothic? It was never a good idea to attack a
Black Troll or Golem at level 3, with a broken club and some cheap leather armor..
If that's what they don't like about the balance, great.

Elwro

Arcane
Yeah, it's strange. If they like the fact that there are strong beasts in dangerous areas (implying that there are weaker creatures in safer regions), why don't they like the fact that the difficulty level is not constant?

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Here's an interesting article from a guy named Charon314. He "reviewed" the game for some hours on a Gamestar rig. It's in German, sorry.. but as some people here understand the Muttersprache I thought it's worth posting.
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/sh ... p?t=138472
For a quick sum up.. he found lots of bugs in the old goldmaster version and didn't like the combat interface too much. But he enjoyed the game very much because of the lively gameworld and the lovely atmosphere. His bottom line is.. I'll buy it, the problems will get solved pretty soon - but it would have been better to delay the game for some weeks.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elwro said:
Yeah, but I thought they explicitly stated they improved group combat...
Yeah, only now the mags are complaining that it's too difficult to stay fixed on one opponent - when originally the problem was getting stuck on one opponent even though others were closer.
PC Games on the other hand seems to like the combat.

I do hear that Gamestar citizized Oblivion for lacking indicators for quest-givers like in WoW. The review in PC Powerplay laments that Gothic3 missed many developments that advanced the genre.
I take the reviews with a pound of salt.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
If it remains close to the first two and doesn't completely sell out I won't give a shit what any reviewer says.

tetsuo

Scholar
first benchmarks from the german mag Pcgames
ahryjpu6pktpwqgtj.jpg

the engine is very unoptimized as it seems.

Elwro

Arcane
Hm. The minimal resolution they use is 1024x768. Seems I'm a few years behind since I still have no problems with playing games in a lower res. (I have a small CRT monitor so that's perhaps it.)
Anyway, Oblivion runs similarly on my PC in 640x480 and 1024x768. Weird...

So, we can start the most popular G3 threads on the net:
OP: "Will my PC run G3? I have an Athlon 64 3500+, 1 Gig of RAM and a nVidia 6600 GT with 256 MBs"
Reply #1: "Lol u suck change the video card and maybe it'll run if you turn everything off"
Reply #2: "Fuck you people are always boasting about your PC's specs in such threads, it's OBVIOUS it'll run fine on such a PC! I, however have only a P4 3.4 Ghz with 2 SLI 6600 cards and 768 MBs of RAM, it's me who has to worry"
Reply #3 "Fagz"

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Looks like I'll be turning all the details off and running the game at 640x480 like I did with Oblivion.

Elwro

Arcane
Sovy Kurosei said:
Looks like I'll be turning all the details off and running the game at 640x480 like I did with Oblivion.
Hey, I did the same, found out that the game looked worse than Morrowind, and then experimented, changed the res to 1024x768, switched from AA to HDR, turned all details on and somehow the game runs fine. It slows down during some fights, but it's bearable. Also, did some tweaking with the ini file but I don't remember it now.
And the default option the game started in was 640x480 with everything turned off.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Elwro:

What kind of computer are you running? I have an Athalon 2500+, 512 MB of Ram and a Radeon 9600 Pro. Fiddled with the resolution and details and couldn't even get the game to run without being jerky in 800x600 resolution, nevermind with some details turned up and the resolution jumping up to 1024x768.

Although I don't know why I am asking, not going to be playing that game again. ;)

Elwro

Arcane
Sovy Kurosei said:
Elwro:
What kind of computer are you running?
Athlon 3500+, 1024 MBs of RAM and a GeForce 6600 GT. I was kinda surprised to see how awful the game looked with the default details.

Hazelnut

Erudite
My machine handled Oblivion fine with some tweaking and not worrying about > 25 fps. Unfortunately I'm not even on that chart, but slightly below the low spec with a XP2200, 6600GT and 512Mb RAM. I don't mind compromising my framerates (hell - I played Morrowind on a p3-500 + gf3), but to average 12fps is ridiculous!

Guess I'll be waiting for the performance optimisation patch then..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom