Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 would be 5 times better if the fucking trees faded out when near

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Gothic definitely looks more dated than Gothic 2. That said I still find the visuals great. Anything crafted by hand will always end up looking more natural than something generated by a computer.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've always used Postal's texture upgrade for Gothic 2. I feel that it makes Gothic 2 look better without detracting too much from the original atmosphere. But that was 5 years ago.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He, the ending of the Velaya mod is retarded - it's not even translated, they just gave up lol. The quest that finishes chapter 2 thou, is one of the better ones i'e seen in the engine (but with some npc schedule problems - it's a zombie quarantine in the port of the city, where zombies rise at night, and you mustn’t get hit). Would be even better with a hard time limit in addition to the soft one (you can protect yourself against the disease by a spell :roll: )

Lancehead

Liturgist
I've been playing Gothic 3 for a while now; my introduction to the Gothic series. Man, it's damn boring. I've explored most of Myrtana, but Varant all but killed my interest in the game. Those fucking ruins, some most tedious stuff ever. I was only able to bear Myrtana because it looked pretty with all the woods and hills. I'm now at Nordmar, but not sure if I can take any more of this game.

Of course, that is all besides the shitty character system, combat, and quest design.

Also, trees not fading out is annoying, especially on hills and hill tops where you can't see anything.

BobtheTree

Savant
I quit playing Gothic 3 after about 6 hours. Love the feel of the world, but the questing is basically MMO grinding garbage.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Well, I'm being very tolerant with this game, mostly because it's my first Gothic game. I'll give the snows of Nordmar a chance. If it doesn't hold my interest, I'll start Gothic 2.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Are you playing with the Community patch? You really should be. Nobody except those with the patience of a saint should attempt Gothic 3 vanilla these days.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The community patch doesn't fix the boring content -- it just makes the game more stable.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, but the community patch is still pretty mandatory.

Hmmm, I should go for my kill-everything playthrough of g3. If only I could finish the first attempt.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not denying that but his response was to people complaining about the content not the technical performance. I played through G3 once and have never had the desire to replay.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I have the community patch installed. With the alternative balancing and AI turned on. The combat is still mostly unbearable, though. The swing animations and the hit feedback are just too off and unintuitive. I kinda think playing with a controller might make it a bit better.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Combat is horrendous. It's the engine and how they designed it. The Physics are awful.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Did the game suffer from rushed development? Because I can't see how awful the quests are otherwise. I thought the rebels vs. orcs in Myrtana had good potential for interesting questing, where you could have rebels, orcs, and civilians/mercenaries each with different motivations, that vary from city to city. You could have quests that give meaningful content for different "classes". But all that stuff is made quite uninteresting with MMO-style quests. And you don't really have much reason to choose one side over the other because most of the quests from both factions can be done up until the "attack the rebel hideout/liberate city" point comes.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Damn you, you made me prelay the game yet again...

Edit:
Lancehead;

Gothic 3 really suffers from many things, it became stable with community patches but as you said most of quests are filter/ boring MMO type quests.
And melee combat in G3 is clumsy too, you should have gone caster route :) It at least offers some enterteinment with some spells.

Try Gothic 1/2 without getting more bored :) and play Gothic 2 with Night of The Raven expack.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not going to get any better. G3 isn'tthe best to play first because it's widely considered the worst of the PB games. G2 NOTR > G1 > Risen >>> Gothic 3. Forsaken Gods and Arcania don't count as they were made by another developer. After playing G1 and G2 you'll appreciate how they tried to create the world at-large that shaped the events of the prior game. In the end, though, the scope of their ambition was too much. Risen has a more 'Gothic' feel than G3.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I think I'll just start Gothic 2 now. Any recommended non-gameplay mods for it?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No mods needed. There might be some graphical ones but fuck 'em. Only major bug to watch out for is this one:

After initially giving Lares the ornament (a long, long time ago?), you can select dialog option: "OK, let's go". He will then ask where and you can select 'travel to water mages' or 'Onar's farm'. Never select Onar's farm, as that will permanently remove his travel options. You must first go to the water mages. Later, after talking to water mage Nefarius, you can then ask Lares to go to the forest with you. Only after these two trips should you select Onar's farm, and only if you don't know the way.

You'll know it when you see it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No mods needed. There might be some graphical ones but fuck 'em. Only major bug to watch out for is this one:

After initially giving Lares the ornament (a long, long time ago?), you can select dialog option: "OK, let's go". He will then ask where and you can select 'travel to water mages' or 'Onar's farm'. Never select Onar's farm, as that will permanently remove his travel options. You must first go to the water mages. Later, after talking to water mage Nefarius, you can then ask Lares to go to the forest with you. Only after these two trips should you select Onar's farm, and only if you don't know the way.

You'll know it when you see it.

There's a patch that fixes it, though.

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/foru...II-Die-Nacht-des-Raben-2-6-(-weitere-Patches)

Fixes several bugs. Should work for the English version too, I guess.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think I'll just start Gothic 2 now. Any recommended non-gameplay mods for it?
No mods, though in addition to what Metro mentioned there's also a "Bug" of sorts involving vendors -- they'll always equip the most powerful weapon in their store's inventory after the first time you talk to them, so save before talking to weapon merchants in case they have something awesome. Particularly the guy on the docks.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Thanks guys, I'll try the patch JarlFrank mentioned. NotR 2.6 is the same as Gothic II Gold, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom