Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 would be 5 times better if the fucking trees faded out when near

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, they still haven't fixed Lares gamebreaking bug that screws most people that are playing the first time. After nine years.

Actually yes, the mod I was talking about includes the fix, and there's two seperate patches that include the fix too.

Stonewolf

Augur
i doubt it, i played very loosely optimized char and i remember i had like 30-40 more STR then the best sword required

Dragon Slicer - DMG 190 STR 160

Really? You had ~200 STR when you got DS? You sure you're thinking about NOTR, not G2 vanilla?

Actually yes, the mod I was talking about includes the fix, and there's two seperate patches that include the fix too.

GOG version, which is 2.7, doesn't include that. You're forced either to look for some obscure patches or to be stuck while trying to get to expansion content and have to use cheats to get the quest item. If you even know you're stuck. Just take a look at the amount of posts concerning not being able to do the ornament quest.

Murk

Arcane
i doubt it, i played very loosely optimized char and i remember i had like 30-40 more STR then the best sword required

If you mean one-handed then you had about 160 STR, if you mean two-handed then you had 200 STR.

Either case that's the stat you end up with if you meta-game and min-max your stats. You can, supposedly, get over 200 but even if you save all STR potions, apples, stews, and tablets to the end -- you will most likely end up around 170ish.

I actually encountered the ornament bug but, for some reason resolved itself. After doing every other quest related to getting that ornament to Saturas the game put the dialog back in. I do not know if this was some other hiccup or if it was a fix, but it never actually killed my game.

Still, that's only one man's story.

Murk

Arcane
^ Well, you only need 60 dex to use the Master's Sword, which is one of the best 1h weapons in the game. For 2h weapons that might be true though.

Or no Dex for Beliar's Claw which is the best one ;D

Murk

Arcane
^ Might have been it as I had dragon hunter's armor when I went in.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
^ Well, you only need 60 dex to use the Master's Sword, which is one of the best 1h weapons in the game. For 2h weapons that might be true though.

Or no Dex for Beliar's Claw which is the best one ;D
I guess if you count the extra damage then maxed out Beliar's Claw is better. Still, you can get the Master's Sword very early in the game (as soon as you save up 2400 gold), and it has 10 more damage than a maxed Beliar's Claw.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You can also loot a master sword from Cassia's corpse, though it might be easier for a newbie to sacrifice some HPs at a Beliar shrine to just buy it quickly.

Murk

Arcane
Free one at Xardas' old tower -- if you have enough arrows you can kill the demon by letting it get trapped in the door way. I usually get that one as I probably won't have 60 dex until I get that quest anyway (visit Garond in the valley), tho in this last run I did but only because I avoided a lot of other skills/stats I usually take.

I like to do a suicide dash with a snapperweed or speed potion for the Rapier (saber) by the trolls near Onar's Farm as well, it's a good boost up and can be done really early and easily.

If you have no STR, Beliar's Claw is way better because the 100 magic damage penetrates defense -- if you have STR then you should be using something other than Master Sword anyway (like Orc Slayer or whatever).

The 10% one-handed skill bonus can be the difference between being a rookie or a fighter/master but it's easy to overcome.

Someone calculated damage output with 200 STR and 100% weapon proficiency and Beliar's Claw is the best one-handed weapon, with Berserker Axe barely beating it. Now, in reality, the Claw is still better because of faster attack and the odds of you never reaching 200 STR.

The 100 damage may not seem like much but not only is it armor-piercing it also does a minor AOE effect, plus at max level it goes off something like 40% of the time.

Even as a STR character Beliar's Claw is often better than many other weapons simply because the 100 damage is just so useful -- especially if you don't have 100+ str yet.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This mod man. It's a real pity the translation was so butchered, some nice fetch quest variations here (and aren't they all?).
This one had a quest to 'tame' some scavenger species. You had to figure out which sex the scavenger was by behaviour and lead one exemplar of each sex to a enclosure. You could use a item that when dropped makes the beast ignore everyone to peck at it - but it was easier to dodge their blows and lead them on by natural aggressiveness (but need to use it sometimes to prevent the AI attacking them if the watch them land a blow on you or them).
There is also a potion system replacement (a new 'super' potion that gives out resistances to make up for the lower tier armours), as well a very potent 'ultimate' one hander (140, really needed because you're fighting hordes (3-5) of orcs and orc elites and lizardmen by the end of chapter 2, and i think they might have more armour - obviously, i'm kiting).
I was never much good at gothic melee and now i'm kinda regretting not investing those points of sweet ranged attacks (but the 140+5 one hander was too seductive). There's a very effective bow arrow variation for consumables (flaming) that would make life much easier at a distance.

The... game... is also full of quests that have 'come back later for reward lol' timers, which i'm not sure if i like, but did like it when it was used as a red herring (the solution was completely different).

There was also a very funny message if you tried to access the floor of the fire monastery (not so funny with the pyramid).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BTW, does additional DEX give out additional benefits on DEX swords like i assume STR does to damage on STR swords in NoTR?

About the master sword: there is a very stupid unresolved bug related to it and any equipable item on a seller (even with the ironkeep patch). Apparently when you access the store interface with those npcs they realize that stuff is in 'their' inventory, and subsequently they notice 'hey this sword is better than what i have' and equip the thing if they satisfy the stat requirements. It's stupid because as far as i can tell (logically), this can be just workedaround by duplicating the sword; and it's annoying on the master sword case because the seller can equip it, and you're fucked after you realize he had it, since he will and is surrounded by paladins, so you can't beat him up - maybe at night IDK.
The seller is some militia dude on the pier, to newbies reading this.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
BTW, does additional DEX give out additional benefits on DEX swords like i assume STR does to damage on STR swords in NoTR?

I don't think str/dex stats are added in melee damage, only in ranged damage. So str for xbow and dex for bow.

The inventory bug sucks, but you can just not go to him until you're ready to buy it or just find it elsewhere (Cassia's corpse).

Stonewolf

Augur
Try going high mana without spells next time too.

Anyways, I feel like playing some Gothic-wannabie game. Should I play G3 or Risen, dudes?

I don't think str/dex stats are added in melee damage, only in ranged damage. So str for xbow and dex for bow.

G2 melee damage formula:

(weapon damage + STR - target's protection)/10 for normal hits.

Crits are without /10. DEX instead of STR for ranged and it's always crit.

Tagaziel

Scholar
Gothic 3's a decent open world RPG, especially with the community patch. It's not really optimized, though, so prepare for long loading times and some weird graphics. The atmosphere's splendid, though.

Risen is much less ambitious than Gothic 3, but far more stable and focused.

Matter of preference, really.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Someone calculated damage output with 200 STR and 100% weapon proficiency and Beliar's Claw is the best one-handed weapon, with Berserker Axe barely beating it. Now, in reality, the Claw is still better because of faster attack and the odds of you never reaching 200 STR.

There are a few enemies the sparks from the Claw can't hit, though? Or could it be just the last boss. Berserker's Axe has a relatively short reach as well, I'm not sure how it compares to the 2h Claw.

Stonewolf

Augur
Claw 2H is crap unless you get it really early, but then again you can just get DS instead if you want to minmax.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Even with the patch, they were pretty long for me.

I don't care about loading times and the occasional stutter when the game doesn't need to load just to move into town or even into a little hut like the shitty Oblivion does.

Captain_Obvious

Scholar
So what are the piranha people working on these days, anyway? Couldn't find any info, anywhere...

CorpseZeb

Learned
Probably, they meditate about Risen 3...

Ps. ... or 'bout numerous DLC's for Risen 2...
Ps2. Playing Risen 2 - now - and it hasn't enough "Gothic" ooze to be really called Risen 2 (in the similar sense of progression that we have in - G1-G2 - for example).
Ps3. That "Patty" or "Betty" or something is real p... off.

Murk

Arcane
There are a few enemies the sparks from the Claw can't hit, though? Or could it be just the last boss. Berserker's Axe has a relatively short reach as well, I'm not sure how it compares to the 2h Claw.

Only last boss. I want to say the 2H claw has shorter range than the longer 2H swords (longest range is 140 with the Ore Dragon Slayer, the Dragon Slicer is at 120) but I can't find the actual numbers to claim that. From my own use in-game it just seems shorter. Berserker's axe is a reach of 90 which is... well, shorter than quite a few one-handed weapons.

I wouldn't say it's crap -- it's the most useful until you can get 100 STR and dump your STR items to get access to the Ore Dragon Slayer or Wrath of Innos but even then if your weapon skill is low the 50% chance to proc the piercing damage is great and worth it against straight damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom