Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 Heights of Power Mod

bloodlover

Arcane
I have started playing this game with the above mentioned mod.

Features:

- Several New Weapons, both Melee and Ranged
- Some Existing Weapons have been made stronger
- Bows/Crossbows which add bow/crossbow talent
- A New Special Weapon, upgradable at Innos Shrines!
- Many Armors have been made stronger and offer better protection
- Belts for Paladin's/Dragon Hunter's Armor
- New Jewelry
- Elixirs of Strength/Dexterity offer a +5 bonus.
Those were basically what I had implemented before or was planning to add. Here's what I'm still adding, you guys will love this.

Quote:
- XP Yields of most quests have been doubled or tripled, or even more in some cases.
- LP costs are static, will only cost 1 LP per skill point to train Statistics or Weapon Talents.
- Costs less LP to learn certain special skills (ie hunting, alchemy, etc.)
- New Weapons to Forge.
- Stone Tablets are now far more effective.
- Stats can now be trained up to 300.
- Joining the Militia now adds +10% to all your weapon talents, Joining the Mercenaries now grants a +15 bonus to your Strength/Dexterity, Joining the Monastery gives you a +25 Mana Bonus.
- King's Sorrel, Dragonroots, and Goblin Berries are now far more plentiful!
That was the nice part, here's where it gets ugly.
Quote:
- All enemies will now be SIGNIFICANTLY tougher, they are now twice as strong in some cases. However they will yield far more XP.
- The Dragons are now truly fearsome adversaries, the weakest of them has been made nearly as tough as the Undead Dragon, and for the Undead Dragon, well.... he's pretty evil now . You will CRY when you fight them now, trust me!
- There will be waayyyyy more Orcs in the Valley of Mines, making it look more like an area under siege, as opposed to it looking like the orcs are having some sort of rally. (UR-SHAK for President!)
- Actual Orcs behind the Orc Wall, *gasp* did I say that? Of course, you'll have to find your way over first. The Valley of Mines will get a lot cooler, and the Orcs a lot tougher! Of course, the mighty alien dwarf's warning will still be there, but go a little farther and you will be cursing the lying bastard!

I am enjoying it so far even though it's hard as hell. Has anyone else played with it? Would be good if someone could give some general tips to survive this. I am getting slaughtered in VoM at level 18 so I think I should backtrack a little since stuff starts to respawn once you start chapter 2. I am finding a lot of great dex based weapons and it's kind of frustrating since I went for the 2h paladin. 1h combat seems more fluid though and the range that 2h gives me is not as great as I was expecting. A paladin with 1h sword and a bow does not fit my RP needs though. One last thing: I learned to skin animals early in the game, for cash but it's not bringing very much, at least for the moment. I can just skin wolves, rats and boars and they don't really give much gold. I don't dare touch the worgs. Will this get better later? Everywhere I read, skinning seems to be the money making machine.

Ty for reading.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hımm, sounds interesting. Most changes scream overpower for our nameless hero BTW
Not really sure about how tougher enemies will balance that changes, after all surviving in Gothic games relly on not getting hit in early stages(especially in NotR)
I'm going to try this soon, probably :) you made me curious.

Skinning brings good gold if you become bowyers apprentice(Bosper?) though it gets better only after wargs/shadow beasts. He buys skins from you for their full price. Also Black Trolls skin can net you good amount of gold and XP if you like being a jerk.
Other hunting skills help with gold too. Though not as good as thieving :smug:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sorry to go off the rail here, but speaking of mods, check this out :

Even better :

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Even tougher Gothic2? LoL nope thanks.

Mods sounds like a mess (tougher enemies and more stuff/gold/XP) and it's for rather die hard fans, who can make ridiculous stuff like beating Ork Elite with a dagger like this fella here.

I have so many mods to play... for now I'm playing Global Mod that add lot of stuff (but now selling skins give you mere coin)
and have new location.
Mapa_DP.jpg

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Huh? You can do that in options. :M
Wtf is this shit? There is no visible difference. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the retard who faps in the background has made an extremely low resolution video to demonstrate the gorgeousness of grafffixxx.:roll:
Have you tried it?

GrainWetski

Arcane
Huh? You can do that in options. :M
Wtf is this shit? There is no visible difference. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the retard who faps in the background has made an extremely low resolution video to demonstrate the gorgeousness of grafffixxx.:roll:
Have you tried it?
1080p is "extremely low resolution" now? That's ridiculous.

Gord

Arcane
Have you tried it?

The biggest (and obvious) visual differences are better shadows and water, real-time shadows and reflections, stuff like HBAO and support for things like normal mapping (if the textures allow it, I guess). Most things can be toggled, though, so if you need vanilla graphics, that's possible as well for the purists amongst us. In that case you can still profit from better performance on modern systems. It's still in development though, and far from finished as I understand.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Hmm.. My bad then. I'm pretty sure i could usually switch to high resolutions in embedded videos too so didn't even bother to go youtube.

edit: no, they are 360 only on tube too

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How about jumping to HTML5 wagon? Or installing plugins for browser (like YT center).
There is new mod for Gothic1 that introduce some sort of mini bosses, I liked that system more. Not to mention that mod (Gothic: Enhanced Edition) improve game in every aspect, filling thing that feels abandoned while developement of the original game (like bandits, becoming guru or castle guard etc.).

From the OP quote, it sounds like this grand modder just tripled XP for everything, buffed every piece of equipment, and rendered Learning Points inconsequential. Couple these with stronger enemies and the game should be going back to square one. Am I missing something?

bloodlover

Arcane
From the OP quote, it sounds like this grand modder just tripled XP for everything, buffed every piece of equipment, and rendered Learning Points inconsequential. Couple these with stronger enemies and the game should be going back to square one. Am I missing something?

Well it removes the need to carefully invest your points and farm beasts for xp and drink elixirs at a certain time in the game.

Looks like a bad, bad mod. Why would you turn Gothic into a power stomp?

Except it's not a stomp. The game gets really hard and if you fuck up once when fighting you might as well reload. The extra stats you get from the armor REALLY helps, even if we are talking about the leather one.

Eyeball

Arcane
That makes sense in a game like Dark Souls that has a non-horrible combat system. Gothic has a horrible combat system. Why do you want to make that shit "1 mistake means reloading" hard?

Tigranes

Arcane

Well it removes the need to carefully invest your points and farm beasts for xp and drink elixirs at a certain time in the game.

Looks like a bad, bad mod. Why would you turn Gothic into a power stomp?

Except it's not a stomp. The game gets really hard and if you fuck up once when fighting you might as well reload. The extra stats you get from the armor REALLY helps, even if we are talking about the leather one.

I'm not saying it becomes easy. I'm saying it's like playing BG1 and fighting epic level Sarevok with your epic level party. Why? One of the very cornerstones of the Gothic experience is limited power, limited capabilities, scarcity of certain resources... Gothic games don't even have a very robust and complex character development path, so it's not even that satisfying to get 'all the skills'.

You never needed to grind that much in Gothic 2 (though depending on the player you did need to do it some), but uh... I'm delighted for you if you really enjoy "removing the need to carefully invest your points".

bloodlover

Arcane
I never said you get all skills so read again. You still have to choose a path to focus on and you are still fucked if you spread the points. But you don't have to use 20LP to get +5 STR or save elixiirs for when they matter the most.

The gameplay is the same, the quests are the same, the world is the same.

Tigranes

Arcane
First you say things like the mod removes the need to carefully invest points, which is a horrible change. Then you say the mod doesn't change anything. Go on?

I don't want to play a Gothic where I level up superfast and I roflstomp everyone, and I also don't want a Gothic where I level up superfast and fight superstrong enemies. Neither works well with Gothic's world and systems design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom