Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 DX11 patch

Ivan

Arcane
I was never able to, or figure out if possible, to stun lock in Risen 1. They must have changed the combat system in Risen 2.

nomask7

Arcane
One thing I can say in favor of Risen 3's combat is that it's challenging. If I didn't use an NPC companion who can heal me regularly, I'd be dead pretty often (I'd recall I'm playing on hard though, and maybe I just suck).

Ivan

Arcane
nah. even by holding down the lmb combat was a tedious slog. i just did the sane thing and power attcked, backstep, power attack, rinse and repeat

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Risen 1 combat is one of the best action combats ever. Timing is king, you can backstep, sidestep, use shield and combos. It's not visceral awesome Dark Souls ofc but it's engaging in its own way.

They completely fucked it up in R2, don't remember the specific anymore but I bought and played it on launch and it was fucking terrible. I think they disabled the sidesteps and shields so it was all about who starts stunlocking first - the mob or you. It caused such a uproar they added backstep with the first hotfix. Wtf they were thinking, noone knew. With backstep the combat is not bad, I remember the fights with jaguars are pretty good, but without the sidestep and shield most of the tactics is gone.

For Risen 3 they revamped the combat again, to make it more visceral and awesome ofc. They partly succeeded, it's faster and somewhat fun, especially the magic path (which, tbh, was always shit in PB games), but still not as tactical and enjoyable as R1. And even if it was the rest of the game is such a protracted, tiresome, uninspired, repetitive slog it wouldn't matter. I bought the game with all the DLCs but half way through I couldn't wait for it to end and after that I quickly uninstalled without even touching the additional content.

EDIT: Just found my review on Steam and remembered fully. Shudder.

Risen 3 is just too a blatant attempt to extract some more money from the Risen 2 engine and assets without too much effort.

This game still retains some of PB's trademark systems and there IS some enjoyment to be found if you look hard enough. On the other hand it just exudes an uninterested, glassy, dreary atmosphere. The story is a complete joke, the writing lacks the spark and wit of Risen 2, NPCs are vapid and long winded, quests are boring, character models and entire areas are cynically rehashed and reused and the combat, the greatest strength of PB games, isn't very satisfying either. There's way too much of it and it stops being challenging or interesting very quickly, especially if you go for the mage build. You're just blasting hordes of trash mobs again and again into oblivion. Sometimes it feels like a 3rd person Diablo which is the complete opposite of what PB games traditionaly strived for.

Many fans claimed Risen 2 marked the end of true Pyranha Bytes but Risen 2, even though a significant decline, is still worth playing. Risen 3 is not. It's cynical, disinterested, boring and routine rehash of Risen 2, nothing more.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Risen 1 combat is one of the best action combats ever. Timing is king, you can backstep, sidestep, use shield and combos.
sorry but we must have played different games. my main problem is that enemies don't have wind up animations so there's nothing to REACT to. the combat was awful, particularly when you consider that most, if not all, enemies are guilty of "tracking" you. your best bet is to back up an enemy against a wall and hack away.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Risen 1 combat is one of the best action combats ever. Timing is king, you can backstep, sidestep, use shield and combos.
sorry but we must have played different games. my main problem is that enemies don't have wind up animations so there's nothing to REACT to. the combat was awful, particularly when you consider that most, if not all, enemies are guilty of "tracking" you. your best bet is to back up an enemy against a wall and hack away.

You don't need wind up animations, you react to their timing, that's the whole point. No idea what you mean by "tracking". And the autoattack spam is precisely what you don't wanna do in a PB game.

nomask7

Arcane
Magic was overpowered in Gothic 2 as well, except in the very beginning.

BTW, they added harder difficulties for Risen 3 in some patch, and I can guarantee you the game isn't easy for a melee fighter.

As for boring quests, Piranha Bytes has never had interesting quests on the whole. Gothic 2 works so well because the maps and places that the quests make you travel have been so well done (in addition to the monsters and monster placement being excellent, of course). The quests themselves are nothing special.

The rehashing comment is fair but doesn't make a convincing argument for avoiding Risen 3 if you haven't played Risen 2.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Risen 2+3 are not really good games, but i had my fair share of fun with them. Especially the beginning, when you have to fight to survive is always fun in a PB game (even gothic3 is fun until the madness unfolds completely)

And their combat, even in Risen2, is lightyears better than in Gothic 3.

Ivan

Arcane
You don't need wind up animations, you react to their timing, that's the whole point.
what are you reacting to? you can dodge preemptively, sure. what i meant by tracking was, like in DS, if you try to sidestep the enemy's swing or aim will "track" follow the player. remember when enemies i DS raise their swords and seem to twist their feet around to find where you dodge to? that shit. hence why i just said fuck it and did strong attack, backstep, strong attack spam. which was disappointing since my Strength was absurdly high.

i doubt anyone else will vouch for Risen 1's combat, i think its best quality is its towns and exploration tools.

Ivan

Arcane
booted up Gothic 3 w/ comm patch. Holy shit the combat is beyond atrocious. UNINSTALLED

maybe some other day when I've run out of better games to play.

Sykar

Arcane
booted up Gothic 3 w/ comm patch. Holy shit the combat is beyond atrocious. UNINSTALLED

cea092750c958478ecac42c78a155fa6.jpg

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Only way to enjoy Gothic 3 is play as a mage and rush for some stone tablets and trainers right from the beginning. After getting mana regen passive (yeah in a Gothic game...) and lightning bolt, you never need to go in melee.
I had some fun casting "Enrage/Berserk" on kings guards and loot phat loot afterwards, I must admit.

Ivan

Arcane
how the fuck ppl suffered through the combat is beyond me. Risen 1 feels like ULTIMATE COMBAT compared to this molasses shite.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I tried G3 when it came out, was broken, played later on a community patch and got bored after liberating a few cities. Tried again a few years later on a newer community patch and did the same thing. Just lost interest in exploring, liberating towns and knowing there was nothing interesting to find. Really wanted to like it but doubt I'll ever try it again.

Risen 2 looked and felt like a console game right from the beginning but got over that. Unfortunately after the third island I just lost all interest and was bored. Will never try R3 because burned twice and all that.

I liked Risen 1. Yeah, the last bit/half is a bit of a slog and I couldn't figure out the stupid 'boss' at the end and just watched it on YouTube. The game is worthwhile although they needed to mix up the long dungeon crawl at the end with more stuff from the beginning.

As to EXLAX I don't really have any hope, PB lost their spark and aren't interested or capable of making a good game anymore.

Deleted Member 16721

I have videos of a few older builds of this project on my YouTube channel. I think I did a video or 2 for this in 4K resolution, too.

Pretty neat mod. Makes the game look graphically enhanced, obviously, and the performance is/was a solid 60 FPS. I like it for the longer view distances and stuff like that.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Any of you tried running G2 using dgVoodoo2's .dlls?? It supports up to DX8.1, and did a great job of adding 4x MSAA and 16x AF to Omikron (DX7 game iirc), forces window and custom resolutions, and should be able to do the same with G2. No shitty bloom, just a system-level tweak to rendering what's already there.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Any of you tried running G2 using dgVoodoo2's .dlls?? It supports up to DX8.1, and did a great job of adding 4x MSAA and 16x AF to Omikron (DX7 game iirc), forces window and custom resolutions, and should be able to do the same with G2. No shitty bloom, just a system-level tweak to rendering what's already there.
Interesting, is it worth using it along side the DX11 mod?

To be honest, with the latest versions of System Pack & DX11 (for G2), Gothic 1 & 2 run pretty much flawless on my PC now. Never have any problems.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

[QUOTE="Junmarko, post: 4916247, member: 13629"To be honest, with the latest versions of System Pack & DX11, Gothic 1 & 2 run pretty much flawless on my PC now. Never have any problems.[/QUOTE]

Yep. The older DX11 upgrade version I tried makes the game run beautifully. Long draw distances, enhanced resolution and a smooth 60 FPS.

Oh, and if you're reading this and have limited FPS in Gothic 1, make sure you download the FPS uncapper mod thing. Life is better in 60 FPS.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Interesting, is it worth using it along side the DX11 mod?

To be honest, with the latest versions of System Pack & DX11, Gothic 1 & 2 run pretty much flawless on my PC now. Never have any problems.
No idea. Is the dx11 mod done, no gameplay bugs?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
No idea. Is the dx11 mod done, no gameplay bugs?
For Gothic 2 it's pretty much complete. The current preview build (v17.5) is the most optimised it's ever been. Very rare hiccups, and only two visual bugs I've noticed, which have workarounds.

Gothic 1 is getting close to the same level, it's current snapshot is leagues better than the last, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's still very glitchy. But with the first demo of Gothic Reloaded mod, the coder behind DX11 (Degenerated) might be a bit more motivated to get it working for Gothic 1 - as it comes packaged with his latest snapshot.

Here's Degenerated's GitHub page if you want download the latest preview builds: https://github.com/degenerated1123/GD3D11/tree/master/PreviewBuilds

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom