Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 DX11 patch

Ivan

Arcane
fav part of dlc area: orc battle. 4 pairs sprinkled w/ shamans. i love the feeling of accruing powerful spell scrolls and finding some use when the game presents you w/ obstacles.

exploring the Colony feels so different since now I feel fully capable of exploring all of it from the get go. Diego got a new VA sucks.

nomask7

Arcane
fav part of dlc area: orc battle. 4 pairs sprinkled w/ shamans. i love the feeling of accruing powerful spell scrolls and finding some use when the game presents you w/ obstacles.

exploring the Colony feels so different since now I feel fully capable of exploring all of it from the get go. Diego got a new VA sucks.

You'll return to the colony in chapter 4, so no need to go full retard with exploration just yet.

Also, if anybody is considering playing this game for the first time, I'd recommend doing Chapter 2 before the expansion areas...

Ivan

Arcane
will do. gonna playt hrough Rise 1 first though. holy shit this JUMP animation LOL

also, is what I hard about Arx correct. ONLY play as a mage since melee toons get fucked hard?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
my game looks gorgeous and I didn't use the DX11 mod.

I used these three:
- gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev2.exe (http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_278.htm)
- gothic2_playerkit-2.6f.exe (http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_168.htm)
- g2notr-systempack-1.1.exe (http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU))
I was just looking for some oldschool game to replay and was thinking of replaying Arx but this pushed me over the edge, have not played Gothic in close to a decade and these mods make it look beautiful thanks for the heads up

nomask7

Arcane
how come? I did so BEFORE chapter 2. still felt OP.

Chapter 2 isn't huge. Playing it first will ruin Jharkendar less than doing the whole expansion area will ruin chapter 2.

As for being overpowered anyway, it depends on your playstyle. If you roleplay rather than explore tons, you'll probably not be overpowered, unless you do Jharkendar first, then you'll be overpowered for chapter 2. Trust me, I'm usually underpowered for everything. :lol:

Ivan

Arcane
just finished. the most ambitious ARPG I've ever played. exploring is so well done, the controls eventually click, combat is fun, itemization is still great, though the game becomes too easy after Chapter 1 imho. Battling the orcs to get to the old mine proper was a highlight, as was mowing them down once I felt more powerful.
:5/5:

on to Risen 1!

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
just finished. the most ambitious ARPG I've ever played. exploring is so well done, the controls eventually click, combat is fun, itemization is still great, though the game becomes too easy after Chapter 1 imho. Battling the orcs to get to the old mine proper was a highlight, as was mowing them down once I felt more powerful.
:5/5:

on to Risen 1!

Cherish this moment, for no other game can give you a feel similar to G1/G2 :salute:

Ivan

Arcane
HEY YOU!

also, I was shocked to see that the only ladder I encountered was tucked away in the swamp in the expansion area. BEGONE FOUL LADDERS

A600

Educated
So, what happened with Gothic 3 and the Risen games? Some of the master minds behind G1/G2 left Piranha?

I'm finishing chapter 4 of G1 and still loving it :incline:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, what happened with Gothic 3 and the Risen games? Some of the master minds behind G1/G2 left Piranha?

I'm finishing chapter 4 of G1 and still loving it :incline:
You will never play it for the first time ever again.

Ivan

Arcane
Playing thru Risen 1. feels good, you can't just wander around willy-nilly (prob my favorite thing about Gothic), enemies seem to have "levels" though which I dislike (unless they actually have descriptors I may have missed, e.g. rabid, enraged, wild, hungry), combat got downgraded.

A600

Educated
From mobygames:

Gothic was developed without an option for mouse control -- everything was keyboard-only. When editors of gaming mags were shown an early build, they complained about the cumbersome handling and sluggish controls. So the developer, Piranha Bytes, put in mouse control -- in the last month before going gold

Stupid magazine editors. G1 must be played with keyboard and I'll play G2 with the G1 controls option enabled. I play it with cursors + X (action) + C (jump) + Z (inventory) + V (logbook) + Space (draw weapon)

Mouse panning works just fine in either Gothic. Really, the controls are all fine, I don't know where all the whining about them comes from.

Ivan

Arcane
I meant that that's why I preferred playing w the mouse. And I agree, the controls feel great ONCE you acclimate to them (a solid hour or two). I think the biggest obstacle for new players would be fighting 2+ enemies. learning how to backpedal w/backstep.

Risen: progression feels worse, I don't feel like every point I spend in any particular skill feels as meaningful as it did in Gothic. itemization is my biggest disappointment here. boring loot and not enough unique armor or weapons. it feels like they didn't have the necessary time to completely craft the world they wanted to. exploration and questing still remain strong points. at least until chapter 3, where you're dungeoncrawling against Lizardmen, again.

1B73DB767031C77DE0CE4FD0604AC2BA75571334

F6ED7CC7D792902AC10CF5CE371F110F6824707C

ED19D90CA4139755ED2CEE534510C09793951A11

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
It definitely has the Gothic DNA and a lot of the elements that made Gothic great are still here: a merc camp, a bustling town, and little pockets of ruins peppered throughout the wilderness. Exploring is still the main highlight of the game, here, however, the combat lacks the charm of the original series and follows a boring rhythm based combat system. Enemies will almost always block some of your attacks, which adds to the tedium since if you're beefing up a combat skill in particular it doesn't feel like your're a master swordsman at all. The game follows tradition and has a pretty grindy final act where you face TONS of enemies in armor, thankfully here it's easy to run past most enemies. All in all a solid title that doesn't retain all of what made Gothic great but has enough to warrant a playthrough, though I won't blame you for jumping ship before the final boss.

Positive note: I do like how they add traversal tools, e.g. telekinesis, transformation, it enhances the exploration and is something I want to see in Elex! Hopefully they nail the feel of the skill AND item progression.

Something that bothered me was that no matter how badass your armor is, every enemy will make you stagger if they connect w a hit, even a fucking pig, dog or squirrel. I remember getting good armor in Gothic and smiling as I saw the wolves and scavengers graze me.

Some final screens:
using the env to defeat an enemy, not bad
B422A94AB0E31A7623E3B0BBE746DC6A260CFAAE

using tk to solve puzzles is great, sadly it only happens like 2 or 3 times in the game.
A918E7BDF4970DA0070F32ED173A9E6F7AEE0E2B

ECA2BE892A9959B7F4604C76F2D3A9560A1F3F8C

badass pic, very Gothic. will be avoiding Risen 2, 3, and Gothic 3. Moving on to Arx Liberatis!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, you could check Gothic 3 with the community patches.

Sure, its a huge grindhouse, but the scope of the world is quite impressive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom