Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 DX11 patch

Ivan

Arcane
taking out Trolls in Act 1. shadowbeasts are no longer insurmountable. i love this

question: how exactly did Piranha Bytes drop the ball w/ Gothic 3? everything seems so good here

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
question: how exactly did Piranha Bytes drop the ball w/ Gothic 3? everything seems so good here

It has big gameworld: there is 3 main faction quest lines; 3 geographical zones, lots of hidden caves, old friends in the new emploi. It is good.

p.s. Dont expect Gothic 2.5 - it is different game, more sandbox, freeroam.

nomask7

Arcane
It has big gameworld: there is 3 main faction quest lines; 3 geographical zones, lots of hidden caves, old friends in the new emploi. It is good.

p.s. Dont expect Gothic 2.5 - it is different game, more sandbox, freeroam.

Yeah, it seems like they just wanted to do something different, a more 'modern' type of open world game, for better or worse.

It's been a while, but probably the area that most resembles something like a Gothic 2 area is the snowy northern region. That's a nicely done place, with great soundtrack and easy to get lost.

Ultimately, I think they just got lucky with Gothic 2. Who knows, they may get lucky again with ELEX.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
how exactly did Piranha Bytes drop the ball w/ Gothic 3?

1-It was probably one of the buggiest releases ever.
2-Not enough interesting characters and quests. Game is filled with shitty MMO quests...
3-Beyond shitty chest looting "system". No more hand placed phat loot in chest, loot is only affected by the number of creates you opened. Killed dragons and opened their chest first in game? Too bad here take some carrots and weed rolls...
4-Changed combat...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gothic 3 is a huge open world combat/exploration game. Very light on story/quests.
Also you conquer numerous occupied towns... which means a lot of battles with 20-30 orcs/humans at a time... as well as orc camps in the north... with 20-30 orcs.
If you use the community patch, they will actually try to attack together rather then patiently wait in a queue... which means you will be running away A LOT to catch a breath and get some distance.

Also the devs really screwed up one potentially great game aspect: weapon reach. Long weapons (scythe - be sure to get it from the first village, spears, halberds) are awesome. But the large 2-handed weapon category (swords, axes) somehow have even less distance then the 1-handed swords. And all craftable/artifact weapons are either 1-handed or 2-handed. Which makes the orc halberd god-tier and all "story loot" useless.

Ivan

Arcane
venturng into the island of ancients and it's beautiful. it's like a compact Khorinis. it reminds me of early level Dark Souls (undead burg). also, is it just me, or is it hilariosu how Wargs pose a greater threat than trolls? they hit like trucks. not finding anything too tough on the island/ i guess prioritizing my skills has really paid off.

I wish i could share screens but GOG doesn't allow it. Picked up a cool fire bow by Merc camp.

also, figured out a hilarious of taking out orcs one one: stand COMPLETELY still and swing your weapon left to right. it works ALMOST every time.

nomask7

Arcane
venturng into the island of ancients and it's beautiful. it's like a compact Khorinis. it reminds me of early level Dark Souls (undead burg). also, is it just me, or is it hilariosu how Wargs pose a greater threat than trolls? they hit like trucks. not finding anything too tough on the island/ i guess prioritizing my skills has really paid off.

I wish i could share screens but GOG doesn't allow it. Picked up a cool fire bow by Merc camp.

also, figured out a hilarious of taking out orcs one one: stand COMPLETELY still and swing your weapon left to right. it works ALMOST every time.

Yeah, the infamous weapon swing exploit. Protip: a self-respecting sword man only uses the primary attack button, doing graceful combos or a swift strike now and then.

Ivan

Arcane
question:

im at roud' 90 strength and 83% w/ one handed. the next big weapon I have isn't usable until strength 120. should I be pumping strength as I refuse to do magic/ranged or boost my One Handed to 100%? are there diminishing returns with pumping One Handed past 80% since i think 70 or 80 is technically "master." maybe there's a new proficiency at 90/100? thanks for the advice.

i do feel OP but maybe that's bc ive come to terms with the controls and figured out the 3 or so ways enemies can attack you (rush, vertical slash, bait you)

maybe I should be pumping 2 handers now, but no matter what i still need to get STRNG up. maybe this is where I'll abandon/leave 1 handers.

Doktor Best

Arcane
taking out Trolls in Act 1. shadowbeasts are no longer insurmountable. i love this

Watch both videos and you know everything you need to know. Also watch his other videos about Gothic 1+2, hes a true fan and his insights are definitely worth a watch.

sullynathan

Arcane

2-Not enough interesting characters and quests. Game is filled with shitty MMO quests...
3-Beyond shitty chest looting "system". No more hand placed phat loot in chest, loot is only affected by the number of creates you opened. Killed dragons and opened their chest first in game? Too bad here take some carrots and weed rolls...
4-Changed combat...
Combat in G3 was better than its predecessors if it wasn't so buggy.

Epsilon

Cipher

4-Changed combat...
Combat in G3 was better than its predecessors if it wasn't so buggy.
What? Combat would've been good if it wasn't so bad? What?!

What swampweed are you smoking. They ditched side-stepping, the backward jump, the feckin chained attacks and different attack styles. Instead you had what, an attack and block button?

sullynathan

Arcane
If I remember correctly there was a lot of different attacks in G3. If you were knocked down, you could block on the floor or do an attack while getting up. There were directional attacks too. All the games had pretty poor combat, Gothic 3's had the most potential.

Ivan

Arcane
i thought they got rid of the side stepping in gothic 2? you mean strafing? or is the turn button the side step button when in combat mode?

finished Expansion area. best chunk of the game by far. everything is tight, combat is great, progression isn't there since I came well equipped already and nothing posed a threat. i really hope CH2 ups the difficulty cuz im killing most creatures without much trouble.

weird side question: never played an elder scrolls game (for longer than an hour, Oblivion, shudder) how does Morrowind compare to this? combat, hiking simulator, skill progression, item progression, quest flexibility, etc

also, there's 1 thing i must have missed that i need help with. it's hinted that the pirate leader, Greg, has a secret stash somewhere on a beach on the southside of the map, problem is there isn't any water, less a beach, to be found anywhere near the South of the expansion area. am i missing something?

Mozg

Arcane
Morrowind:

Combat - startlingly worthless on every level
Hike Sim - Cool
Progression - You'll figure out one of the hundreds of ways to break it in the first couple hours. Failing that it self-breaks shortly thereafter.
Quests - Almost all fetch/kill quests you hike for, but there's no compass so it tends to enhance the hike element. Note one of the first cases of transparent Bethesda dishonesty with the relatively robust Fargoth quest in the first town they used for press demos and note that no other quest in the game has anywhere near that amount of complexity.

and you didn't ask but the writing/story design and the main quest is pretty cool.

Ivan

Arcane
combat in morrowind:

is the progression similar to Gothic? spend points on weapon stats? how are the mechanics, dodging, strafing, blocking, crushing dmg vs slashing?

Ivan

Arcane
ok. then, say I want something akin to this once i'm finished.

should I look to Risen 1, Morrowind, Arx Fatalis?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
on a beach on the southside of the map, problem is there isn't any water, less a beach, to be found anywhere near the South of the expansion area. am i missing something?
There's a beach just past the pirate's zone beyond a huge boulder, you seen that?

Ivan

Arcane
ya i missed that! it's even displayed on the map! WHAT A FOOL

just started CH2 proper

DA FEELS :love:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Morrowind:

Combat - startlingly worthless on every level
Hike Sim - Cool
Progression - You'll figure out one of the hundreds of ways to break it in the first couple hours. Failing that it self-breaks shortly thereafter.
Quests - Almost all fetch/kill quests you hike for, but there's no compass so it tends to enhance the hike element. Note one of the first cases of transparent Bethesda dishonesty with the relatively robust Fargoth quest in the first town they used for press demos and note that no other quest in the game has anywhere near that amount of complexity.

and you didn't ask but the writing/story design and the main quest is pretty cool.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
Combat is hopeless. Gothic is miles ahead of even Oblivion and Skyrim in terms of combat and enemy behavior patterns, nevermind the older Morrowind. Actually the combat and graphics were pretty much the only improvements in the later titles... pretty much everything else was a downgrade.

Exploration is great, landscape vistas are awesome and architecture amazing.
Progression... it's a Bethesda game, you know. Though here at least you can feel godlike real fast rather then painfully fight huge bullet sponges like in the more modern titles.
As for quests, I think some guilds were okay also. Dark Brotherhood comes to mind.

Most importantly the entire setting is pretty unique, somewhat alien even. That is not your cliche high fantasy land. The "lore" (pardon) is great.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
ok. then, say I want something akin to this once i'm finished.

should I look to Risen 1, Morrowind, Arx Fatalis?
Risen 1 had pretty good melee combat. The spellcasting was butchered though. You just shoot rays from one of 3 energies. That's it. Oh, I guess there are some scrolls as well. And don't expect the Gothic's epic scope or world. The later chapters were a drag, I believe. I quit playing it somewhere in the middle.

Morrowind was described above. It's a really nice hiking simulator. Also one of the few games where you can explore the 3D environment through levitation.. or enchant your gear to move blazing fast and cover huge distances on your feet. There were many ways to break the game.. some of them pretty awesome...

As for Arx Fatalis, I haven't played it much. Read good things though. It's probably more of a dungeon experience though.

Mozg

Arcane
Risen 1 is the real Gothic 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom