Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 advice pointers

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
OP, did you play Gothic 1 before 2?

I try to go through the Codex all time list and have arrived at Gothic 2 (again).

Forthcoming holiday soon suggests I can give it a good try then.

Playing on Steam and can see DX11 fan patch, Essential Mods, Gothic 1/2 system pack etc

Would appreciate any advice about the game as I want to give it a serious go. Last time I tried I gave up very easily due to glitches at the very beginning. Then I could not get it to run properly. But delete/ re-install seems to have shaken it to life.

Any tips, do and don'ts, memories shared would be hugely appreciated.

Start by playing the game in its original form and if you like it treat NOTR has new game plus. It was design for people who already finished the game so there might be things that annoy you by the end if you hadn't already played it. Also play the first one if you didn't. Especially with NOTR since almost everyone from the first game makes an appearance.
are there even copies of Gothic 2 online without NOTR already installed?

Not that I know of. My CD still has both options in the installer but there are workarounds online to get it working.

Sjukob

Arcane
Would appreciate any advice about the game as I want to give it a serious go
The game just yells at you : " ABUSE THE SHIT OUT OF ME ! " and you should listen to it . I might be exaggerating about abusing , but there are a lot of things that can simplify your life . I won't give you advices on what to do though or else , it will be unfun to use those things , find them yourself .

Gothic I has even more possibilities to abuse it .

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Thanks for the comments.

It is Gothic 2 Gold - with the raven expansion.

I was reading the review/comments about it in the top 70 all-time list and Aeschylus hinted it was better than Morrowind. I need to see that for myself.

I think I felt Morrowind was special after the Silt Striders and a visit to Balmora. Didn’t take long.

Cadmus

Arcane
Thanks for the comments.

It is Gothic 2 Gold - with the raven expansion.

I was reading the review/comments about it in the top 70 all-time list and Aeschylus hinted it was better than Morrowind. I need to see that for myself.

I think I felt Morrowind was special after the Silt Striders and a visit to Balmora. Didn’t take long.
Gothic 2 is something different imo. In Morrowind it's like you're on a vacation. In Gothic you don't want to be there but there's no way out.

Quatlo

Arcane
Get some oldschool techno music for infinite "left-right" stunlock combos

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Don't eat the herbs called dragon root, goblin berries, or king's sorrel. You should collect them, in order to brew powerful potions later in the game.

Train basic utility skills like sneaking, lockpicking, and skinning animals, early on.

Get the community patch, but don't bother with other mods.

Start the expansion pack in chapter 2 for a good mix of challenge and new good gear

Never procreate.

Last edited:

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Start the expansion pack in chapter 2 for a good mix of challenge and new good gear

When did you start it?

When you wrote "start the expansion pack in chapter 2", I interpreted it as "start playing 'Gothic 2: NotR' in chapter 2", i.e. "the game is so hard in the beginning that you should download a save from the start of chapter 2 and begin playing there." Because the expansion is a complete overhaul of the game, not just a new area.

... but yeah you probably meant "go to Jharkendar in chapter 2", which is fine. :shittydog:

sullynathan

Arcane
That's what I meant. My first playthrough, i started in chapter 3 and it was too easy.
All this talk makes me want to play gothic 3 again.

Kahr

Learn pickpocketing! You'll get pretty much exp (i wonder why) if you rob everyone and also some quests are easier.
Take permanent potions at the end cause increasing attributes gets more expensive the more you increase them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You strike me as the type who would like the abortion that is Gothic 3.

sullynathan

Arcane
Well I stopped playing it due to fatigue, it's too big for it's own good with too many fetch quests. I play every rpg at least twice.

Last edited:

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Once you get some decent early game equipment, attack everybody by the harbor for easy experience and loot. Also dexterity is shit.

Murk

Arcane
Lies, dexterity is the easiest way to win the game -- archery is op once you get a decent bow (i.e, visit sekob's wife who inexplicably sells some high tier shit early on.)

The dragon fights were a joke as a pew pew laser jesus archer

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i will give you advice

do not play gothic 3 or gothic 3 forsaken gods

those games are forsaken :)

i could never get gothic 1 or 2 to work :)

Doktor Best

Arcane
Lies, dexterity is the easiest way to win the game -- archery is op once you get a decent bow (i.e, visit sekob's wife who inexplicably sells some high tier shit early on.)

Maybe, but its simply not fun. Like in Dark Souls, melee is simply the most fun way to play the game.

aleph

Arcane

Dragon fights are a joke regardless of your character build if you know what you are doing*.
*buy and use magic scrolls (firestorm, golem, demon). Runes if you are a mage.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Maybe, but its simply not fun. Like in Dark Souls, melee is simply the most fun way to play the game.

That part is true, tho dex can lead to good melee as well (some of the best 1 handed swords are dex based, and the best 1 handed sword can be either str/dex.)

Personally, I always like to get a little dex (until the first LP increase) early on, that way I can use the rapier or master sword with some dex pots/tablets/berries and also you'll have a lower chance of breaking lock picks.

aleph true, fire rain I like to keep for some early orc murdering xp (tho there's probably plenty to go around)

especially when you first get to valley. haste potion + fire rain = 5 levels or so, and you can do it like twice. you lose the the items on the corpses cuz of how many the game can handle, but who cares.

Last edited:

Lord Romulus

Arcane

Dexterity sucks when there's only like 5 melee dexterity weapons. The water mage's staff is pretty good weapon you can obtain early on with high damage relative to its strength requirements.

Also another piece of advice, I remembering finding a cheap way of getting easy, infinite money early on that I haven't read about anywhere. First, apprentice for the blacksmith, you can make some pretty good swords and sell them back to the blacksmith for a good price, put as much lp into smithing as possible. The main problem with this is there's a very limited amount of steel that they'll sell you and only a handful of locations it can be found. The trick is that there's another blacksmith by the harbor that will always carry a few piece of steel on him since his idle animations involve him smithing. Since he's in the harbor, you won't be penalized and he won't even get mad at you if you attack him, just keep knocking him out and looting his unconscious body, he's also one of the very few NPCs in the game that's unarmed so you can easily beat him the minute you arrive in town.

Murk

Arcane
I disagree about the weapons, mainly because the dex ones are some of the best. With the exception of the rapier (which is actually a saber) they all have good range, give a melee skill boost ('sept betty), and do good damage for how little dex you need to use them (as opposed to str weapons which often ened a 1:1 ratio of str.)

With the exception of weapon range, they all nearly function the same way (not counting damage and skill differences) so the fact that there's only 5 dex weapons instead of 40 str weapons is really just a question of which weapon model you like.

The ship axe and the cutlass are pretty much the same thing... other than one looks like an axe and the other a cutlass... but they function the same way, and so there's no real difference between the two other than visual model. Which, I can get, but like I said -- dropping a few points into dex (like 30) is easily enough to be able to use the master sword without any further investment -- using only consumables -- and gives you a HUUUUGE advantage against say... actually getting up to 90 str to use a str weapon that does 120+ damage (never mind the 10% skill boost.)

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Both ranged and magic eventually become OP in G2. They're fun, but not as fun as melee which is harder and requires some skill, and that's more rewarding. IIRC I had the best time as a Paladin with a 2-handed sword. Being able to use a bit of magic spiced up things a bit. Trying to kill OP opponents early on with melee is very entertaining.

Murk

Arcane
One thing I did notice between 1h and 2h weapons is that 2h weapons have a slight delay in your recovery when you backstep (which is mandatory when fighting beasts/monsters). 1h weapons have a faster recovery, and so if you are in a 'dodge hit' tug of war, they may be easier to use (especially early on when the damage difference is minor.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom