Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 1 patch/mods (GOG version) on win7 x64

Bros, it has been almost a decade since I played the original Gothic (never played 2 and 3). While looking for adventure titles at gog. I noticed Sale on Gothic 2 Gold/3/Forsaken Gods. Bought all of them.

It is running on my win7 x64. But the movies/intro are not being displayed. changed the installdir\system\gothic.ini (no virtualstore since i didn't install in programfiles (x86) ) for scaleVideos=0
Now the pirahanabytes logo is playing. but intro movies are still not playing.

Anyfixes for this? Any widescreen mods?

Also, which of these mods (one are more) should be installed for a smoother/less buggy/prettier game-play. (not fan made content, though restored content is cool). other mod suggestions 9or combinations for them) are welcome.

form World of Gothic:
Golden Mod v2.92 (English)
Gothic I: Ironkeep Community Patch v0.9.2 (Release Candidate 2)
Gothic Unofficial Patch v1.0
Textures Patch

from moddb:
Gothic Reloaded mod (not yet released :oops: )

Will any of these mods solve the issue?

Edit: AMD Card

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I had that trouble with G2 when I switched to Win7 x64 but I'm not sure how I fixed it. I think I did the scalevideo thing and it worked but I am not sure.

However I don't recommend installing the unofficial patches. One reason is that they likely won't fix your trouble with the videos and the other is that there has been problems with them while the games are playable vanilla. I remember of an instance in G2 where a quest trigger was broken until I removed the unofficial patch. So unless any potential troubles have been ironed out and other people can confirm with certitude that they'll improve your game, stay away from them.

I had that trouble with G2 when I switched to Win7 x64 but I'm not sure how I fixed it. I think I did the scalevideo thing and it worked but I am not sure.

However I don't recommend installing the unofficial patches. One reason is that they likely won't fix your trouble with the videos and the other is that there has been problems with them while the games are playable vanilla. I remember of an instance in G2 where a quest trigger was broken until I removed the unofficial patch. So unless any potential troubles have been ironed out and other people can confirm with certitude that they'll improve your game, stay away from them.

Yeah ScaleVideos=0 is working perfectly for Gothic 2 (both logos, and intro/cutscenes). but for Gothic 1 only the stupid pirahana bytes logo is viewable. Intro/Cutscenes are sadly blank.

Hmm so i will play vanilla I guess.

If I manage to get the videos working that is.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
What format do the video use? You could try to watched them in another player. I think they use Bink, so you could use the Bink player to watch them outside. Not idea but it works.

Aurelius

Educated
You should install the fps fix if you want smoother gameplay:
Gothic 1 was designed to lock the frame rate for some reason; the patch simply removes the cap. It's a shame GOG didn't integrate this fix themselves.

For future reference for anyone else wanting to fix this all you need to do is install the Player Kit and then apply the GothicFps patch by running it and pointing it to GothicMod.exe (found in the System subfolder of wherever you installed Gothic to). If you are using Vista or Windows 7 you will need to launch GothicFps as an administrator by right-clicking it and choosing "Run as administrator".
Taken from here. You'll need to start the game via the GothicMod.exe as well.

What format do the video use? You could try to watched them in another player. I think they use Bink, so you could use the Bink player to watch them outside. Not idea but it works.

You should install the fps fix if you want smoother gameplay:

Taken from here. You'll need to start the game via the GothicMod.exe as well.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gothic

Another place with some info, dunno if it helps

Video shows in player. a lot less stuttering after the fps fix. Force Disabled AA,AF,Tesselation all the fancy crap from video drivers. Its working ingame now.

:bro:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The FPS fix is the only mod I'd recommend. The rest are hit and miss and usually introduce more bugs than they fix.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just for reference, launched this not long ago on Windows 7 64bit and had videos from the get-go, so it's not a universal Win7 issue.

You can change resolution to whatever you need in one of the ini files.

The FPS fix is the only mod I'd recommend. The rest are hit and miss and usually introduce more bugs than they fix.

Using a simple texture mod (upto 4x the original resolution of textures). Copy pasting that ini back is irritating though as the game apparently resets it to640x480x16.

Just for reference, launched this not long ago on Windows 7 64bit and had videos from the get-go, so it's not a universal Win7 issue.

yeah issue with my retarded grafix drivers.

I shouldn't have sold my 4 year old winxp laptop. With my current keyb/mouse/monitor, a lot less hassle to replay these classics. But needed $$$ for D:OS / T:ToN KSers...

Nim

Augur
Yeah, there are some issues with doing it manually in the ini, iirc there was some widescreen mod with more resolutions for ingame choosing somewhere. If you don't find it on your own I can look for it later.

Nim

Augur
Could you try this ? Open GothicGame.ini" with your preferred editor and change the "force_parameters=" line like this
Code:
force_parameters= -zRes:1680,1050,32
Just substitute whatever resolution you want. This is supposed to not get overwritten whenever you start the game.

Yeah, there are some issues with doing it manually in the ini, iirc there was some widescreen mod with more resolutions for ingame choosing somewhere. If you don't find it on your own I can look for it later.
Tried that. Crashes my installation for some reason. tried making it read-only, again crash. Found a cheap workaround. Keeping the .ini open in Notepad++ after having the WS resolution saved. Run the game, when i exit the game Notepad++ asks whether to reload modified version form drive. i just click No. it auto saves the the WS fixed resolution. Notepad++ is :incline:

Could you try this ? Open GothicGame.ini" with your preferred editor and change the "force_parameters=" line like this
Code:
force_parameters= -zRes:1680,1050,32
Just substitute whatever resolution you want. This is supposed to not get overwritten whenever you start the game.

Hmm, will try it, but TBH, not an issue if it doesn't work as the Notepad++ thing reduces it to just one pop-pup where I have to click No. And my particular hardware/software setup is glitching a lot with many so-called "safe" experimentation(s).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom