Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gorky 17

Suchy

Arcane
Has anyone played it?
I kinda missed this game back when it was released - it's supposed to be Fallout ripoff made in Poland... Some people are praising it for the atmosphere.
Is it worth looking for?

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I own this game. with fallout fresh in mind, I played it for an half an hour just to uninstall it direct after. I didn't really like it but then again maybe I was expecting to much of it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's not a Fallout rip-off. It's a linear action game, but the action is turn-based. If you love everything TB, you'll enjoy it. If you prefer quality TB entertainment involving guns, I'd recommend Jagged Alliance, XCOM, and Silent Storm.

Amasius

Augur
What VD said. It's a short, linear game but atmosphere and turnbased combat are pretty good.

Suchy

Arcane
Thanks for the info, I guess I'll pass then. I felt like playing something more story/dialogue oriented. I'll look for The Fall instead, it was released in Poland.

Suchy said:
Is it worth looking for?
I obtained Gorky 17 on a collection of z-grad RPGs (none of which were actual RPGs). It’s something of a rhinestone in the rough and a real curiosity; a survival-horror adventure game with tactical turn-based combat and superficial RPG elements. If you really like TB combat and Aliens rip-offs (including a corporal Hudson style character) then it's worth playing.

There are two modes of gameplay: movement mode and combat mode. Most of the game is spent in combat mode which takes place on small square-based grid. Combat is initially simplistic and dull but as the squad gains access to equipment new tactical possibilities open up. There are various artificial restraints placed on weaponry that limits their field of fire and this, combined with the limited size of the battle map, turns combat mode into something of a puzzle game. I found myself forced to think several turns ahead in the more challenging combats. Despite this too many of the battles felt like filler.

Movement mode is reminiscent of the Infinity Engine games in that the environments are high quality pre-rendered artwork, but the maps are quite small and linear. The gameplay is based on getting from point A to point B with very straightforward adventure game style puzzles in between. Enemies aren't visible on the map and encounters are simply tied to fixed points so the player will frequently find himself thrown into combat without prior warning.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was sold for TB combat, atmosphere and ... well the game is like good rpg dungeon. It involves feeling that something terrible gonna happen just now. It's interesting to explore. Also, Jasede would like monsters.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Russia decides to bomb Poland... er, I mean one of its glorious soviet era secret cities built in Poland and the Western world doesn't take it lightly. NATO sends the whole army of four soldiers into the city and loses contact with them. Then they send another three - a Canadian, a Pole and a French. Sounds like a good mix for a shitty joke.

Instead, as player finds out, it is a beginning of a sinister story set in a devastated city which has been abandoned by human beings... but strange creatures lurk in the shadows and player faces them constantly in turn based combat. With exception of the end game and some silly boss fights, the game offers a challenge and you will often count every bullet as they are hard to come by. The graphic and art design are amazing when it comes to surroundings, the creatures, however, are of mixed quality. During the gameplay there is a very atmospheric music which fits the mood perfectly, although one could wish for more tracks.

Overall, the game is great if you enjoy gloomy settings and even more so if you are a fan of tactical games.

Snufkin

Augur
Thanks for the info, I guess I'll pass then. I felt like playing something more story/dialogue oriented. I'll look for The Fall instead, it was released in Poland.

Nah, The Fall is shit. Gorky 17 is much better trust me. Gameplay feels similar to Pool of radiance 2 but this game is much better then PoR2. But i would say its slightly worse then Lionheart or Siege of Avalon if we are talking about games that noone talks. Also you will have to stomach 640x480 res.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Hey people, you know you're answering to a 7yo question thread that Konjad necroed, cuz he's a genious like that.

:Flash:

Arcane
Anyone have a boxed version of this or maybe a picture of one? Preferably in English...
This is actually the only game of which I have two boxed copies (one still in original shrinkwrap), because I got the second in a two-for-one deal. But it's the German release.
Mobygames does have all the boxshots, including the U.S. one (Odium).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom