Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Goodbye Bioware

FUDU

Arcane
What I wish, is that EA would leave Bioware the fuck alone. If they just let them make the games they're good at, they would be doing much better.

DAO was the kind of game Bio likes to make, and it was a pretty solid release. Developed mostly before EA bought them. It sold around 5 million, didn't it? Think about what DA2 might have been like, if EA wasn't going after the shooter crowd. Bio could have improved the things people didn't like in DAO, and could have "potentially" had a better game than Origins. Probably would have sold just as good, or better, than DAO. Probably at least another 5 million copy's. Hell, I might have even bought that one.

Ah well, EA are blood sucking, malevolent morons, and Bioware is fucked.

I think I hear the Fat Lady warming up. Time will tell.

Commander Xbox

Learned
As kz3r0 posted in the mass effect sales thread, dragon age origins sold 3.2 million copies, mass effect 2 sold 3.4 once it was opened to the multiplatform. mass effect 1 on 360 sold 2.5 million, mass effect 2 on 360 sold 2.7. its very obvious bioware has a hardcore dedicated niche market of biodrones going for them and thats it, they do not appeal to the mainstream no matter how hard EA pushes its xxxxtreme marketing. its also very obvious that ever since EA bought bioware they want them to be big big sellers, at least 5-7 million like gears of war or something similar, bioware is currently not meeting that expectation and if me3 doesnt sell more than 3 - 4 million you can definitely expect some consequences. EA has invested huge marketing pushes in these current games and even though theyre still profitable, they will regard them as failures. dont expect bioware to go extinct, i think EA will keep the brand as it has a lot of good will attached to it, but expect some major ''restructuring''

Stakhanov

Augur
Since the EA strategy at the moment is "open new studio, call it Bioware" it would take significantly declining sales figures and critical/fan backlash to make them consider cutting Bioware loose. If it was going to happen, I think we'd see the writing on the wall, especially since routine firings after games have been completed is somehow considered newsworthy amongst gaming journlolists (remember the odd sensationalism about Obsidian firing people after New Vegas?).

Kitako

Arcane
What if Bioware made games with superlative tactical turn-based gameplay (think ToEE, KoTC) and lots of meaningful C&C, but stocked it full of the worst crap possible from their brilliant writer team (hamfisted gay romances, EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENT) and piled on the power of a multi-million dollar marketing campaign?
You press a button, and something awesome happens in your next turn?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
ME3 is for Glee fans who, via new femshep, now get to play as Kurt.

ngwQU.jpg

Stinger

Arcane
oh goodie Volourn continues to use the shipped amount as opposed the sold number.

Roofles.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
890K sold in less than 3 days in NA only. Morans.

circ

Arcane
Srsly, I doubt the game is that bad, the 2.4 user metacritic score is probably a 4chan raid.

Yeah, but if you just give bad games a 3 or 4 rating, it's not as effective as combating the people that think the 0-10 rating scale starts at 7 (for example, the vast majority of video game reviewers[game is shit, 7/10]).

Fucking this. If the game gets a ridiculously low user score, people will just assume it was a raid or something and not take it seriously. However, if that score is instead around a mid-seven, it'll appear to be much more legitimate, and potential buyers may think twice before buying and it might actually hurt sales.
Don't be ridiculous. If I do look up scores I start with the bottom rung of 0's and see if there's anything meaningful there. Shit deserves nothing less.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That doesn't hurt me. I don't expect BIO games t sell that much. They ain't mainstream enough.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not for lack of trying.

:lol:

Personally, I think DA 3 and TOR will set the tone for BioWare in the future. Mass Effect 3 is a pretty big success. I'm sure they aren't happy that Skyrim and even New Vegas sold more units, quicker; despite trying to match the former in advertising budget and the latter barely having an advertising budget in comparison but you win some you lose some.

Mass Effect 3 will keep BioWare going, but if TOR tanks within the next year or two and Dragon Age 3 tanks like 2 did (it got half the sales of Origins and fucked up BioWare's reputation in the mainstream gaming community), then they'd be up shit creek without a paddle since all they've got then is what, a Mass Effect MMO? A new IP coming off two poorly received games?

So yeah, it'll depend on what happens with TOR and Dragon Age 3.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Threads about Mass Effect 3 should be in general gaming, its a third person shooter.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"it got half the sales of Origins and fucked up BioWare's reputation in the mainstream gaming community"

It also likely cost quarter of what DA1 did and did not fuck up BIO's rep in the mainstream gaming community as evidenced by both TOR and ME3 sales.

Why do people post bullshit without actual facts?

P.S. Metacritic is not mainstream gaming community, sorry. Neither is the Codex, Obsidian, or even BIO forums.

The mainstream talks with their wallets not on the internet.

P.S.S. TOR's success or failure will not efect BIO EDM at all. Worst case scenario is no more BIO Texas.

P.S.S. ME3 is ana ction rpg just like JE, G, and BL. It belongs in the RPG section. Period.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
P.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S. Volourn is a troll just like A, B, and D. He belongs in the Retardo section. Period. :rpgcodex:

Turjan

Arcane
P.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S. Volourn is a troll just like A, B, and D. He belongs in the Retardo section. Period. :rpgcodex:

Not sure whether that was the right post to give that answer to. In principle, he is right. If you correct the sales numbers for the development times, DA2 might have easily been a more profitable game than Skyrim.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Not sure whether that was the right post to give that answer to. In principle, he is right. If you correct the sales numbers for the development times, DA2 might have easily been a more profitable game than Skyrim.

And what if you correct that for the marketing budget, which was quite possibly larger than the development one?

Turjan

Arcane

And what if you correct that for the marketing budget, which was quite possibly larger than the development one?
Who knows? There are also other factors, like size of development team. Still, it remains that it's not the worst strategy for a publisher to only hand out money for one or two years and then get a moderate hit than having to wait 5 years for a return to a much larger investment.

Anyway, I don't make the claim that DA2 was more profitable per time frame than Skyrim, as I don't have the numbers. I just pointed out that Volourn is right with his argument that seeing DA2 as an unmitigated financial failure simply forgets a few important aspects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom