Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Goodbye Bioware

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
To be honest, to me CC was always about Joe Kucan .

:obviously:
:bro:

Not much of a prediction. EA always burn down the studios they buy. First they suck out all the life out of the ip, then they toss away the empty shell. It's been standard policy for the past twenty years. What amazes me is not them doing it but people still thinking they won't and devs still happily selling out to join them.
Well, if they pay well, why not? One can always start another studio.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I know people have been predicting the demise of Bio for a long time

And they will continue to predict their demise.

Never gonna happen. Bio's still around in 10 years and longer. You know I'm right.
This is true, but during the course of these 10 years, we've never seen Bioware deliver nearly as much shit as they have done in a one year time span.

skyst

Augur
Bioware is still the same, old Bioware. The games are the same other than being on today's technology and having more graphics, less text. The only thing that made their earlier games seem deep (they weren't) was the somewhat faithful and constantly devolving D&D ruleset.

ME3 is alright for what it is. I enjoy it as an action game. Playing as a Vanguard on Insanity has an enjoyable way of making my butt clench every time I charge into impossible odds (this may be Gaider's doing...). Roleplaying is entirely absent, all dialogue is broken down to 'nice guy' 'asshole' 'moar lore!' responses, but really, how is this any different than a Baldur's Gate? 0 inventory management, loot and buy whatever possible and store it on your ship. Allies are mostly the redundant and useful only for passive bonuses and an odd crowd control ability. Story is jam packed with series ending retcons and a massive deus ex machina, though expected by most, many are still quite disappointed in it. Multiplayer is a lot of fun if you like the gameplay a lot.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I say once/if crowd funding becomes successful Bioware may take the plunge. That's only "if", I personally don't want crowd funding to be the new industry norm, becaue money grubbers will find ways to exploit it. Keep it niche and real so we can play good games and not worry about shitty AAA games.
Do you really, really think the Doctors are interested in giving up their huge expensive studios, pressed tuxes and money cigars so they can be starving artists and make their "dream games"? They were always pretty much businessmen right from the start.

Turjan

Arcane
I may not like stuff like Origin, day 1 DLC or (more or less) forced MP and thus won't buy the game, but I don't think that the mainstream fans are in any way deterred by those aspects. I don't see Bioware going anywhere any time soon.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
L0L people still claiming DA2 was a financial failure. that's hilairous. probably the same people who claim that AP or DS3 was a success. LMAO

DA2 sold MILLIONS. Don't make shit up. Thanks.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
L0L people still claiming DA2 was a financial failure. that's hilairous. probably the same people who claim that AP or DS3 was a success. LMAO

DA2 sold MILLIONS. Don't make shit up. Thanks.
Source.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yeah, DA2 sold millions but EA and Bioware are too shy to make any official announcement as they did for DA:O.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
DA2 hjas sold 2mil+ in the first month. They made the announcement went it happened. Are you guys stupid?

It also cost a lot less than DA1 did so it didn't need to sell as much to be as profitable.

One thing to hate but do not lie.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Link or didn't happen, and two millions are still peanuts compared to the rest.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
www.rpgcodex.com

That site has tons of links and articles mentioning the FACT that DA2 sold 2mil+ copies in the first month. R00fles!

There's yer fukkin' link!

FUDU

Arcane
The Bioware brand name will probably be around for several more years, but it will be Bioware in name only, just like Atari. Hell, it's pretty much that way now.

Also, as I said before, Even if DA2 sold 2 million (it didn't) that's still a total failure for a AAA, multi platform, worldwide release from a "major" studio. DA2 sucked and everybody knows it.

Gord

Arcane
You guys need to get over your Bioware fixation.

TNO

Augur
ME3 will almost certainly turn a profit thanks to aforementioned hype machine. As noted, it might burn some fan goodwill, but I doubt ME3 is as bad as DA2, so it won't burn the entire IP, and they can probably still have enough reserves of goodwill and teenybopper talimancers to turn a profit on hype for the next couple of games even if these things are hopeless. Also, although I like ratting on them, both ME1 and ME2 were reasonable offers, so it isn't like lack the talent for passable blockbuster AAAs (and ME2 had a pretty quick development IIRC).

Further, I'd bet on an ME-universe MMO (maybe MMOTPS?) as the next use of the IP. If they manage not to screw that up (and as no one expects MMOs to have very good plots, their achilles heel is covered) they can get a good tentpole out of that too.

So I don't think they're out yet. If DA3 bombs, another "original" IP bombs, and their ME MMO bombs, then they might get canned.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The real problem is that until now Bioware demonstrated to be a second class developer when comes to sales, the numbers of 5M+ sellers are piling up, something still out of reach for them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny that Volly totally disappeared from the Codex since the site update, but every now and then he pops up to defend his Biowarian masters.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Well so I played through the game and it was shit, big whoop what did you expect.

With the game journalist metacritic scores I doubt it will flop.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do we really want BioWare to be closed? They make bad games, but at least the creepy "WHAT WOULD TALI'S SWEAT TASTE LIKE" stuff is contained to the community of one studio. Imagine them closing and MCA joyfully twittering that he can FINALLY work together with Gaider and Laidlaw.
I would actually love for that to happen. All the Obsidiot tears. And it's not like they haven't had Bioware-style designers there before, like Ferret Baudoin or Tony Evans. Right now they even have a new writer who loves the Twilight series.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Even if DA2 sold 2 million (it didn't) that's still a total failure for a AAA, multi platform, worldwide release from a "major" studio."

It did sell 2mil+ copies and no, it's not a fiailure.

"It's funny that Volly totally disappeared from the Codex since the site update, but every now and then he pops up to defend his Biowarian masters. "

I've been around and have postyed here and there. But, nothing is more amusing on the Codex than the foaming and the bullshit that comes with a BIO release.

I bet youa re enjoying KOTOR OL immensely, BIO whore.

Stabwound

Arcane
I enjoyed ME1 and 2 for what they were, but for some reason wasn't very excited for 3. I was going to at least give it a shot, and I just realized that I somehow must have deleted my ME2 save somewhere along the line, probably the last time I reformatted.

I'm sure the imported aspects are almost meaningless but it's enough for me to forget about the game I didn't even want to play anyway. Boo hoo to me.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I enjoyed ME1 and 2 for what they were, but for some reason wasn't very excited for 3. I was going to at least give it a shot, and I just realized that I somehow must have deleted my ME2 save somewhere along the line, probably the last time I reformatted.

I'm sure the imported aspects are almost meaningless but it's enough for me to forget about the game I didn't even want to play anyway. Boo hoo to me.

Same here, after second part which I enjoyed as ME OPFOR this kind of MAJESTIC plot Save the Earth Multi Culti Cerberus evil racists hurr durr fagotery rulez way done using second hand assets doesn't interests me. And without interesting story it is poorly done cover shooter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom