Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good storyfag JRPGs

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mostly interested in PS3 and Vita titles. And PC, of course.

Need some advice, bros!

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Watching thread because I could only think of Trails in the Sky and Persona 4 as worthy candidates.

Criteria of PS3 and PS Vita I mean. Both of those platforms suck in terms of decent JRPG stories.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Radiant Historia :troll:

If you're looking for good stories, you're probably out of luck. There's Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics that I think are compatible with PSVita.

Lemming42

Arcane
The Final Fantasy series tends to get retroactively shit on, probably in most part thanks to FFVII and FFVIII, but FFVI and FFIX both have pretty good stories for videogames. FF IV has an entertaining story too, but it's basically a cliche-ridden shonen anime in videogame form.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The two favourites of mine I can think of would be Dragon Quarter and Lufia 2. Neither are for PS3/Vita though, to my knowledge.

Lufia 2's story had some serious balls for a videogame of that era.

Dragon Quarter was more about the atmosphere and game mechanics working with the story. But however it did it, it was the last game to ever really draw me in, and it did so long after I began to feel pretty jaded about stories in video games.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
For the PS3, if you have a high tolerance for weeboo faggotry:
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 (there's also 2.5 that includes the sequel and other games but I've never really liked the series past the first one game)
Tales of Graces f
Star Ocean 4

I haven't played them myself yet to really recommend them but I've heard nothing but good things about NIER and Resonance of Fate.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Watching thread because I could only think of Trails in the Sky and Persona 4 as worthy candidates.

Criteria of PS3 and PS Vita I mean. Both of those platforms suck in terms of decent JRPG stories.
I've completed P4 instantly when I bought Vita (I actually bought the console to play it). And palyed a bit of Trails in the Sky on my PC.

The Final Fantasy series tends to get retroactively shit on, probably in most part thanks to FFVII and FFVIII, but FFVI and FFIX both have pretty good stories for videogames. FF IV has an entertaining story too, but it's basically a cliche-ridden shonen anime in videogame form.
I've completed all FFs except III and XII.

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 (there's also 2.5 that includes the sequel and other games but I've never really liked the series past the first one game)
Tales of Graces f
Star Ocean 4

I haven't played them myself yet to really recommend them but I've heard nothing but good things about NIER and Resonance of Fate.
I do not like that Disney faggotry in Kingdom Hearts. But thanks for the tip about the other games.

Siveon

Bot
Tales of Graces f
Star Ocean 4

I do not like that Disney faggotry in Kingdom Hearts. But thanks for the tip about the other games.

I don't know about Tales of Graces F (though I've heard the story is meh even for the Tales series) - but Star Ocean 4 has a pretty meh story. What it really has going for it is the gameplay, same goes for Tales I think.

Nier is great, though it's debatable if it's a JRPG at all.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The story of FFXII is decent. They didn't go with the original vision of Yasumi Matsuno, but it still has great writing. The localization is probably one of the best out there. Voice acting is also top notch.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Tales of Graces f
Star Ocean 4

I don't know about Tales of Graces F (though I've heard the story is meh even for the Tales series) - but Star Ocean 4 has a pretty meh story. What it really has going for it is the gameplay, same goes for Tales I think.

Nier is great, though it's debatable if it's a JRPG at all.

Even if they have a weak story (which, relative to the vast majority of JRPGs, is fairly average) they both still have a shit ton of cutscenes, especially if you count all the character interaction you can get by doing various optional events or meeting certain requirements.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The last generation had a pitiful amount of good JRPGs. Lost Odyssey is probably the best storyfag JRPG last generation(the dreams are excellent), but it's only for 360.

Ni no Kuni?

kain611

Augur
Growlanser IV for the PSP which can be played on your Vita is pretty decent.

Karellen

Arcane
The last generation was not too kind to the story-focused kind of JRPG in my experience. Nier is the only highlight, really, but you should only play that if you enjoy soul-crushing doom and depression, so on the whole if there are any classics from the PS1 era you haven't played yet, it's probably a good idea to start from those. Vagrant Story is the greatest of the bunch - though it's more of an eccentric real-time 3D dungeon crawler that just happens to have an exceedingly well-written story - but Xenogears is also essential, and Grandia and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete are definitely worth playing if you don't mind more light-hearted stuff with most of the focus on party interaction.

In terms of conventional JRPGs with long, epic stories, Tales of the Abyss is probably the last good one I've played, though it's for the PS2. Still, in terms of story quality it's easily the best of the Tales games, with fairly decent characters and a narrative that gets surprisingly dark and deep at times, so it's definitely worth playing if you can get over the anime aesthetic.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Vagrant Story is the greatest of the bunch - though it's more of an eccentric real-time 3D dungeon crawler that just happens to have an exceedingly well-written story - but Xenogears is also essential, and Grandia and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete are definitely worth playing if you don't mind more light-hearted stuff with most of the focus on party interaction.
I played Vagrant Story, didn't dig the combat and quit. Played some Xenogears but had problems with the game on PSP.

Completed Grandia and Lunar: Silver Star Harmoby. They were cool, but too much filler/thrash mobs stuff.

Nier is the only highlight, really, but you should only play that if you enjoy soul-crushing doom and depression.
Of course I enjoy it!

Anything about Drakengard? I've read it has a complex story.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Vagrant Story is the greatest of the bunch - though it's more of an eccentric real-time 3D dungeon crawler that just happens to have an exceedingly well-written story - but Xenogears is also essential, and Grandia and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete are definitely worth playing if you don't mind more light-hearted stuff with most of the focus on party interaction.
I played Vagrant Story, didn't dig the combat and quit. Played some Xenogears but had problems with the game on PSP.

Completed Grandia and Lunar: Silver Star Harmoby. They were cool, but too much filler/thrash mobs stuff.

Nier is the only highlight, really, but you should only play that if you enjoy soul-crushing doom and depression.
Of course I enjoy it!

Anything about Drakengard? I've read it has a complex story.
Drakengard is soul-crushing doom and depression personified(well the first and third one, not the second one). I highly recommend Nier and Drakengard 3. Some of my favorite games on the system because the depressing stories.

Deleted member 7219

Ni No Kuni. Story is simple and slightly childish, but it starts well.

Deleted member 7219

Ni No Kuni. Story is simple and slightly childish, but it starts well.
I started playing it, but didn't like the beginning of the story actually.

Ah. I liked running around in the real world, doing errands and stuff, and see the magic start to creep in. I also liked how Oliver first travelled into the Other World, and the stuff in the forest.

The story is not perfect, but for a JRPG I think it's pretty good. Most of the story is best told through the beautiful artwork, the soundtrack and the atmosphere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom