Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Good Shooters and Why!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Oh, yeah, a few more:

Battlefield
  • In terms of Battlefield, the last I liked were Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, and Battlefield Vietnam.
    • Battlefields 2 and 2142 because performance (3 got too much and I need 60FPS+ for a competitive shooter lol). And I love the 64 player limit.
    • Vietnam because it's so different - so much foliage that mines/bouncing betties/actual enemies could be hidden right in front of your nose. And having to use a spotter for artillery (mortars usually).
  • 1942 was before my time so I dunno. Think I played a Battlefield 2 mod based on 1942 and it was pretty cool because different maps with much different weapons. And carriers

Star Wars Battlefronts

• Battlefront 2: Space combat. Capital warships trying to take each other out. Best is that you can land Assault Transports in the enemy landing bay. And then take out their systems from within with squad(s). There are Bombers, too, and you can chip at and destroy the Capital ship or at least its systems from outside. And of course Fighters and Interceptors.
  • For both:
    • Good class variety
    • Vehicles, including fighters
    • Good single player campaigns
    • Just fun if you like Star Wars

Star Wars Republic Commando

• Fun squad control system. You're a 4 man squad, and you can tell your AI squadmates to take up certain positions (there are sniper points, anti-armor points, grenade-throwing points, turrets that can be manned), whether to just follow you or to stay and secure an area or to just be aggressive and run ahead on their own, or to focus on a specific enemy.
  • Solid game. Above average but not great.
  • No playing a Jedi

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Goodies I haven't seen listed:

Body Count
Rise of the Triad
Nobody Lives Forever
Heretic
Counter Strike
Duke Nukem 3d

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Doom 1-2: Only (?) shooters where you can massacre hundreds of enemies, since the buzzword "polygon count" was not invented yet. Among the few games where you can provoke infighting. Also has possibly the best sounds and enemies in any FPS.

Duke Nukem 3D: just bloody fun, and more tactical than Doom. Relies too much on enemies ambushing you from out of thin air, though.

Unreal: Unparalled atmosphere and fantastic graphics for its time. Weapons and sounds feel a bit puny, though. Best enemy AI of any FPS I've played.

Deus Ex: Excellent background story and writing. Actually has some C&C. Good level design. Can be played stealthily or with guns blazing.

IGI 2: Like Deus Ex it can be played stealthily, but suffers a bit from enemies having too good hearing and too poor eye sight. Some excellent, unlinear levels, and some novel weapons. Most underrated FPS I've played.

Being old these shooters have mostly open levels; you are not forced along a corridor waiting to be ambushed by cutscenes.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Liked that new Shadow Warrior, got a bit repetitive towards end but afore that it were mutts nuts.

That Rogue Trooper from about ten years ago were good, might be biased cos o 2000ad strip that I liked as a wee un, but some nice gunplay and different methods of approach.

Space Marine, shooting were alright but mixed wi scrappin it turned into sublime kickarsery.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Doom 1&2
Hexen 1&2
Strife
System Shock 1&2
Terra Nova: SFC
Blood
Quake 1
SiN
Half-Life 1 & OpFor (2 & episodes are decent enough too I guess...)
Unreal
Unreal Tournament ('99)
Red Faction 1 (haven't played the newest one)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R SoC & CoP
Deus Ex 1 & HR
+M
There's UT, why no Quake3? I would also add Descent since it's a honourary FPS, it would be a good list to recomment to some newfag who wants to get acquainted with classic PC fps games.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Doom 1&2
Hexen 1&2
Strife
System Shock 1&2
Terra Nova: SFC
Blood
Quake 1
SiN
Half-Life 1 & OpFor (2 & episodes are decent enough too I guess...)
Unreal
Unreal Tournament ('99)
Red Faction 1 (haven't played the newest one)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R SoC & CoP
Deus Ex 1 & HR
+M
There's UT, why no Quake3? I would also add Descent since it's a honourary FPS, it would be a good list to recomment to some newfag who wants to get acquainted with classic PC fps games.
I like Q3 less than UT.
:martini:
I guess it could be in too, so could a few others I didn't include.

DraQ

Arcane
Duke Nukem 3D: just bloody fun, and more tactical than Doom. Relies too much on enemies ambushing you from out of thin air, though.
Personally I prefer Blood - harder, more atmospheric, and classier in terms of humor.
Unreal: Unparalled atmosphere and fantastic graphics for its time. Weapons and sounds feel a bit puny, though. Best enemy AI of any FPS I've played.
:salute:

Being old these shooters have mostly open levels; you are not forced along a corridor waiting to be ambushed by cutscenes.
Given that I remember games like Unreal being touted for their open levels completely unlike claustrophobic FPSes of old and praised as heralds of new unprecedentedly open shooters to come - which turned out to be in stark opposition to modern FPS design - I can't help but laugh humorlessly.
:hahano:
:negative:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Not good mechanically but a good third person shooter is the Punisher game from ten years ago or so, better take on character than any of the three films, the torturing's pretty good an all.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Undyingcover.jpg

Great and very atmospheric horror game, interesting puzzles and high difficulty shooting, some cringeworthy platform sequence.
The game starts strong but unfortunately lose pace midway, and the dsign of enemies and areas worsen, mostly because was taking too much time to complete so they hastened the final parts, the usual.
Nonetheless varies from great to good, the worst part is the final boss.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
What? No Serious Sam: Second Encounter? Its like FPS fun incarnate. This is some serious :decline:.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
What? No Serious Sam: Second Encounter? Its like FPS fun incarnate. This is some serious :decline:.
Never seen the appeal of Serious Sam.

You kill a lot of things in very large environments. I enjoy it immensely from a mechanical standpoint and there is actual strategy involved on the higher difficulty levels. The first two that is.

DraQ

Arcane
Never seen the appeal of Serious Sam.

You kill a lot of things in very large environments. I enjoy it immensely from a mechanical standpoint and there is actual strategy involved on the higher difficulty levels. The first two that is.
Well, I have Doom 2 for that. And Build games. And a few others.
Compared with very "metal" early FPSes SS feels stale.

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division - fps where you play either as a giant mech or a simple human. Every switch change the scale of the game so as mech u can just stop on enemy troops but once you're on foot those tiny little soldier bacame a real thread. Do not wanna to spoil thing but I love one particular moment when you meet a certain Mech-enemy a third time... but during this encounter with her your are single a troop. Ooopssss.
Geam is cutscene-heavy and animu-infected but it's only adds a charm coz all these unproportional, blocky NPC models can be imagined as a cartoon characters (unlike Blood 2 on the same engine where they're suppose to be the 'real' people).

SiN - for brutality and excellent gunplay and its variety (chopper levels, stealth quests, missions when you're transorfmed into... hmm) and the slutiest boss ever.

SiN Episodes: Emergence - not as good as original SiN but it's what HL2 would look like if it were a good shooter. Annoying thing is that is trying too hard of being 2D4U bullshit but apart from it's it's worth a time. At least try to complete High Rise map via console command on highest difficulty - loots of fun in killing jetpack dudes and toughs guys who exlodes when you shoot at their ammo backpacks.

Necrovision / The Lost Company - think of Blood, Painkiller, Wolfenstein and Bulletstorn (skillshot system) mixed together into WWI shooter with bajonet meele fights in gasmasks against virus-infected Prussian soldiers in barb-wired trenches, vehicle minigames (Steampunk WWI MECH or aeroplane!) and killing deamons in hell (ok, these levels suck actually). Both games are buggy mess with horrible optimalization ( I had a massive frame drops always when something including fire appeared on screen even if it was a little sparks on PC' hand) but as shooters are fun a fuck. Very underrated stuff.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always found Serious Sam to be rather boring compared to something like Doom because it's always just "go to large area --> enemies swarm you --> go to next large area --> repeat", it's like being in an arena with lots of enemies rather than exploring a complex level that is filled with enemies in every corner.

Tehdagah

Arcane
  • Max Payne 3: Although R* switched the snowy, dark and mysterious noir atmosphere of New York for the sunshine of Brazil, that didn't mean they fucked it up for Max Payne 3. I really believe that R* perfected more than any other game the third person shooters gameplay. It's the best TPS I played in my entire life. The 360º shooting was a brilliant idea, and one that feels so natural and satisfying in this game due to the extremly responsive controls and movements, nice animations, gratifying violence and amazing gunplay. The fact that Max has 2 weapon holsters for the ''secondary weapons'' and has to carry the ''primary weapons'' on his hands (dropping them if uses the secondary guns at the same time) was also clever idea that gave the game another resource managment element. The game has a wide variety of guns at the player's disposal, and even though the differences between are not as deep as in games like Counter-Strike or Battlefield, they are there and well made. The game presents a cover system, but that doesn't mean it will be popamole and it's going to be a cakewalk, if you think that you are far from the truth. See Max Payne 3 also has a enemy AI that this game need to be praised for along with a good degree of environmental destructability. Weaker structures such as wood and others, are easily destoyed, this on levels like the ones set in the favelas makes most of protection temporary. But this is also achieved with the AI. Enemies close him on Max from all angles while offering their mates supressive fire. They also use cover like you, use mêlée attack when close, and the ''smarter'' enemies (mercenaries, Brazilian ''Swat'', with better equipment such as body armor and assualt weapons) use granedes to get you out of cover, or smoke so they can advance without you spotting them and they tend to make Headshots often (which in this game it will insta kill you). Yes that right a well placed bullet can kill in a moment. That's why Bullet Time needs to be well used. Also Shootdodging can't be abused since when in the ground Max is a sitting duck and enemies will fiil every space in is body with a bullet. On higher dificulties there are less painkillers around. This excellent gameplay with the detailed levels creates a ridiculously enjoyable chaos in both the campaign and multiplayer. Max's monologues are as bone dry and full of dark humor as ever. But only fucking popamole, anoying, shitty mechanic that unfortonatly this game has is the ''Last Stand''. Were if you are almost dead and have at least 1 painkillers you automatically enter bullet time and you have to kill your attacker our else you die. The biggest problem is that in the end you are lying on the ground and even sometimes you can't kill the enemy (because you are out of bullets, or he is in a indestrutible cover or simply in a angle that the camera can't show). In Old School difficulty this mechanic is disabled, but so is the cover mechanic.
:salute:

The best game in the trilogy.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I always found Serious Sam to be rather boring compared to something like Doom because it's always just "go to large area --> enemies swarm you --> go to next large area --> repeat", it's like being in an arena with lots of enemies rather than exploring a complex level that is filled with enemies in every corner.

Serious Sam is a bit different because it is more about "herding" the enemy rather than accuracy. You are on the defensive since enemies are hardcoded to know exactly where you are at all times so the question is more about position and using the right weapon at the right time. Of course it is only super fun on the higher difficulty levels. Also there are some Doom Levels too. FE has like 3 and SE has like 4 I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom