Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good RPGs without saving the world

The obvious one people always reference is PLanescape Torment, what else is there?

And world=galaxy/universe/whatever.

V_K

Arcane
Off the top of my head:
Geneforge series (it's all about politics rather than world-wide threats)
Daggerfall (largely same shit)
Legend of Grimrock 2 (you're only saving your sorry asses)

Emily

Arcane
Underrail
Gothic 1 (sorta)
AOD (seriouslly this game is a masterpiece play it)
Temple of elemental evil (sorta)
Vampire bloodlines (best game ever in my opinion)
Realms of Arkania 1 and 2 (old game)
Mount and blade warband

I should have included, AOD, that's what I'm going for in this. I figured Underrail will eventually be "save the sewers", but curious to see how it ends up.

Mustawd

Expeditions: Conquistador

Also, can anyone comment on the Shadowrun games? I haven't played them, but I''d be surprised if you're saving the world in them.

EDIT: NEO Scavenger

Last edited by a moderator:

V_K

Arcane
Also, can anyone comment on the Shadowrun games? I haven't played them, but I''d be surprised if you're saving the world in them.
Well, you start with different objectives, but in the first two you eventually end up saving the world, and in HK the scale is diminidhed to a city district that you still end up saving (although both HK and Dragonfall give you the option of siding with the villain).

Gothic 1 (sorta)

I would argue that those two games are, to some degree, about saving the world. Not necessarily in the sense of saving the entire world, but in that general direction of confronting some great evil that threatens everybody. In Gothic 1 it was The Sleeper, and in Bloodlines (without spoilers) you are trying to stop the ancient vampire being let loose on the world.

As for my list:

- PS:T obviously, as you mentioned already.
- Fallout: New Vegas - Caesar's Legion can be seen as an evil entity that's threatening the world, but since you can actually join them and help them, that makes them just another faction, with even some benefits over the supposed good guys.

Pretty sad that those two are the only ones I can think of. Man, do we need some creativity in this genre or what...

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Tons of old-school dungeon crawlers like Telengard.
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.
Alter Ego and Sword of the Samurai (if you consider them RPGs).
Dark Disciples 1 (if i remember correctly).

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
WL2. Darklands. EoB. Ravenloft. I think Wizardry 7 (since the world saving happens in 8), definitely 6. Wiz 1. MMX. Dark Sun you just fight against tyranny. There are a ton. I think more than not. At least for crpgs and not console bullshit or jrpgs where the little kids who like that shit like to save the universe and be the best hero ever invented.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
It's been awhile since I played them, but I don't remember any of the Infinity Engine games being about saving the world.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
...in Bloodlines (without spoilers) you are trying to stop the ancient vampire being let loose on the world.

I always felt the game was simply about navigating the world of vampire society with the mystery of the ship's cargo being a McGuffin. My impression of the ending:

Either Gehenna was simply a paranoid myth (vampires feed on humans, so naturally they fear falling prey to something more powerful), or Jack fed on the sleeping Antediluvian; killing him and gaining his power. I believe the former.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Underrail
Gothic 1 (sorta)
AOD (seriouslly this game is a masterpiece play it)
Temple of elemental evil (sorta)
Realms of Arkania 1 and 2 (old game)
Mount and blade warband

I approve of VTM: Bloodlines, as it's about saving a society, or at least part of a certain society. That's what makes it great. I'd love to mention Deus Ex, but it kinda is about saving the world, so...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Undertale :troll:

To be more serious:

Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2. (EoB3 ups the ante to "save the world")
Ultima Underworld 2 (You're just trying to escape)
Captive (You're trying to spring yourself from prison)
Dungeon Hack (Fetch an orb for some sassy sorceress)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom