Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Quake maps

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Just beat Insomnia, now i'm gonna try out Geophobia.

The best part of Insomnia is the opening hub, the rest of it is pretty average, and feels very moddey.

Astral Rag

Arcane
The Horde of Zendar

Amazing non-linear map with highly detailed architecture, cleverly hidden secrets and horde fighting done right.

The map is large and vertical but never gets annoying or confusing thanks to the use of shortcuts in the form of lifts and teleports.

Truly one of the best Quake maps.

Easily :5/5:

ze87sug.jpg

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Thanks! Most of the maps in that pack are outstanding, especially when you realize they were all made in two weeks or less! I'm also working on a map for the next pack that's scheduled for the 27th, with another theme.

baturinsky

Arcane
Tried a couple of maps... Realised that I like Doom or Duke or Blood better than Quake. Because Quake mobs are too bullet-spongy, while being quite easy to dodge. So killing them is quite boring.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Quake 2 - "Nightmare Orchards"
Quake 1 - dm4, kenya (ztndm3),
fragtown series

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
It's a must play. Telefragged and Ceci N'est Pas Une Pipe are some of the best Quake levels I've ever played. The former has 900+ enemies on Hard/Nightmare.

Divinity: Original Sin
I want to try one of HD packs for the original levels, but I see there's 3 HD texure packs. Which is the best? I want it mostly for the UI... does it affect the fan maps?

EDIT:

When loading a map, I receive a warning like:

"*** edicts exceeds standard limit of 600", or "*** models exceeds standard limit of 256". Is it serious?

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
I want to try one of HD packs for the original levels, but I see there's 3 HD texure packs. Which is the best? I want it mostly for the UI... does it affect the fan maps?

EDIT:

When loading a map, I receive a warning like:

"*** edicts exceeds standard limit of 600", or "*** models exceeds standard limit of 256". Is it serious?

I don't use or recommend those but here is a nice overview of the different engines and HD texture replacement mods.

Don't worry about it, did you use -heapsize 192000 +max_edicts 8192 -zone 2048 ?

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't use or recommend those but here is a nice overview of the different engines and HD texture replacement mods.

Don't worry about it, did you use -heapsize 192000 +max_edicts 8192 -zone 2048 ?

Yes...

Anyway, for now I'm just fumbling with things, I installed nehahra mission with quakespasm, and it doesn't work. Then it worked with darkplaces.

Whats the best course to change engines back and forth wothout messing with quakeinjector installations?I see that it just don't realize that you changed the engine, and a mission is indicated as installed.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
A new map pack has arrived! Func Map Jam 3, a community project by Func_Msgboard.

func_mapjam3_thumb.jpg

The theme of this jam was Zerstörer - Testament of the Destroyer, and it features six small to (very) large maps by DaZ, ericw, ionius, mfx, Tronyn, and scar3crow taking on various aspects of the mod (which is also included in this release). Prepare for evil atmosphere and hostile environments.

Several of the maps require an engine port with increased limits as well as support for fog.

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/func_mapjam3.html

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Sock has organized a semi-secret jam session on Twitter called Q1RetroJam. The rules: 1 wad, 1 day to create 1 bsp, <100 monsters, +traps, +skill lvls, +exit, +org bsp limits and +org detail lvl. The theme was Medieval (think the first few E1 maps and E2).
I tinkered a small map in about 20 hours (I streamed everything from beginning to end). It probably won't be stellar but it was fun. You can see pictures here: https://twitter.com/search?q=#Q1RetroJam&src=hash&mode=photos

The pack should contain at least 5 maps and should be released in a few hours. I'll post the link when it's released.

Riskbreaker

Just finished Telefragged from Rubicon Rumble Pack. Twas only RRP map I originally skipped cause I thought entire map was designed around annoying gimmick. Yeah, I tend to be a real fucking idiot at times.
Turns out this is easily the most impressive map from that (most excellent) package: gigantic, amazing-looking production facility populated by ridiculous amount of enemies, with loads of fun secrets and bits of nice humor here and there.
Also, that stealth/puzzle sequence at the very beginning was actually pretty fun! Really clever way to start a map.
EC7D158B05C8CB96C7D895E81FE2F6CF036EBDEA

E1D1A971FC5BD6BC60BF04EAE17EEF3F766C04CB

54BF31B3CF85A15A6292B4C919455FB51BF79B1D

CAE998693E64BC92C7468E88CBA07C6CBF96685C

1ADA7DC04F40CA4B3677B6E1CE0CE65538B82C7F

r3jonwah85

Savant

I have the Quake 4 Special Edition that came with that as well, although I am not sure if it got the same treatment on the PC version. Would be nice to do a coop run though. It is kind of funny that I never once thought about the differences between Quake 1 and 2 as a kid, when you play them now they are so very different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom