Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

good new squad games

miles teg

Scholar
So, I've been out of the game (no pun intended) for a few years and now I'm trying to locate some good new squad games, with turn based battles.

I've already played the classics (Xcom, x-com, ja2, shadow watch, shadowrun etc.) and spent a few hours with Battle Brothers but I'm looking for more. So far I've restricted the search to the 3 following games:

1) Halfway
2) Templar battle force
3) invisble inc.

the last one is more about stealth, I'm going to buy it but not at full price, so my choice is either halfway or Templar battleforce.

is there any reason to prefer the one over the other? Are they both good? both bad? one is more casual than the other?

Mustawd

1) Halfway
2) Templar battle force
3) invisble inc.

1.) Halfway at its best can be good. I’d recommend playing it vanilla. I tried the game plus version first and found it a bit too hard for my tastes. The main issue with the game is a lack of enemy variety. So missions start to feel a bit old after a while. But it’s still fun. Just wish the levels opened up a bit more. The last two missions have a lot more open feel to them, and they were the most fun.

Also, it uses the Xcom system. In other words, basically same AP system, cover system, and some other quirks that arent necessarily intuitive (such as snipers being less accurate at close range).

Also, unlike X-com, your upgrades come from equipment instead of your guys leveling. The story is kinda ok, with only one or two characters feeling fleshed out.

The best thing the dev team does though is atmosphere building. Very much an Aliens feel in a lot of ways.

Dunno about the other two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

Also, check out this thread:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/squad-level-tactical-games.7389/

Also, I haven’t played Templar Battleforce yet (I own it but on backlog), but it’s made by the same devs who are making Star Traders Frontiers and who made Heroes of Steel, which have gotten some fairly good reviews by codexers (moreso the former, as the latter was their first game IIRC).

It’s a pair of brothers who are huge nerds, and I think Templar Battleforce was their WH40k space marine knock off game.

Last edited by a moderator:

miles teg

Scholar
yeah somehow I'm more willing to buy Templar because of its different look and feel.
My main fear is, like many games with 1000 skills/abilities, it will end up as one of those imbalanced mess where 10 abilities are broken and 990 are useless :D
thansk for the list though, I have a lot of catch up to do

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Valkyria Chronicles is pretty good if you can stand the Jap animation art style.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mordheim would work too. The lack of a real campaign may be a problem for some. It is also somewhat similar to Battle Brothers.
Same with Warbaners, or The Stormguard: Darkness is coming.
TBF plays more like a Squad game, while Halfway is a RPG with fixed characters. Both are good.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ss_3ac06ff4fefa910ed8e87e239b158e4919bf9e02.600x338.jpg

ss_d22c1ec3e178da02eda457c1823920ac44b01e7a.600x338.jpg

ss_c57b50b4d4b741fd017d71a144a62fb2d2403576.600x338.jpg

Depth of Extinction
is a retro style, turn based tactics game with roguelike and RPG elements. 500 years after the waters rose, humanity is dying and only your team of mercs can find out what is trying to bring mankind to extinction. Find cover and attack enemies but be careful because every move is critical if you want to keep your team alive.

https://hofstudios.itch.io/doe

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Into the Breach is pretty good in deterministic emergent puzzles kinda way.

There is also Chroma squad and Hard West that might be worth checking out.

edit.
FFS I'm going to add couple more.

Warbanners Galdred mentioned this. Fantasy theme, has sieges, pretty hard.

Drums of War preceded Warbanners, orc campaign. Sadly only sold by Slitherine digital store.

Renowned Explorers roguelite in FTL-ish style. Has quite unique mood based combat system on which player could take friendly, devious or violent approach or some combination that suits situation.

Vigilantes combat against crime theme. Still in early access. Next update should bring last major gameplay mechanics that game is going to have.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
"Renowned Explorers "this one is very good. i didnt tried others that bro mentioned

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
as the latter was their first game IIRC
Nah, their first game was some Shadowrun-like RPG on the first versions of Android. Then they made the first Star Traders (not Frontiers). This was like, 6 or 7 years ago.

miles teg

Scholar
Yeah, I'm playing templar battleforce as well and it looks very very good. It's not very complex, but that's a plus for what I'm looking for right now. Considering buying the mobile version, too :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom