Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Mainstream Games (no, really)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is better than Bulletstorm. Better gunplay and scoring. Same case like Burderlands2 - try 2 hard to be cool and failed.

Dick.

Arcane
The Hitman games (barring Codename 47 and Shitribution) are excellent games that have tons of replayability and fun gameplay. Blood Money being by far is the most polished and detailed. (and my favorite)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I was going to name the thread "popamole games" but "mainstream" allows for greater variety.

It sure does, since most of the video games in existence are "mainstream".

Here's my list:

Fallout
Torment
Alpha Centauri
Thief
Deus Ex
trolololo

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a soft spot for linear third person shooters, the more outlandish story the better.
Some of the good ones:

Binary Domain (Set in the future. Robots have gone crazy and you are there to stop them. Funny characters with a interesting but cheesy story)
The Bureau: Xcom Declassified (It's nu-X-com but third person set in some kind of alternate X-com universe. The main character is smug as hell, I like him :) )
Clive Barker's Jericho (Not third person game but just as bizarre. You are part of some kind of anti-nazi demon squad. Just ridiculous)
Inversion (You play as a cop, and all of sudden the city you live in get attacked by some kind of cavemen mutants. Story is crazy, characters are even crazier and the writing, oh my. So much fun though)
Scourge: Outbreak (Sci-fi, evil corp doing evil things, and you need to stop them. Monsters, mutants, super-soldiers. Just crazy all around. Gets a bit grindy at the end, but fun in co-op)

Machocruz

Arcane
Red Dead Redemption - has the same problems as all open world games, but the western theme is really well done and consistent, likable tough guy main character, writing is fun and technically competent, core gameplay is better than other Rockstar games.

I second Dragon's Dogman and Hitman: Blood Monkey.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Big hype before release, cool trailers, game delivered - polished, great music, graphics, fluid controls, lots of cool gadgets and moves. But short. That was like perfect mainstream game at that time. At least in my part of town.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hitman contracts is worth playing - and it's sorta of a remake/reboot of the first two games too. It has almost all of the gameplay of blood money, except convenient body hiding dumpsters, and freeform pushing accidents. It has at least as many programed 'accidents'.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
I have a soft spot for linear third person shooters, the more outlandish story the better.
Some of the good ones:

Binary Domain (Set in the future. Robots have gone crazy and you are there to stop them. Funny characters with a interesting but cheesy story)
The Bureau: Xcom Declassified (It's nu-X-com but third person set in some kind of alternate X-com universe. The main character is smug as hell, I like him :) )
Clive Barker's Jericho (Not third person game but just as bizarre. You are part of some kind of anti-nazi demon squad. Just ridiculous)
Inversion (You play as a cop, and all of sudden the city you live in get attacked by some kind of cavemen mutants. Story is crazy, characters are even crazier and the writing, oh my. So much fun though)
Scourge: Outbreak (Sci-fi, evil corp doing evil things, and you need to stop them. Monsters, mutants, super-soldiers. Just crazy all around. Gets a bit grindy at the end, but fun in co-op)
Man, this must be the crappiest game list Ive ever seen.

pippin

The Bureau is basically Mass Effect if Shepard had a fedora surgically tied to his head. (The fact that there's rule 34 of agent Angela Weaver makes me really happy though).
That said, the "send squads to missions so they can level up" feature was nice, and I really missed that in the other nu-XCOM.

Gregz

Arcane
I recently replayed Mass Effect I at full dick-mode/renegade this time, and was pretty impressed.

I just acted the prick, did what I wanted, ignored side-quests etc...the game let me, and there were some pretty good lines, along with options of killing people off etc. which was fun.

Otherwise the gameplay and mechanics are bretty good.

The sequels are douche though, the idea of 'applying' cold and heat elements to your ammo as a skill you need to spend points on makes me

:x

I never played the 3rd one, and based on what I've read I think that was a wise decision.

Other thoughts:

Alpha Brotocol and DE:HR are very overrated.

Last edited:

pippin

HR could be seen as an overrated game, but it's still recognizable as a Deus Ex game. Just look at Hitman Absolution or the new THIEF.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Some of the good ones:

That one was surprisingly enjoyable (played it earlier this month). Another good jap TPS wtih robots is "Vanquish".

Ivan

Arcane
Playing Red Dead right now and it's p. good. Writing is great, as it usually is with Rock *. However I hope the sequel places a greater emphasis on survival. The West in this game is p. tame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom