Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good joystick for space sims

TheGreatOne

Arcane
What would be a good stick that fits the criteria:
- Can be found for cheap (maybe used) on eBay (or some game store located in Europe). I don't want to pay 150+ euros for some high end model like Saitek x52pro
- Compatible with modern PCs. It can be from the 90s as long as I can hook it up to my computer out of the box. In fact being old is prefered if it means I can find one dirt cheap online.
- Compatible with all the classics: TIE fighter, Wing Commander series etc. Being able the play modern games like Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous is a plus but not nessecary.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
What would be a good stick that fits the criteria:
- Can be found for cheap (maybe used) on eBay (or some game store located in Europe). I don't want to pay 150+ euros for some high end model like Saitek x52pro
- Compatible with modern PCs. It can be from the 90s as long as I can hook it up to my computer out of the box. In fact being old is prefered if it means I can find one dirt cheap online.
- Compatible with all the classics: TIE fighter, Wing Commander series etc. Being able the play modern games like Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous is a plus but not nessecary.
Best thing to do, however, list your budget.

I'm not exactly sure for space sims, but I played flight AND space sims, so I got HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick). Basically you have a joystick and a throttle lever, as in modern fighter.

Within my budget (which was whatever cheapest HOTAS I could find lol), my research brought me to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CXYMFS/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Lets say the price of a new game (60 USD/e) is what I'm willing to pay at most. Not very much for a specialized controller, I know. If its a more expensive stick, I'll likely buy a used one, which should halve the price.

I should say that I am willing to pay some extra for a stick with more buttons if it makes the controls less convoluted (ie no stick+keyboard control scheme).

Have you tried playing X-Wing/TIE Fighter/Privateer/Wing Commander 3-5 on that Thrustmaster? I just saw some one selling a used one for a decent price. If it works on those old games smoothly, I might buy it.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I use Logitech Attack 3 for space sims (it costs around 25$). I don't know how it works with dosbox games, but it's ok for gog versions of X-wing, Tie Fighter, Freespace, Independence War and other windows games.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

:Flash:

Arcane
It is quite simple:
- If you want compatibility with old Dos games on an original dos machine, you need a joystick that connects to a gameport. Those won't be compatible with modern PCs out of the box. I don't even know if there is still a way to get a gameport on a modern PC.
- If you want compatibility when using Dosbox, every modern joystick will work. Dosbox can use you USB joystick and emulate a gameport joystick.

For space sims I would recommend a joystick with 4 axis + coolie hat. Thus you will have a throttle axis and a roll axis and use the coolie hat to look around the cockpit.
Keep in mind that most old Dos games only support two axis, as this is the standard for a gameport. If the game supports more axis then only for specific joysticks (normally a Thrustmaster Flight Control and/or CH Flightstick), which use some wild trickery to transmit the extra information through the gameport, which must be read in a specific way by the game. Again, Dosbox can emulate both of those joysticks.

As for specific joysticks, I currently use a Logitech Extreme 3D pro. It has four axis, a coolie hat and 12 buttons. Again, dosbox can be used to map any of the buttons to keyboard keys, as normally dos games don't support more than 4 buttons.
Another alternative is the Thrustmaster T-Flightstick X. I actually had this for a short period, and I liked the bulkier design better than the Logitech. However the bulky stick itself gave me hand cramps, so I traded it in for the Logitech. I guess it is a question of personal preference (and anatomy).
Saitek has some alternatives as well, but I have no experience with them.
Unfortunately, all of those joysticks have the roll axis integrated into twisting the stick. I used to have a gameport joystick (a Boeder Flightstick Pro - notice how this stick has hardware switches for Windows and Dos compatibility and Thrustmaster and CH emulation for Dos) that had the fourth axis as a separate, self-centering wheel that was handled with the thumb. I actually liked this design better, as with the current design, it can happen that you accidentally twist the stick, when you just want to move it. I have not been able to find such a design again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom