Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
The only one I could recommend without any reservations is Grimith: www.youtube.com/grimithr

He's pretty much the only YouTuber who is neither dumb nor boring. (Most of them are both.)
He's done LPs of Fallout 1 + 2, MoO 2, Star Control 2, Alpha Centauri, a shit ton of Civ IV and other Codex favourites, including several tabletop RPG sessions. Eloquent, nice sense of humour, watching him "fucksnap" is hilarious, and he actually likes reading the manuals of the games he plays.

10/10, would watch again.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'm a fan of Tokshen for Mount and Blade related stuff. He does other games but I haven't watched much of that(except for his Dominions 4 ones, pretty bro).
https://www.youtube.com/user/tokshen

And as someone mentioned before, GameHorder. Almost all RPGs/Adventure games, a lot of old ones, and he plays them all through with complete narration. He has a pretty cool voice too IMO. Can get tiring with all the talking though.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GameHorder

This is the video I got started on but your tastes may vary:

Xeon

Augur
You could search for no commentary playthrough of a game.

No Commentary playthrough are pretty great when someone replays a game and takes the most efficient way, like the ideal order to do side quests or ideal path for the maximum outcome or something like that. Don't like watching a no commentary LP of someone stumbling around playing a game for the first time. Its pretty boring IMO.

Eyeball

Arcane
YouTube LP channels are neckbeard heaven and should be avoided lest you catch terminal virginity and/or libertarianism.

The exception is Cr1tikal's channel, which is bizarrely entertaining.

Luzur

Good Sir
I got a few let's play channels gathered in my bookmarks:

A guy with a funny accent plays through old and a few newer games. A lot of nice classics there.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Elanarae/playlists?shelf_id=1&view=1&sort=dd

Another guy with the same idea:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Kikoskia/playlists

And another:
https://www.youtube.com/user/GameHorder/playlists

Longplays of a buttload of games, no narrating so you can just enjoy the gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/user/cubex55/playlists

did you just copy my youtube list?

also, abit old (and prob not updated anymore.), but i recommend RPGGenie (http://www.youtube.com/user/RPGenie), Helloween4545 (https://www.youtube.com/user/Helloween4545) and UberhaxorNova (https://www.youtube.com/user/UberHaxorNova)

Oesophagus

Arcane
There's no better pastime than watching a guy with a deep yorkshire accent (and attitude) play System Shock 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulr20xC8NT0

This was strangely refreshing to me, someone coming in completely fresh to Dark Souls 2 and having a blast, being careful about everything. It's slow and plodding, but the player is pretty methodical. It's interesting to see what they do differently. Also it's interesting to see how a little common sense goes a long way to debunk the "omg it's SO HARD" fallacy that permeates the general perception / discussion around these games.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Quite many that I've watched have already been mentioned like Spoony, Sequelitis, Lazy Game Reviews, Twin Perfect's Silent Hill analysis, Errant Signal and Noah Caldwell-Gervais. And I think Matt Chat hasn't been mentioned yet, but I suppose every one here knows him.

Here are some that haven't been mentioned yet, though none of them are really "codexian"

Game Sack: they talk about oldschool console gaming. They really know their shit, mention many fairly obscure games (japan/arcade exclusive games etc) and hate modern gaming. The big downside is that they don't do PC gaming at all (besides playing games on old Japanese computers apparently) and they seem to think that most Western developers are shit because they've only been subjected to Western developed console games. They don't try to force too much humor into their episodes and they have nice editing and production values with out seeming over produced, and they put out a new video once every two weeks, which is nice considering their production values and the fact that most videos are 20+ minutes and not just some let's play videos that require 0 effort.

MetalJesusRocks: Former Sierra employee who makes hidden gem videos on different platforms and occasionally reviews some PC games. He's a curious one from a Codexian point of view: he grew up on C64 and oldschool PC gaming and games like Planescape: Torment and Pools of Radiance are some of his favorite games. Yet he plays and enjoys a lot of modern popamole trash like iOS games, has a large Xbox and Xbox 360 collection and he often recommends games that are utter shit/shovelware in his hidden games episodes, such gems as Snoopy vs the Red Baron for the PSP. Yet he most of the time he has a good taste when it comes to recommending games (included Shadowrun in his Genesis/Mega Drive video, Arx Fatalis in his Xbox video, CAVE shooters and Alpha Protocol in his Xbox 360 video and so on).
Judging by him, it is in fact possible to be able to enjoy both oldschool :obviously: games and modern popamole garbage equally. I mean he doesn't just play big budget AAA games, he enjoys playing shovelware kids games like that Snoopy game I mentioned earlier. And he's not the type who loved those :obviously: games when he was younger but now prefers modern gaming (like many former developers like Warren Spector), he still keeps playing and buying those old PC games too.

Those are the two channels I like to watch to scout out obscure/underrated games I might've never even heard about. Most of it is for consoles though, I haven't really seen any channels that really focus on older PC games. There's matt chatt, but he reviews a game once every 3 months and is not very good at it, where as Game Sack and MetalJesus make compilation videos that are quick to.

Then there's also Tasteful, understated nerd rage (Errant signal/Noah Caldwell type analysis videos, except the guy who makes them has more codexian opinions than those two hipster fucks) and JonTron (Spoony/AVGN style "angry reviews". Less intelligent than Spoony, more intelligent than AVGN. A lot of retarded and loud humor/"humor", but atleast he keeps his focus on posting those humor videos rather than 6 hour long self-indulgent vlogs of him eating chinese food with his girlfriend. Not to mention all the other narcissistic, boring shit that Spoony does for a living)

Last edited:

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What's the Kodex Konsensus of Retsupurae? They're supposed to be something bad (jokes, montage or lack of it, technical issues etc, based on TVTropes) but they're - suprise - funny, even comparing to supposedely "better" gaming/LP channels.
Some stuff here are hilarious (yet easly to lost in video flood).
https://www.youtube.com/user/retsupurae/videos

Also they started making videos called Kickstarter Nonstarter about some projects, propably Kz3ro would punch seal of approval like them.

Cadmus

Arcane
Quite many that I've watched have already been mentioned like Spoony, Sequelitis, Lazy Game Reviews, Twin Perfect's Silent Hill analysis, Errant Signal and Noah Caldwell-Gervais. And I think Matt Chat hasn't been mentioned yet, but I suppose every one here knows him.

Here are some that haven't been mentioned yet, though none of them are really "codexian"

Game Sack: they talk about oldschool console gaming. They really know their shit, mention many fairly obscure games (japan/arcade exclusive games etc) and hate modern gaming. The big downside is that they don't do PC gaming at all (besides playing games on old Japanese computers apparently) and they seem to think that most Western developers are shit because they've only been subjected to Western developed console games. They don't try to force too much humor into their episodes and they have nice editing and production values with out seeming over produced, and they put out a new video once every two weeks, which is nice considering their production values and the fact that most videos are 20+ minutes and not just some let's play videos that require 0 effort.

MetalJesusRocks: Former Sierra employee who makes hidden gem videos on different platforms and occasionally reviews some PC games. He's a curious one from a Codexian point of view: he grew up on C64 and oldschool PC gaming and games like Planescape: Torment and Pools of Radiance are some of his favorite games. Yet he plays and enjoys a lot of modern popamole trash like iOS games, has a large Xbox and Xbox 360 collection and he often recommends games that are utter shit/shovelware in his hidden games episodes, such gems as Snoopy vs the Red Baron for the PSP. Yet he most of the time he has a good taste when it comes to recommending games (included Shadowrun in his Genesis/Mega Drive video, Arx Fatalis in his Xbox video, CAVE shooters and Alpha Protocol in his Xbox 360 video and so on).
Judging by him, it is in fact possible to be able to enjoy both oldschool :obviously: games and modern popamole garbage equally. I mean he doesn't just play big budget AAA games, he enjoys playing shovelware kids games like that Snoopy game I mentioned earlier. And he's not the type who loved those :obviously: games when he was younger but now prefers modern gaming (like many former developers like Warren Spector), he still keeps playing and buying those old PC games too.

Those are the two channels I like to watch to scout out obscure/underrated games I might've never even heard about. Most of it is for consoles though, I haven't really seen any channels that really focus on older PC games. There's matt chatt, but he reviews a game once every 3 months and is not very good at it, where as Game Sack and MetalJesus make compilation videos that are quick to.

Then there's also Tasteful, understated nerd rage (Errant signal/Noah Caldwell type analysis videos, except the guy who makes them has more codexian opinions than those two hipster fucks) and JonTron (Spoony/AVGN style "angry reviews". Less intelligent than Spoony, more intelligent than AVGN. A lot of retarded and loud humor/"humor", but atleast he keeps his focus on posting those humor videos rather than 6 hour long self-indulgent vlogs of him eating chinese food with his girlfriend. Not to mention all the other narcissistic, boring shit that Spoony does for a living)

I watched the game room tour, that guy is really cool!
I watched some errant singal yesterday, what a retarded hipster..I could immediately tell because he wears an undershirt under his shirt.
TUN is by far the most interesting thing for me, he doesnt show his pimply face, doesnt play dress-up and other such shit.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I watched some errant singal yesterday, what a retarded hipster..I could immediately tell because he wears an undershirt under his shirt.
There's a whole thread for bashing him here on Codex. He started out alright, analyzing the mechanics of games. He made some great videos analyzing the game design of Deus Ex, Doom, Sonic and Tony Hawk's pro skater games. Then something happened and he started obsessing over inane indie garbage that no one has ever heard of. Now whenever he analyzes a game, it's just asinine SJW bullshit. He doesn't really talk about game or level design, but rather about gender roles and how Civilization dehumanizes the achievements of mankind or some stupid like that.
This is when he "jumped the shark". I've never seen such pseudo-intellectual masturbation anywhere else. He didn't always focus purely on mechanics and level design, as is apparent in his Doom and Sonic videos, but when he talked about how Sonic&Sega were trying to establish a more "rad" image to compete against Nintendo, it's an actually useful observation, he's not trying to read too deeply into mechanics and look for meaning behind them that isn't there (as he does in his more recent SJW videos)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Retsupurae. (is that supposed to be babling verion of Letsplay?) Claimed to be uproffesional yet in reality - one of very few cool gaming channels. Not to mention one of their creator make boom for LP channels, spreading it now in the Internet. no suprise he don't admit that nor he's proud of it...

That game... geezus, I remembet it wasn't special but now it seems to be even worse than I remember.
Only music remain good.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Happy Video Game Nerd has made a couple of good 20+ minute long reviews (Parasite Eve, Splatterhouse series and modern remake, D/Enemy Zero/D2). He did some cringe worthy "AVGN humor" in his earlier videos, but stopped trying to force humor and focuses more on being informative these days. He is quite analytical and objective, so some times he only recommend games to fans of certain genre or says that even though he does not enjoy a game, he can understand the appeal. Best avoid his Earthbound review though. He also disliked Eternal Darkness Sanitys Requiem and Mega Man 10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom