Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

grudgebringer

That guy from Double Fine :rpgcodex:

Astral Rag

Arcane
For now over a decade, Discovery's popular show Mythbusters has helped put an end to longstanding myths relating to popular culture, news stories, and everyday life. For next week's January 31st episode, they're taking their expertise to video games.

In this special episode dedicated to the hobby near and dear to our hearts, we're excited that id Software's own Tim Willits will be helping Adam and Jamie dig into an often-discussed topic of FPS games: Is it really possible for someone to carry all those health packs, guns, and even a chainsaw? Using the DOOM universe and DOOM 3 BFG Edition for reference, Tim helps the team recreate a DOOM level in real life.

Astral Rag

Arcane
So Discovery is a bit like the History Channel?

2f94bf6c5cad98e678181lluw9.jpg

For now over a decade, Discovery's popular show Mythbusters has helped put an end to longstanding myths relating to popular culture, news stories, and everyday life. For next week's January 31st episode, they're taking their expertise to video games.

In this special episode dedicated to the hobby near and dear to our hearts, we're excited that id Software's own Tim Willits will be helping Adam and Jamie dig into an often-discussed topic of FPS games: Is it really possible for someone to carry all those health packs, guns, and even a chainsaw? Using the DOOM universe and DOOM 3 BFG Edition for reference, Tim helps the team recreate a DOOM level in real life.

So what, they are testing how much shit a person can carry? Doom doesn't even have carryable health packs, wtf.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished No Rest For The Living aka Nerve.wad. Played with Beautiful Doom. It was surprisingly good. Let's just look at the first level, where you can easily find the exit, but you have the optional yellow keycard to obtain and see other parts of base. It was a good move to do that, since the whole mini episode is tight on ammo resources and has a really good encounters. The difficulty level is really high and will keep you focus. Id guys should make a new 32 level megawad. It would be glorious.

u8k6AaU.png

iItsK0A.png

d6x0DTe.png

c87amti.png

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It also works very well with Crispy Doom as well since it natively supports it, for the vanilla flavour. Chocolate Doom is out since it requires a limit-removing port. I was surprised by the quality of this one, especially given how much the official Doom port and the Doom 3 BFG Edition felt rushed.

Riskbreaker

Been playing some Hocus Doom, TC based on old Apogee platformer Hocus Pocus.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45804
Current playable demo contains one episode with seven more-or-less complete maps.
Good stuff: this is a total conversion in every possible sense. Author aims to create as-faithful-as-possible 3D Hocus Pocus game, and I daresay he did a pretty good job so far. Doom with another coat of paint this ain't.
Out of seven so far released maps each is pretty well designed, with some quasi non-linearity in that they sometimes allow you to collect magic orbs in whatever order you wish (not always, as some areas will unlock only after an orb is collected).
Also, this shit is so goddamn pretty. Author tried to be faithful to Hocus Pocus aesthetics as well as gameplay, and again I think he did a damn good job so far! Few screens:
2591BC622A3A1971D9C96988688818553C6AFF4A

Asshole wizards are back:
8E1CFDCD1D6E77E058D2B482BEA699588CFB7B0B

53A927E4F45AB7C24679CB9307EBFFFB1AE1ED24

06CF4EEFA8C7F544D31C8BBFD561BAAC903372F5

Blastin' some squat Eskimos:
FB96070BE1F8A469BE124F65C4A243E56C4300F6

Chillin' with some familiar faces:
1E604FEE1D0FD6FAC8815ABA1AABED6B422ACE01

F6BD7C8742EB65CD7B3914E759236B384FF4E1CB

Not so good stuff: you are limited to one "weapon" which, for the duration of each map, can be improved by collecting power-ups. There are also several types of potions you can find, that (either for a limited time or limited amount of shots) offer improvements such is rapid fire, scatter shots etc. These are pretty rare tho, as expected.
Author seems pretty vehement about keeping it this way, so new "weapons" or spell types are not to be expected. That might be faithful to original game, thing is I don't it works in FPS environment. So, despite the quality of maps, prettiness, variety of environments etc... this demo eventually felt pretty monotonous. I was... well, I was bored, and that is such a fucking shame!
This TC needs weapon variety.

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Amazing what you can do with Doom!

And people wonder why I never watch TV. I even managed to convince the wife to cancel cable subscription.

I havent watched TV since the end of the football World Cup myself, when the cable company dropped Animal Planet (which unlike Discovery and History Channel didn't turn into Redneck TV). Even threw out my old TV some weeks ago. Maybe I'll replace it with an aquarium.

Hopefully I'll find a torrent of that Doom Mythbusters program. Or does Discovery stream?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I though TNT and Plutonia were well knowed, iirc they're even on Steam?
I probably give it a shot after doing addons for Quake cause Master of Doom was meh.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
TNT and Plutonia ? First time I hear of those. Holy moly, this thread is full of surprises !

I wish I could brofist more than once.

grudgebringer

I couldn't believe someone didn't know about TNT/Plutonia up to this point. They are like official add-ons to Doom 2, FFS. I had recently replayed the whole Plutonia from start to finish and it's really great. Some later levels are especially good.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Plutonia is far better than TNT imo. There's also a Plutonia 2 megawad that's definitely worth checking out.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Surely, after all those years, there must be more classic megawads than those.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Thanks for info about Plutonia2.
And according to mobygames - yes, they're on Steam. It's called Final Doom. It contain both TNT:Evilution and Plutonia Experiments.

Luzur

Good Sir
Been playing some Hocus Doom, TC based on old Apogee platformer Hocus Pocus.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45804
Current playable demo contains one episode with seven more-or-less complete maps.
Good stuff: this is a total conversion in every possible sense. Author aims to create as-faithful-as-possible 3D Hocus Pocus game, and I daresay he did a pretty good job so far. Doom with another coat of paint this ain't.
Out of seven so far released maps each is pretty well designed, with some quasi non-linearity in that they sometimes allow you to collect magic orbs in whatever order you wish (not always, as some areas will unlock only after an orb is collected).
Also, this shit is so goddamn pretty. Author tried to be faithful to Hocus Pocus aesthetics as well as gameplay, and again I think he did a damn good job so far! Few screens:
2591BC622A3A1971D9C96988688818553C6AFF4A

Asshole wizards are back:
8E1CFDCD1D6E77E058D2B482BEA699588CFB7B0B

53A927E4F45AB7C24679CB9307EBFFFB1AE1ED24

06CF4EEFA8C7F544D31C8BBFD561BAAC903372F5

Blastin' some squat Eskimos:
FB96070BE1F8A469BE124F65C4A243E56C4300F6

Chillin' with some familiar faces:
1E604FEE1D0FD6FAC8815ABA1AABED6B422ACE01

F6BD7C8742EB65CD7B3914E759236B384FF4E1CB

Not so good stuff: you are limited to one "weapon" which, for the duration of each map, can be improved by collecting power-ups. There are also several types of potions you can find, that (either for a limited time or limited amount of shots) offer improvements such is rapid fire, scatter shots etc. These are pretty rare tho, as expected.
Author seems pretty vehement about keeping it this way, so new "weapons" or spell types are not to be expected. That might be faithful to original game, thing is I don't it works in FPS environment. So, despite the quality of maps, prettiness, variety of environments etc... this demo eventually felt pretty monotonous. I was... well, I was bored, and that is such a fucking shame!
This TC needs weapon variety.

Hahaha well fuck me! this is a wad i didnt expect to see, whats next, Catacomb Doom?

A horse of course

There are actually quite a few very obscure 90s FPS gnomes I'd love to see remade for the Doomsday/jDoom engine, such as Bram Stoker's Dracula tie-in.

A horse of course

Whoa... whoa. I'm actually very surprised that some of you did not know about tnt and plutonium. Well, happy to share some good wads anyways.

A common misconception about codexers is that they form some sort of cognitive elite. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:roll: I for one was being ironic. I assume ninja was being too, I mean TNT and Plutonia were basically an official add-on to Doom and were sold as "Final Doom".

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Surely, after all those years, there must be more classic megawads than those.

Have you tried Memento Mori? I've played most of the notable WADs from 1993-1996, and that one is my favourite so far. Especially the levels made by the Cosali brothers were good; I like large levels where I can kill whole legions of Hell (or make them infight).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom