Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Astral Rag

Arcane
"Adrian's original sketch of the Cyberdemon, then he made the clay model (1993)"

B47E2_nCQAA0fRx.jpg:large

"The original and definitive sketch of DOOMGUY. The clay model was created from this sketch. (1993)"
B4uZVdCCAAE_XKz.jpg:large

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished Going Down from this year's Cacodaemon Awards. The idea behind this wad is simple - we have an elevator and on each level we need to find a key to go further down. The maps aren't big, mostly mini arenas and some additional corridors that will always make fights hard and you will fight with a big number of enemies. I've played with Brutal Doom, but near the end I've given up in sp and made an online server to see how it ends. The penultimate map has more than 1000 monsters which caused the game to crash. The last map is a spider which starts shooting with a chaingun, then he turns red and behaves like mancubus. Of course there are some minor imps and monsters around.

SNDR5oW.jpg

IFnMlvP.jpg

5cYpqKh.jpg

w7im7kz.jpg

sDxzBRL.jpg

Astral Rag

Arcane
Flashback to Hell

This 15 level wad is a Doom 2 re-imagining of sorts, most levels are expertly made and fun. Gameplay feels classic but it's harder than Doom 2 especially in the later levels. I loved the look of the final map but I didn't like the gameplay. I also dislike the liberal placement of "chaingun snipers" in a lot of the more open maps.

The new music is pretty good.

2484AA320F1BE5F2FDCF59E44B5B04AC7D71F083

217fuqe.jpg

87qtqco.jpg

110kgufx.jpg

2014i8qxf.jpg

856521F7C667B55F91F0C6846891D3416502C349

22D992308C4B11DD53CC6D958E43DB6AAB52806A

472BAEAC0F14A449346BD2BA03236B8DB59AF737

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
What else is there to say? There is Plutonia 2 from Dario and Mario Casali. And there are Cacowards. End of thread.

Plutonia 2 is from a group that was inspired by Plutonia which was made by the Casali. Aside from providing inspiration they had little to do with Plutonia 2.

Finished the second wad from Cacowards list - The Adventures of Square. Very nice, although at first I was amazed by the graphics. It's like a fps combined with platform elements, not being serious at all. It reminded me of that little moment in MDK where whe can see lovely trees and grass and all of that was just a trap. Same pallete of colours I guess. Sometimes you need to find the key, sometime a cd to upload something into the computer. Or flood some place with the water to finally move to the other part of the level. Funny mod, it's the first episode, more will probably come.

z9lmuOX.jpg

euWgR5z.jpg

GO7IBlo.jpg

rzJLhhO.jpg

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Late to the party and all but I never played the Master Levels. I’m around mid-way through them and they’re rather good. The Doom community has done much more over the years but as far as 1995 content go, there’s some quality. So far I like the designs of John Anderson the best, for the architecture, secrets, and traps—I also played his other maps freely available and Crossing Acheron was a real pleasure.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Played Master Levels myself about a year ago, but sadly can't remember many details from the WADs.
I didn't like my countryman Kvernmo's WADs much; too focused on multiplayer for my taste.
I think Jim Flynn had some really huge, unlinear levels that I liked.
John Anderson's were clever, but not quite my cup of tea.

Finished Doom - The Rebirth. It's very conservative in the level desing and the number of monsters on each one of them. It combines the architecture of both games but never goes over the top. Played with Beautiful Doom, it's fun to hear the new sounds and minor gameplay changes. Feels more fair than Brutal Doom.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rebirth

poLAtbL.png

The second hidden level, where the Cyber Spider is blocking the key behind him. I've improvised and after some time finally made it barely to start a boss fight. Always love that in Doom, that you can use friendly fire to your advantage.

lUzVtbo.png

First secret level, if anyone was asking with unique enemies.

zgMosAu.png

Secret location found :lol:.

unKxUGs.png

Wad has changed the Baron's look and the zombie pistol guys are headless.

D5YsoW8.png

One of the later levels, arena with teleporting monsters.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
My adventures with Master Levels continue. I don’t like Chris Klie’s maps much, or at least not as much as others, but he does some very interesting stuff in a bite-size, often disposable, context. I like the feeling of disorientation he induces, playing with your expectation only to take another direction. Though his are not my favourite kind of levels, I can see the work that went into it and the quality it achieves; thus it is a worthy representative of one kind of level-design and certainly has its place amongst the Master Levels. I’ll be sure to check some of his other work later because it should still be worth experiencing even if my preferences do not lie with it.

Jim Flynn is probably my second favourite after John Anderson. His architecture and lighting are not as developed but the size of the levels and emphasis on puzzles is rather cool. It’s fun to figure out how his level work and the best order in which to tackle them. He also makes some very devious traps, including a very dirty and clever one involving a barrel in Trapped on Titan—probably lost if you use a source port that removes the infinitely tall actors. His non-Master Level work seemingly lack polish, but I find them well-worth playing so far. I enjoy the slower pace his designs force on you, even if he isn’t averse to some good action pieces—probably something that would be ruined with Brutal Doom.

Well, only Kvernmo left now!

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Funny, everyone bitched how Brutal Doom is bad, yet nobody recomended his better rival - Beautiful Doom. Finished last Doom game on Steam library (Master Levels) with it and it was great.
:love:

Is it allowed to talk about Quake1 here? Cause I tried it after helluva long time, was nice so far (except the fact that I'm still on maps that I played too much).
Any recomended mod/map pack?
Is there any weapon pack for Quake?
So far I'm using DarkPlaces, added music pack and some graphic packs are too eyeburning (Tenebrae, how could I liked that before?).

What about Generation Arena or what was it called, where you play with every Id character on arena with every weapons from Id games?

Astral Rag

Arcane
So far I'm using DarkPlaces, added music pack and some graphic packs are too eyeburning (Tenebrae, how could I liked that before?).

I only use Quakespasm, check out this thread if you're looking for some custom maps you can also find my Quakespasm settings there.

I'm rather conservative when it comes to playing my old favorites, for Quake I want a source port that provides:

relatively faithful visuals
1080p
144fps
perfect mouse control
good custom map support

I have tried a lot of source ports but QS always came out on top.

Check out some of Custom Gamer's excellent but spoilerific Quake videos if you want to see Quakespasm in motion, it's unfortunate that he doesn't use r_particles 2 :decline:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom