Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, ok, Dreed didnt like that, so what about this then? if this isnt good enough, i cant really help you guys anymore, you might wanna install Wolfenstein 2: the Colossus then.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
oZaDZ9P.png

0OudoeM.png

That MooD game looks good.

I've always been a bit surprised we never got any top-down shooter from the big FPS developers in the '90s, what with so much those old auto aim FPS games playing like them. Seems even weirder given how much GT Interactive/Infogrames/Atari was trying to make Duke Nukem happen on console as something other than a FPS for a few years. What was there, basically just Raven Software with MageSlayer and Monolith with Get Medieval of the FPS developers that even tried it?

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've always been a bit surprised we never got any top-down shooter from the big FPS developers in the '90s, what with so much those old auto aim FPS games playing like them. Seems even weirder given how much GT Interactive/Infogrames/Atari was trying to make Duke Nukem happen on console as something other than a FPS for a few years. What was there, basically just Raven Software with MageSlayer and Monolith with Get Medieval of the FPS developers that even tried it?

Raven also developed Take No Prisoners in 97.

Raven also developed Take No Prisoners in 97.

Yeah, but that's more like a weird early take on a third person shooter. Not that it isn't very similar, but you also can't see all around you a once because the cameras on your back.

Sjukob

Arcane
Finaly finished Whispers of Satan. I was trying to get into it since the beggining of 2016, I think. Decent megawad overall, the maps generally have 80-120 monsters in them and only towards the very end this number jumps to 300 and more, so the overall playthrough is pretty smooth and even relaxing. The maps looks nice and there is plenty of good music too, but nothing extraordinary. I've seen some people complain about maps having too many mirrored sectors, but I haven't felt much of it. Pretty good megawad, gets my approval.

I am starting to notice that I am getting tired of hell themed maps, can anyone here recommend some megawads that are not like this ? I think I would gladly take anything.

Oh and one more recommendation from me
Flashback to hell - a 15 level mapset. A very pleasant experience without any noticeable drawbacks, I can only mention that it was pretty easy for me, author says that each map was made for pistol start, but I don't play like this. So may be you will find this more challenging.

Last edited:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
About 2 years late, but I got around to playing Pirate Doom. Holy shit this is amazing. Everything about this is just wonderful. The sounds, the music, the graphics, the enemies, the level design, the pacing, the encounters... everything. It's challenging without being just pure enemy spam, the levels are non-linear without being baffling mazes, and it even manages to be funny as hell while it does it. The circus level in particular is fantastic. If people put as much effort into AAA games as they did into things like this we'd all be in gaming nirvana right now.

Ash

Arcane
About 2 years late, but I got around to playing Pirate Doom. Holy shit this is amazing. Everything about this is just wonderful. The sounds, the music, the graphics, the enemies, the level design, the pacing, the encounters... everything. It's challenging without being just pure enemy spam, the levels are non-linear without being baffling mazes, and it even manages to be funny as hell while it does it. The circus level in particular is fantastic. If people put as much effort into AAA games as they did into things like this we'd all be in gaming nirvana right now.

Except the amount of effort that goes into AAA games is about a hundred-fold than this. Effort-wise pirate doom has taken many assets from other games, and has done so inconsistently. e.g some weapons are ripped from Outlaws which has a cartoony style, while other weapons have a photo-realistic look.

It's the design that is relevant. It's the Doom formula with cool new ideas and level design, which is ace, while modern games are crappy sellout braindead gameplay garbage.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
For people who enjoy somewhat story driven Doom mods, Ashes 2063, a post apocalyptic themed TC is nearly completed.

The main developer only needs to finish two last maps, some enemy graphics, cutscenes, and the final boss.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=1052143#p1052143

I played the demo of the first two levels a while back and it is a pretty entertaining mod so far. Perhaps not as advanced looking like say Blade of Agony but definitely something for people who like games like Strife.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Went back and finished Pirate Doom. Interesting final boss battle, and even has a little farewell level with the credits. Great levels, fun enemies, nice music, cool weapons. Highly recommended.

Astral Rag

Arcane
John Carmack recalls “frustrating” arguments with Apple’s Steve Jobs

Memories from a decades-long relationship of mutual respect and confrontation.
Kyle Orland - 5/15/2018, 5:59 PM

latest

When John Carmack talks publicly these days, he's usually focused on intricate technical matters, the blue-sky potential of virtual reality, or occasionally business-focused lawsuits. So when the Doom co-creator and Oculus CTO used a lengthy Facebook post to open up about his memories of Apple's late CEO Steve Jobs, it provided an interesting and rare look into two enigmatic tech luminaries.

Carmack leads off by recalling his fondness for Jobs' expensive NeXT workstations, mentioning a failed marketing deal to feature "Developed on NeXT" branding on the original Doom, well before it was a cultural phenomenon. That failed marketing deal put Jobs and Carmack in each others' orbit, a proximity which Carmack says he used to convince Jobs to adopt OpenGL 3D graphics standards on Macintosh, rather than using Apple's own proprietary API.

Despite the problems with Apple's OpenGL support (many of which the newer Vulkan standard seeks to fix), Carmack says getting Apple to adopt the open graphics standard ended up being key to getting mobile phone companies to adopt it years later, preventing a situation where "half a dozen SoC vendors [roll] their own API back at the dawn of the mobile age." He considers that knock-on effect "one of the biggest indirect impacts on the industry that I have had."

Carmack also recalls his disappointment with Apple's initial focus on "Web Apps" for the original iPhone and how he argued hard for the "real native access" that would eventually be embodied by the iOS App Store and its developer SDK. He says he pushed back against Jobs' security-based excuses for initially limiting developers' direct access to the iPhone, leading to a "vigorous conversation" that made other Apple employees back away from an angered Jobs.

Later, in a 2008 interview, Carmack infamously said that "Steve Jobs doesn't care about games," a statement he predicted would "get fed back to [Jobs] and I'm on his shithead list for a while on that, until he needs me to do something else there." On Facebook, Carmack confirmed that public comments like those put him on Jobs' "down side," leading to secondhand reports that Jobs "explicitly instructed them to not give me access to the early iPhone SDK when it finally was ready."

"It was often frustrating, because he could talk, with complete confidence, about things he was just plain wrong about," Carmack said. "But when I knew what I was talking about, I would stand my ground against anyone."

Carmack's full post includes plenty more personal reminiscence about Jobs requesting Carmack to delay his own wedding to attend an Apple keynote, Carmack's difficulty showing a blood-soaked Doom 3 at a subsequent Apple event, and much more. "The Steve Jobs 'hero/shithead' rollercoaster was real," he recalls. "I corroborate many of the negative character traits that he was infamous for, but elements of the path that led to where I am today were contingent on the dents he left in the universe. I showed up for him."

steve-jobs-gamer-ars.jpg

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
Reikalls Voxels decoration
cvafj3c3l84idc26g.jpg

its "tru" step into 3d heretic

After seeing Voxelstein or Voxel Chibi Doom, I thought that voxel are dead-end technology. But Reikall Voxels are example what miracle you can achieve with it. This decorations and pickups blend in perfectly. All his 3d models are 100% faithful with sprites [if you look en-face on them], keep the Heretic ambient [no polygonal angularity, but pixel-shades] and add dimensional depth [look at it from the side] to the game.

no voxel monsters in this quality however :(

https://www.moddb.com/mods/reikallhereticvoxels

need:
GZDoom, heretic.wad
drag and drop rekallhereticvoxel.pk3 over GZdoom.exe

in game:
options > reikal voxel setting > auto rotate ON

Lagi

Savant
Has anyone tried this mod for Hexen? I did but I'm conflicted about the 'rating' I should give to it.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/legend-farewell-edition/downloads/legend-farewell-edition-83

Remember to also get 8.3.1; this mod requires doomsday (old version - you can find it in the website of the mod itself)

It works with last version also.
I'm stuck in first level.:roll: There is porkator instead of key to the gate. In the new library room i can not find anything. Any spoiler, please?

I dont like the [1st] weapons. Warrior great-axe attack sprite look jarring, somethings wrong with the perspective. Cleric and Mage akimbo is too contrived for my taste, although not bad executed. Alternative fire here is missing. Mage staff should has bigger drawback, maybe range attack forbid/slow character movement?

I like more pick-ups, esp. disks of repulsion.

It works with last version also.
I'm stuck in first level.:roll: There is porkator instead of key to the gate. In the new library room i can not find anything. Any spoiler, please?

I dont like the [1st] weapons. Warrior great-axe attack sprite look jarring, somethings wrong with the perspective. Cleric and Mage akimbo is too contrived for my taste, although not bad executed. Alternative fire here is missing. Mage staff should has bigger drawback, maybe range attack forbid/slow character movement?

I like more pick-ups, esp. disks of repulsion.

in the room where you would have found the key in vanilla hexen, try checking the wall.

Crash

Literate
Thanks, managed to download it now.

Tried Golden Souls 2 that is mentioned in this thread, but got stuck already in the first map :oops: One of those platforms/cliffs is that lead to other part of the map that I haven't been too, is too far away for simply jumping there. Shop doesn't sell anything that would help the situation either. 'Campaign' map also does not let me reach other maps before finish this. And GS2 has no walkthrough or anything :|

Lagi

Savant
this thread remind me about youth time, when I have to speak with playmate's for guidance in games.
:obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom