Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

illuknisaa

Cipher
https://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7453
New major GZDoom release. SSAO support in GL mode and multithreaded software rendering are the biggest news on the end user side, and, more importantly, on the modder side it introduces ZScipt which is meant to be easier to learn and more powerful successor of DECORATE.

I'm not sure if zscript is easier to learn than decorate. I've been looking at the thread at zdoom forums and I have no fucking idea what they are talking about. Looking at supposed changes listed in zdoom wiki however there doesn't seem to huge differences between decorate and zscript outside of a slightly different syntax and added functionality.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Pretty interesting, albeit a little stale to watch. The creator obviously put a lot of thought into this.

Wow, Ancient Aliens is an amazing wad. I can't stop playing this thing. So colorful, amazing setpieces and encounters. I'm not sure if anything will top it in my books.

Also tried Scythe for the first time, but gave up on the last map on UV. It was way too much for me to handle. I haven't been big into the Doom scene before, but something tells me I'm not good enough at the game to complete a decent portion of them.

Ash

Arcane
Doom 64 had some mighty fine level design, possibly better than any .wad I've played. To be fair though, it was developed professionally, five or so years ahead of the original, and then was further polished up in the recent Brutal release. In the case of any Doom fags that don't like BD it may be worth tracking down the non-BD port of Doom 64 to play it. It started out a bit meh but progressively offered some really great gameplay.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dev has been busy. In the comments they have said the game should be done when part 21 (we're on part 4) of their series of weapon analysis is done, so about 3 months from now. Probably in jest, but I'm still looking forward. Fun fact, the sprites were actually pre-made in blender, which really helps give off that pre-rendered SNES look.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Nothing ground-breaking but I find these noteworthy:

• Chocolate Doom 3.0 is now in beta and you can test it. This is a major change for ChocoDoom as it will move from SDL 1.2 to SDL 2.0, providing better screen rendering, more port opportunities and better integration with Windows (fixing, amongst other things, the music volume always at maximum bug).
  • The Doom Minor Sprite Fixing Project is now hosted on idgames. If you already downloaded the previous release, the WADs are exactly the same; only the txt was updated. The project is pretty much complete at this point, until more sprite ressources are released by John Romero or someone else, or more issues are found. More compatibility patches for mods that alter the graphics will be worked on though.

Lastly, not really news but something I found out only today and that others may be interested in: since 3.4, Crispy Doom offers to cap the framerate to 35 fps (the default), 60 (supposedly better for LCD screens that use this refresh rate), 70 (doubles the normal framerate and should look better on CRTs), or uncapped (requires more CPU usage and may burn batteries faster on laptops). I liked the idea of capping the framerate to 60 or 70 so it would still be smooth but not use my CPU as much, but doing so always caused tiny pauses that were quite disturbing (I’m too good at noticing these kinds of things) so I left it uncapped to avoid the problem. Today, I found out that by editing the crispy-doom.cfg file and changing the video_driver value to "directx", originally left as "", that would solve my problem. As simple as that.

Last edited:

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Perhaps you should play it again, then, because he's wrong. His own video proves it, too: at ~7.20 an imp's fireball passes harmlessly over the player's head, which quite clearly demonstrates that the engine is capable of positioning things in 3D space. FWIW Quake also uses BSP, and he praises that as a true(r) 3D game.

Anyway you don't have to take my word for it: here's the relevant DoomWorld thread where people who write source ports, and so know a lot more about the engine than you or me, agree with me.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
1456663954909.gif

tumblr_o32pprykyd1rcn5zto1_1280.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Talk about being late to the party. People with any level of know-how about Doom (Read: Have played it) know this.

The part where he says you can't look up and down in Doom engine or how vertical auto-aim was not by design (lol what) was hilarious. Either he never played those games or he is banking on the fact his audience don't know and won't care and those facts would undermine his grand thesis in the first place.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Talk about being late to the party. People with any level of know-how about Doom (Read: Have played it) know this.

The part where he says you can't look up and down in Doom engine or how vertical auto-aim was not by design (lol what) was hilarious. Either he never played those games or he is banking on the fact his audience don't know and won't care and those facts would undermine his grand thesis in the first place.

Looking up and down in Doom engine rapes the eyes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Hmm... I seem to recall thinking that the vertical auto-aim of the original Doom was pretty lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom