Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Riskbreaker

Heresy of the highest order!

They're tomatoes, and they'll always be tomatoes.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Project Notebook: nice Inferno replacement from the author who later made rf'1024.

7B43B99D635BF699A0E328C1C16F77F539C6584E
3F874D175550BB7EC7F200CD37ED67C21A998707

7CD822BE7DFDD4E96F2C6387C2BE04C56091F880

9C5435A978BEA5F0A8E2F3679BCBEDCE5D1802B3

6165CF663FF9CA4282AA1C0F95414CB1D8A2741F

FEC0236C0909003CC72D132F962073E83F7336B6

2C6CEED23B807297F7C8E007D573FF0144894DAF

Astral Rag

Arcane
DC30847B27E1AD08843EDC7696A1FFFB46103D7C

I just finished playing Sawdust. What a great wad this turned out to be.

This is a pretty damn challenging and great-looking set of levels. 1 or 2 of the 7 maps are on the slaughtery side of the spectrum BUT they are well-thought-out and don't contain a retardedly high number of monsters so I didn't mind them, the other maps are all top-tier IMO. Level design is excellent throughout, custom monsters fit the theme and will make you sweat on numerous occasions.

Good stuff.

This may be my favourite level of the pack:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
I still enjoy using Random Deaths and Decorations from time to time but I never liked the arm dismemberment animations some monster had so I removed those.

In case some of you are of the same persuasion:
ZDoom version: https://mega.nz/#!M1xFwAxZ!nfPmrz4KXVVg0ZkofO2hUjB6sNYTK6hg6ddAQ9uWSC8
Zandronum version: https://mega.nz/#!JooFgZ5Z!I3E38A_X8S9c991ElzK2_pqMoDIHdbeGdSH9vg20QSg

This version also removes the knockback/rolling animations:
ZDoom: https://mega.nz/#!V0ZWkCKL!5ywxAUrdKYXfunWHsyh6z18VUkpAbxUfEb0XU1sIp00
Zandronum: https://mega.nz/#!s9xzmS7T!ChtKI0yDzr4Ic1MQVZGv4weL0eUK4Q6VDD2lwQfKvuo

Last edited:

dunno lah

Arcane
I think the rolling anims are awesome, especially when you blast an imp with a shotgun and it falls down a staircase with those anims playing. I mostly have problems with the lower quality of the newer sprites, especially the new caco corpses, which look like shit compared to the vanilla corpse. The baron/knights also aren't great either. I'm also having this weird thing where the Archie moves a little in slow-mo at most times. Not sure if its my 2006 PC or the mod itself.

Riskbreaker

So, Pyroscourge (of Winter's Fury fame) is coming back with a new GZDoom project
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52612
so I've decided to check his older, pre-WF wads.
Unfortunately, I barely suffered thru one map of his first ever wad (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/darkness ) but on the other hand his second wad
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/iedge
presents a major improvement and is very much worth playing. Two-map piece, first being a huge map with two distinct phases, and second being one extremely intense boss fight. First map starts as a mixture of tech indoors and natural outdoors areas, and then becomes increasingly hellish and surreal as one goes on. Feels almost like a proto-WF in several ways, visuals (minus dat wintery theme, and obviously not as impressive), gameplay, boss fight (together with healthbar design identical to that from WF's bosses), cutscenes. Nice and polished Tormentor-ish detailing, not too difficult gameplay (first map), lotsa fancy but non-intrusive scripting. There are some issues tho, at some points one has no idea where exactly is one supposed to go, and there is also quite a bit of platforming (sometimes with instant-death hazard). Jumping and crouching are both required. Also boss map is mayhaps a bit too difficult for its own good (small size of the arena and particle overload caused by some of big bad's attacks aren't helping).

Oh yes, screenshits:
56996A18D99749E041E5BE61CC08C6F036AEF7EC

F6669460008771F462B7B7A4EDD7A7EB8B891C16

5E21DCBE8D0A1D67C83323F1BB60701D56F1AFD1

1605255896774E46AF715B63E123B4AC39CFDF47

779984ED1C89738A7F163576A32BDD1A01B0FE74

D0091051FB462A7F0576D6B0E93B6637441C4F6C

Last edited by a moderator:

tormund

Arcane
there is also quite a bit of platforming (sometimes with instant-death hazard)
:killit:

BTW, from that thread it looks like he is still working on SUPERNatural. I haven't heard about that one for ages... Demo from few years ago didnt impress me, it was amazing from the technical standpoint but gameplay was ass. It played p much like another Slender clone, you were running around labyrinthine areas while collecting shit and avoiding monsters (of course there was nothing like stealth or any way to distract monsters, you only had second or two to leave their line of sight if they saw you or else you had to run until you lose them). I didn't even finish it.
Winter's Fury was fantastic though.

tormund

Arcane
Team Raycast's Batman themed TCs for Wolf 3D are p cool shit

There was nothing new on the Doom side of things, sadly. Some time ago a guy from Zdoom forums was working on a GZDoom reimagining of Batman Doom, and he intended to add brand new maps later on, but that project was inactive for some time.

tormund

Arcane
Well, he didn't say how he intends to distribute it. If this is just labor of love by original dev who intends to release it for free, than it's alright by me. But it IS sort of pointless if it is original level design in new engine and with 3D assets though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Rejoice! The Doom Minor Sprite Fixing Project has been updated to 1.7!

If you missed the previous post on the subject, this mod simply aims to fix errors in the original Doom and Doom 2 sprites. It also adds the mirrored sprites for some enemies from the animation tables released by John Romero earlier. It’s compatible with most WADs, as long as they don’t replace sprites, and looks pretty nice. You can see some comparisons on the main post for the WAD. This is a minor update but every little bit helps.

Edit: the same thing exists for Heretic.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

baturinsky

Here: https://github.com/Realm667/WolfenDoom
Download the zip file, extract its contents, go into WolfenDoom-master folder, select all of its contents, zip 'em and save the zip file as a .pk3 file. There.
You'll also need the latest dev build of GZDoom in order to run it.

Mind you, this thing is still heavily WiP ans is updated on a daily basis, so you might want to wait a bit unless you're desperate to try it.

Hehe.

Nature's Call [1.0]
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53115

What is it?
1a. Have you ever questioned how Doom Guy manages to sink knee-deep into hell—drinking mysterious blue liquids and eating armor bonuses hamburgers while angrily punching and shooting things—without so much as a single instance of relief? Well, I know I have. So I give you - Nature's Call... a mod about using health and armor bonuses as an offensive advantage!

Okay, well, how does it work?
2a. This mod incorporates two core functions: urinate and defecate. Before urinating, you must consume various blue beverages scattered throughout the map to increase your stream duration. Before defecating, you must consume at least one hamburger (which are also scattered through the map, but appear less often than beverages). To urinate, select your fist, press the "zoom" key to unzip your fly, and then press the fire button for instant relief! To defecate, select your fist, and press the alt fire button! You can only digest 3 hamburgers at a time, so use them wisely. The maximum urine stream duration is 100, but it runs down somewhat fast, so be conservative.
------
2b. Urinating on the enemy tints their sprite yellow, and causes them to flee for approximately four seconds. This state is called, "scared." Flinging excrement on the enemy causes them to undergo a state of extreme shock; they run around screaming in terror (for approximately ten seconds) before collapsing from exhaustion. This state is called, "super scared." Hitting any enemy (aside from the cyber demon and spider mastermind) with excrement will render them harmless before they collapse, while hitting an enemy twice before they collapse will result in instantaneous projectile vomit or death. Urinating repeatedly upon an enemy will also result in projectile vomit/death. However, lower-tier enemies (zombie man, imp, shotgun guy, chain gun guy) only require a single hit from excrement to be instantly dispatched. The cyber demon and spider mastermind are not affected by urine or excrement. Urine can also be utilized to put out flame-based projectiles (this means that missile and energy projectiles are not effected, e.g. cacodemon balls, plasma projectiles, rockets, etc...). You can even put out arch-vile fires; however, there is only about a one second window of opportunity for you to do so - once the fire spreads, there's no stopping it (it is ideal to aim at the base of the fire as it begins to kindle at your feet). As you've probably guessed, although urine deals much less damage than excrement, it is easily more versatile and plentiful. On a final note, any assailants that are killed with either urine or excrement will not be resurrected by arch-viles (aside from low-tier enemies).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom