Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Astral Rag

Arcane
Eh, Chocolate Doom sure provides a more authentic Doom experience but I can't say I massively enjoy playing Doom with a 35 fps cap in [current year]. I'd sooner recommend Crispy Doom to those who want a near-vanilla but less cinematic and slightly less low-res Doom experience.

But each to his own, as long as they don't use full mouselook or some fugly 3D-accelerated Doom source port at least.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

I'm alright with 3D-accelerated ports as long as the wad I'm playing is actually using that port's features and was build from the ground up with them in mind. Something like currently WIP Hocus Pocus TC. And then there are those extreme cases like Lainos' latest monster map, one which only those who are sporting CPUs capable of creating miniature black holes can play in software renderer while achieving acceptable framerate.

Other than that, I tend to stick with software renderer. Overwhelming majority of maps is still built with it in mind, and GL renderers don't even bother with trying to emulate software lightning and dithering meaning that maps simply won't look the way they're meant to.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
GL renderers don't even bother with trying to emulate software lightning and dithering meaning that maps simply won't look the way they're meant to.
Much as I love how pretty some of the GL renderes look, the blatant disregard for even trying to emulate the game's original lighting is the reason I settled for software renderers.

tormund

Arcane
This is alright https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/hexen/a-c/bftsoc
Hexen hub for Zdoom and its derivatives, with Heretic textures and monsters. There is minimal amount of scripting and interconnectedness between maps. There is a central map with two instantly accessible portals, once you collect key item in each map that is accessed through those portals starting map opens up, you collect third key and access the final map. It's basically p much like Heretic in Hexen, and Hexen like hub appearance in only superficial. Maps themselves look like Heretic maps too, not only due to use of Heretic graphics. It's still p well made for what it is and worth playing IMO, and it's not like we are getting loads of new Hexen content...

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played the excellent WIP megawad Good Morning Phobos.

I concur. Playing a 3 players coop in a second half of the wad, even in the alpha state was great. After playing so many of the custom campaigns I'm sure it will be one of those that people will recommend. There is a wide variety of themes, the enemy placement is carefully made and the pacing is excellent. It's harder than vanilla Doom 2 but not so much like many others. The level building is coherent and I've never felt that something was merged together to just fill the whole map. Hats off to the creators.

Astral Rag

Arcane
It's highly prosperian alright but it's a p good "joke wad".

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Yeah, Mayhem Mansion is pretty fun shit. Original version from few years ago was how I first heard of Exploding Lips and MarphitimusBlackimus's treasure trove of a YT channel.

Astral Rag

Arcane
GTA Doom

Screenshot_Doom_20160604_114259.png

Screenshot_Doom_20160605_042710.png

Temp_Img1.png
Screenshot_Doom_20160605_042553.png

Screenshot_Doom_20160605_043613.png

Screenshot_Doom_20160605_045240.png

Screenshot_Doom_20160605_045139.png

Temp_Img2.png

Temp_Img5.png

I've been working on this now for many many months, I think it's about time I show it...as you can tell by the title it is my attempt to recreate at least one map from GTA 1. I've been remaking Liberty City in an updated version. I need some help on this, which I will ask for later.

So, the map...it is as close to Liberty City as possible, with some added stuff, like rooftop access, business from other games as well as ones I made up, more New York spoofed landmarks. I'm aware of GTA games having the original maps as mods, and the original creator of the series has made his own 3d version. But as it is those renditions are rather spartan with just the base map, my idea was to get this original map and update it a bit with the visions I saw it as I wanted it all them years ago.

Changes made from the original include.
- Various rooftop access points, around the map I have attempted to lift the player off the ground for something a little more interesting. As of now most building rooftops can be accessed by bright red ladders.
- A variety of business fronts, both from the GTA series and of my own making.
- Much more building height variation, although all of the buildings (Barr the Island City ones) still have their original floor plan layout.
- A tunnel linking Island City to the Guensey spoof for ease of access.
- More real life landmarks spoofed than in the original, including Cleopatra's Needle, Trump Tower, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Some Hotels, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building.
- The Red Light district is more prominent, it occupies the same place as the original but I made it more like a district. The area is marked with a red pavement.
- Made a town-hall/courthouse.
- Omitted a really small island that was originally a secret island, I may remake this but I neglected too as I wanted the bulk of the city done first.
- Added in roads at the map limits "Leading Out" to a larger city area, to give am immersive feel that the city is part of a world and not just a closed circuit. These are blocked off and marked with police tape.
- Much more neon around the buildings, a bit surreal but hey, video games. One such example is a made up area I call Restaurant Alley in Guernsey, lined with neon eating places.
- Some minor texture changes to the buildings and whatnot, as they were originally drawn with a top down view in mind, they often didn't have any bottom graphics on them. I have also made other efforts to make them a bit less visually jarring.

There may be other things but those ones differ the most.

Some stuff yet to do.
- Add in traffic lights.
- Possibly add in some interiors.
- Cars and pedestrians.
- Recreate the GTA 1 weapons.
- Make original GTA 1 character selection.
- Maybe add in gamemodes other than deathmatch. So far the version I have up is just exploratory, no combat as of yet.
- A couple more buildings need businesses in, but it is mostly done over all.
- Working trains, like Duke Theft Auto had.
- Radio stations for the cars, can go without if needs be.

O.K so the help I need....game modes. So far all this is, is just a map. I need help to make it something more. Sort of like Duke Theft Auto, I want cars and pedestrians there. I also want police to chase you (No idea if this is possible). Need sprite art to recreate the original GTA main characters for a deathmatch mode. And possibly some sort of turf war mode...Liberty City survivor, but with gangs instead. Not going to attempt to recreate the single player, just want a map with multiplayer modes. Although redone GTA 1 would be cool.

There is also one weird problem with Zandronum, a memory leak happens when trying to use it. But it works perfectly well with GZDoom.

Download it from here.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2wr9u6u3rtowh7s/GTA+Doom+-+By+Xegethra.rar

In order to play, you just load it up in GZDoom and to play as my test characters, place them in the skins folder...they are to scale after all.

:shredder:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Now that this Stygian game looks quite awesome and faithful to Lovecraft's stories, it's time to review Doom's take on this issue. Namely: remember that Strange Aeons WAD? The new 5.3 version is the last and definitive one, including a new episode, new enemies and Cthulhu itself, of course.

Riskbreaker

Played the first two episodes of that one back when he first released them, think I even mentioned it in this thread. Pretty enjoyable and moody conversion, kinda reminded me of conversions from 90s.
Will have to check out the whole package at some point.

tormund

Arcane
That crazy GZDoom TC that attempts to create classic singleplayer campaign for Q3 is still in the works

Visuals and scripting are still impressive as fuck, but I can't say that I'm a fan of how that arcadey section with lasers appears. Looks like the kind of thing you want to conveniently noclip away from until it's done... That Souls death message isn't helping either.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
New Crispy Doom version, now updated to 3.4!

This is mainly a bugfix release but there are also a few improvements. Nothing major but as usual it makes Doom feel a bit better while keeping vanilla compatibility. One of my favourite bits of this version is the sounds now playing their full lenght: it makes a difference for rockets and plasma shots.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Played the excellent WIP megawad Good Morning Phobos.

I concur. Playing a 3 players coop in a second half of the wad, even in the alpha state was great. After playing so many of the custom campaigns I'm sure it will be one of those that people will recommend. There is a wide variety of themes, the enemy placement is carefully made and the pacing is excellent. It's harder than vanilla Doom 2 but not so much like many others. The level building is coherent and I've never felt that something was merged together to just fill the whole map. Hats off to the creators.

I had a go at this as well. I am VERY impressed.

The only downer moment I can remember from the whole .wad was MAP29. It's a long and gruesome map that tries to go for too many cheap shots...but then again, the same argument can be said about the whole .wad. What GMP does differentely from almost every other .wad is that it releases monsters much closer to the player than before, and in quite some clever ways as well. Call down an elevator and you won't hear the wall come down right behind you with the Revenants. Grab a keycard and monsters start teleporting in almost right beside you, or to outright prevent your escape. But MAP29's worst moment is that the unwelcome torch/platform puzzle from Final Doom rears its ugly head - fortunately modern-day Doom ports just reveal the safe platforms instead of forcing you to look at a bunch of torches. And in the tradition of GMP, there's a nasty surprise waiting when it's time to head back...

But despite the above it's an absolute blast to play. Getting used to the tighter gameplay takes no time, especially since the early levels feel like they escalate too slowly - I was drowning in ammo by about MAP08, but by MAP29 I was encountering severe shortages. Another thing GMP does brilliantly is that it never completely abandons the weaker monsters on the later levels - the last wave of monsters on MAP29 is a 100-man Zombie attack as a last-ditch effort to impede your progress. The bigger monsters are used sparingly and wisely - Arch-Viles aren't usually introduced into the fray until rooms are filled with corpses, for example. Because of this same reason, this .wad is almost PERFECT to play with Brutal Doom.

I look forward to the final release, this is one of the good 'uns!

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Now here's an interesting .wad I tried for the hell of it: Doom 2 Reloaded.

I wasn't expecting much, but what I saw did impress me...right up until The Moment. You see, this .wad has a string attached (at least one, anyway). One of the levels (MAP09) requires that you play through the level without firing a single shot...because if you do, a teleport spawn will be unleashed that counts a metric fuckton of enemies, including multiple Arch-Viles, and there's nothing you can do about it except clench your ass-cheeks and pray. You don't have the firing positions nor the ammo to take it out the normal way, I tried. But if you DO manage to do the level stealthily, you'll manage to set things up so that a crusher will activate right on top of the spawnpoints for that massive spawn, ridding you of all those pesky demons before they can murder you.

The problem is...the game does jack shit to tell you MAP09 is different from the others, and the readme doesn't do much of a better job: "A couple of maps MAP09 and MAP18 have slightly different gameplay than normal." If you keep on reading, you may catch this for the level-by-level description for MAP09: "A terminal informs you that another invasion is imminent but you can subvert the portal to the crusher. Alas the reactor has been flooded so you will have to drain it in order to restore power."

...that's it, that's all the warning the .wad gives you. The level otherwise plays like a somewhat sped-up Thief Fan Mission: You can only use your fists to kill targets, and the odds are against you. Have fun.

Keep in mind, the recommendation I saw for this .wad specifically mentioned this level, but even that could not prepare me for the shitfest you'll unleash if you go in guns blazing. Playing this in Brutal Doom helps a little, but only as long as you get the Deamon Strength power-up soon enough.

Rating: Play At Your Own Risk

tormund

Arcane
Not to sound sour on anything, but it is annoying that mods like that get infinitively more attention from outside of Doom community while so much of quality and impressive content that had much more work put into it gets ignored...

Reminds me of how something like this is thought to be worthy of bunch of articles http://archive.is/oqDs3 unlike you know, all those crappy megawads, total conversions and gameplay mods... "XD DOOM MODS ARE LIKE SO FUNNEH AND WEIRD XD"

Astral Rag

Arcane
I'm trying rf 1024 ATM. This is one of those lightning fast, non-stop action 1024 units affairs and so far it's been really good. The megawad has tastefully tweaked monsters and weapons, the shotgun and machine gun are brilliant but I'm not sold on the new SSG yet. Level design is solid and varied but often a bit claustrophobic, of course that's to be expected in this case.

If you like wads like Zone 300 you'll probably enjoy this one too.

Here is the dl link in case you want to avoid spoilers: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/rf_1024.wad

That machinegun sound and that Decent soundtrack :love:

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
And that’s where Cacodemons come from!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom