Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Riskbreaker

That looks creative alright. Unfortunately, I just cannot enjoy that kind of gimmicky difficult gameplay. Speaking of Ribbiks, I ain't touching that Stardate sequel anytime soon either, since the first one had its violent way with my poor self on UV.

Also, skacky , prepare yeself for some triggering shit!
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/bruta...pment-first-early-alpha-screenshots-revealed/
Oh, and this one is being made by great diva himself!

Last edited by a moderator:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Yeah Italo Doom is really a joke wad, it's so over the top and absurdly hard it's ridiculous. I mean the first map has you spawning right in front of a Cyberdemon and three Archviles... plus the whole room is filled with Pinkies and Hell Knights. :lol:
WRT Brutal Doom 64: Sigh.

tormund

Arcane
Doom 64 is probably single least appropriate Doom related game for Brootal treatment... Watch him "improve" the soundtrack too.:lol:

On the other hand this might give some much needed attention to Doom 64 EX and make more people play it (and who knows, some of them might end up playing it WITHOUT BD after that).

tormund

Arcane
Some new Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony screenshots
TBC7vMs.jpg

0UBk6q7.jpg

B4jhb4n.png

rJU0AeC.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So, has anyone played The Lost Episodes of Doom? Does anyone own or has seen the book? Are the levels fun? Is the book any good?

More importantly, does anyone have the book and is willing to scan it? :M

Riskbreaker

I played thru the first episode some time ago, and I had no wish to play thru other ones after that. 'Twas more playable and consistent than a decent chunk of other '94 releases I tried, but other that that it was pretty bland and, indeed, boring. There was nothing particularly noteworthy or memorable about its maps.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just played A Fistful of Doom, a Western TC for Doom 2.
Only two levels, but good fun, and quite impressive for such an old WAD (1995).
Reminded me of when I was about 10 and we visited Disneyworld. and my brother and I had to be dragged screaming from the arcade where we played a gunfight game using gun shaped controlers.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah Italo Doom is really a joke wad, it's so over the top and absurdly hard it's ridiculous. I mean the first map has you spawning right in front of a Cyberdemon and three Archviles... plus the whole room is filled with Pinkies and Hell Knights. :lol:

Sounds like it could be a total blast with the Aeons of Death mod.

Riskbreaker

Sounds like it could be a total blast with the Aeons of Death mod.
Russian Overkill is the only mod you'll ever need when dealing with that particular strain of wads.:smug:

Also, holy shite at that Hunter's Moon TC!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I finally finished Hell to Pay. It was okay, not as bad as I feared and even with some good moments, but there were also some dubious aspects to it. As expected, the 3D renders that replace some of the monsters are really crappy, with the exception of the Pain Elemental and Lost Soul that look cool but slightly out of place in a Doom WAD. The weapon replacements also look bad: the rocket launcher looks like some kind of toy, and the Plasma Gun and BFG use the same silly pitchfork look, each with a different colour. The replaced sound effects make the robotic look of the replaced enemies consistant but they are annoying, and worse: since those are shared by other enemies, you’ll hear the Hell Knights and Baron use the same sounds instead of their usual grunts. Meh.

The levels tend to be good, with some nice encounters and some cool ideas like the giant skulls in Hell or the outside of the spaceship. On the other hand, most of the levels look bad and the new textures are rather garish, which is a shame because they really got some nifty ideas here and there that still manage to look good despite the ugly textures. I liked the view of Hell from the shuttle, something I didn’t expect to find in a Doom game from that era. The music was pretty good, but it’s the same that can be found in Perdition’s Gate.

I found Perdition’s Gate better and more enjoyable as a whole, and also better-looking aside from a few false notes here and there. Hell to Pay is still a nice WAD, and I appreciated the story tidbits between levels, which were a bit more effective than with Perdition’s Gate, though none of it was earth-shattering. A fun little romp, but I don’t see myself every replaying unlike Perdition’s Gate.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I finished Base Ganymede : https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/megawads/bgcomp

P.Good megawad for the original Doom. Uses original assets, nothing fancy, but good architecture overall with mid-sized maps. It's somewhere between classic doom play and final doom expansions with a couple of moderate slaughterfests. A few cheap warps bugged me, but you can usually predict the ambushes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finished Mordeth (Episode 1), which is a partial conversion heavily influenced by Hexen, from which the new enemies are taken. The flying Imp looked very nice with a green reskin, and the Swamp Dragon was very tough (somewhere between Revenants and Cyber Demons).

Very nice looking maps, with more emphasis on exploring and finding secrets (which involve some jumping puzzles), than on combat. Your arsenal is also very limited in this episode, having to rely on regular shotgun most of the game.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/85756-found-doom-sky-source-files/

Here is some additional info and pictures that I've found.

By imx-doomer:

Remember Blackmantis, the incredible Doom fan who was (and still is) hunting the source for each one of the game assets and found out about the toy used for the BFG? Well, it turns out he found the source for some of the skies used in DOOM and Doom 2: Hell on Earth.

As some of you may know, Episode 1, Knee-Deep in the Dead, uses a gray sky with mountains, a sky that has become iconic in retro gaming culture, partially because, as many other assets found in DOOM, it was sourced from a real picture taken in Yangshuo, a beautiful city in China with some gorgeous mountains. Said picture was included in a CD called “Media Clips”, released by Aris Entertainment around 1992 (that would explain why it was used in DOOM, since the game was released in late 93). The exact picture in question was taken by Tom Atwood, in Yangshuo Cavern, near Guilin, China

tumblr_inline_o1snn6ISvU1s4w1av_500.jpg

Of course, almost every DOOM fan knows about this, so the reason why I’m doing this post is because the fun doesn’t stop here. Blackmantis found out about this sky right here. When you see it…

tumblr_inline_o1snn7O9JK1s4w1av_500.png

You don’t? Okay, let me help you a little bit.

tumblr_inline_o1snn7Hzac1s4w1av_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o1snn7Sd6A1s4w1av_400.jpg

Isn’t that…yes, the Doom 2 sky was sourced from this picture! It seems that they took a fragment of this picture and they made it tile horizontally, to avoid making it look ugly in-game. Trust me, a sky texture that doesn’t tile is not always a good thing to look at in Doom.

Now let’s take a look at this picture from the Columbia shuttle taking off.

tumblr_inline_o1snn7vDWN1s4w1av_500.png

Nothing? Well, here it goes.

tumblr_inline_o1snn8yXqM1s4w1av_500.jpg

Okay, so this part right here is interesting. Doom 2’s city sky is a combination of this picture, and the unused Doom 2 art made by Julie Bell, part of the destroyed buildings, to be more specific.

tumblr_inline_o1snn8izr21s4w1av_500.jpg

All of this was posted in this Doomworld thread right here. Another Doomworld user called Jaws In Space discovered that the canyons in the sky graphic used for Episode 3: Inferno were sourced from a picture taken inside the Carlsbad Cavern, located in New Mexico. Naturally a fragment of that picture was cropped and edited to match the hellish tone.

tumblr_inline_o1snn8jL8T1s4w1av_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o1snn9alz61s4w1av_500.png

tumblr_inline_o1snn9mjEm1s4w1av_400.png

At the same time, Blackmantis found the picture used for the background in the Hell sky, which is…

tumblr_inline_o1snn90lYh1s4w1av_500.png

This one! If you don’t see it, then here’s the hellish sky texture overlapped with the picture itself.

tumblr_inline_o1snnaBmWK1s4w1av_500.png

Now you might wonder, is there a place where I can download that CD with all those old pics?The answer is yes, and it actually has been uploaded in The Internet Archive inside their Shareware CD collection! You can grab a special edition of the MediaClip set right here! (220MB)

Riskbreaker

Finished Mordeth (Episode 1), which is a partial conversion heavily influenced by Hexen, from which the new enemies are taken. The flying Imp looked very nice with a green reskin, and the Swamp Dragon was very tough (somewhere between Revenants and Cyber Demons).

Very nice looking maps, with more emphasis on exploring and finding secrets (which involve some jumping puzzles), than on combat. Your arsenal is also very limited in this episode, having to rely on regular shotgun most of the game.
Yeah, Mordeth is gud shit. It became something of an in-joke within Doom community, but it's definitely worth playing. Also, some of those tricks he managed to pull out within engine's limitations, like say pretty convincing illusion of 3D geometry at few points, were pretty damn impressive.

You might wanna check out the second episode of Demon Eclipse:
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons/demon-eclipse-hell-forge-edition-beta-08
'Tis pretty close to Mordeth: Hexen-ish fantasy theme, large exploration-driven maps. I'd like to think that it's a pretty nice taste of how some unreleased continuation of Mordeth might have looked like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've heard a lot of e1m1 covers, and none really seemed to have that rich guitar sound, nice bass and overal quality, but I remembered having fav'd one on youtube that did, and I just went back and grabbed it:

Sorry I got no levels for y'all though.

The guy also did this cover of e2m2:

From the name he seems like a fellow dutch bro. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom