Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Astral Rag

Arcane
Hmm, I'm not sure why that happens, I've played many wads with the Violence Weapons and never ran into any problems. I just tried some other weapons mod and it didn't play nice with Saturn X's visuals either.

It's_a_mystery.png

Divinity: Original Sin
Have you tried loading your weapon/sprite WADs before the episode WAD?

There's better results, but the muzzle flash in weapon still bugged in smooth doom.

Hmm, I'm not sure why that happens, I've played many wads with the Violence Weapons and never ran into any problems. I just tried some other weapons mod and it didn't play nice with Saturn X's visuals either.

It's_a_mystery.png

I guess saturn X has it's own visuals which makes it incompatible. Its sprites have other color palette.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Its sprites have other color palette.
Indeed

FWIW this shotgun replacement seems to work fine with X.

2F64BDE46212F4671A8471854FD3448A4FAFAEAD

FuYktz7.png

edit:

The aptly named Weapons of Saturn weapon set works fine with X too but this mod also alters the weapons properties and it introduces a reloading mechanic to the game. This won't work with Zandronum but I see you're using GZDoom and mouselook :negative: (it works great with ZDoom too)

Sadly the Random Deaths mod caused some visual weirdness so I had to leave that one out of the mix.

00C047C9F3A2FCDDBBF8912451A6C14F905D5986

custom status bar

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Phobos Massacre turned out to be another quality EP1 re-interpretation. It's more difficult than the original Knee-Deep in the Dead but still a little on the easy side, especially in co-op but that's to be expected. Apparently PM got its own remastering in 2015 with Oblivion.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
I tried weapons of saturn, its just like brutal doom, with reloading and (badly implemented) ironsights.

Anyway, I'll try beautiful doom and smooth doom loading them before saturn, using the vanilla weapons.

tormund

Arcane
It's somewhat ironic to see Guardian article mentioning how Doom has been demonised by moral campaigners back in 90s (even more since the one of "related articles" at the bottom of the page is one of their writers whining about too much blood and sexualized female character on one of the MGS V promo posters :lol:).

That article itself is p good btw, believe it or not.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Considering that it's a replacement for the original final level of the episode, the brutality is fitting, though I'm sure Romero took the skill of modern Doom players into account.

I don't mind the teleporting monsters much to be honest; they are announced by a teleport sound and they mostly keep you on your guard instead of killing you right away if you didn't know what to expect.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After dinner, and with renewed strength, I completed this bitching good level.
Definitely more chaotic and fast paced than the original Doom. Monsters teleporting in from several directions before the final fight against the Barons was fun.

Riskbreaker

Apparently PM got its own remastering in 2015 with Oblivion.
'Tis gud alright. Harder, and with enough changes to teh visuals and layouts, so I doubt that it'll tire ya even if ya decide to play it soon after finishing PM.

tormund

Arcane
That model definitely looks more menacing than his in game version.

There are some other cool things on his twitter, like this early concept for Revenant that looks more like a skeletal UAC marine:
CYytp3cUoAEDNpo.jpg:large

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

So, looks like Fen is doing a LP of Enjay's ol Thief-themed Heretic map.

Kinda impressive really, how much effort Enjay sometimes puts into maps like that one. Last year he released this huge GZdoom map that basically looked and played like a SiN map (together with usable PCs and stuff).

Last edited by a moderator:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks excessively retarded. I'm sure it will become the de facto way to play "Wolfenstein" for many modern gamers.

tormund

Arcane
That look suspiciously similar to WildWeasel's NAZIS gameplay mod for Doom, only with way more gore and stupidity. I would't be surprised if he used it as a base without asking for permission or crediting original sources, since that would fit with the established tradition of Brootal mods...

Astral Rag

Arcane
I'm currently listening to the remastered PSX OST while playing estrangd.wad and oh god it's heaven. Total playtime of the album is over five and a half hours, gotta love those extended tracks

20097C35AE9ACF892B080CA7F0BAFC4BF5D34292
5BCB1F433C790299B137EC9C50E6543A58CAB3CA

76CE16F1CD43AFA587CA5E1A55CE619C8B523B2A

0C950CF04E880FBF5399BF194FC344537E5EC659

A28C6F5BBC5E0948CF91E5FB838C2A81F4287A48

78E5B41357710B7D466496927601B52844EF05C7

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Dunno if you guys have played the recently-released Italo-Doom by Ribbiks and Dannebubinga, but it has a few gems in it. See for yourself.

:lol: :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom