Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Astral Rag

Arcane
Some new Quake maps would be cool too...

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TBH, he really overdid it with damaging floors.

At first I thought that maybe some shotgun guys were shooting at me, but found quickly what was the reason for the constant health drop. The telport fest in the beginning can be a tough nail to crack, but later on the difficulty is steady and balanced. Romero has still his mojo, he just needs to make more levels and it will come back to him. I wish he could do a new Doom episode :bounce:.

tormund

Arcane
^True. Maybe he didn't try to map for Doom during the last two decades, but he kept playing it on regular basis and it shows.
Here's hoping that we're really going to get full new episode from him...

tormund

Arcane
Well, their titlepic looks more :manly samurai: japanese than :kawaii-desuuuu" japanese.
q1Jt7gK.png

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Been recently replaying both Back To Saturn X episodes. The production values on these is insane, and the level design is like Doom 1 on steroids on E1. E2 looks like it's inspired by Doom 64 in terms of style and architecture. I could listen to this track all day long.

Divinity: Original Sin
Been recently replaying both Back To Saturn X episodes. The production values on these is insane, and the level design is like Doom 1 on steroids on E1. E2 looks like it's inspired by Doom 64 in terms of style and architecture. I could listen to this track all day long.

After using beautiful doom, I'm spoiled. I can't use it with this mod because the sprites get glitchy, with a low color degradation. Brutal doom is too exaggerated and change the gameplay a lot, though it's compatible. Is there a mod that works with this? I just want some variety in animations, nothing too fancy. guess I'll have to reeducate myself into vanilla.

Anyway, a few pages ago I asked about suggestions.. and oh hell, why? I'm now stuck in playing doom and only doom. I can't play anything else. At work I wonder when i'll be playing it again... I didn't remember it was so addictive.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I finished Perdition's Gate and it turned out to be jolly good fun. Interestingly, some maps are rather short and feature a very limited number of monsters, but since I tend to prefer smaller numbers of baddies, that's not a bad thing.

I hope Hell to Pay will be just as good, though I already dread those awful sprite replacements.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I've just played some maps of a new release called Bloodstain. This megawad was really good so far.

08B5CA60F5EF6F491E7F07AF10EB281ADA3029EA

Good challenge but no slaughter BS
Beautiful, well detailed maps, nice new textures
No flow murdering switch hunts or huge mazes
Some new enemy types, don't use the Random Deaths mod because it doesn't play nice with the Z-Secs
Good custom OST

edit:
10EA556BC6B36D86511A6D5AF323CBA743D7AB87

58644C48D4F6C01883349A7F99FCAB3F01B42B0E

A8D31EEB7D512C7B1711D14CCF5C9B11C3FDD613

84CA689793F2FF6C84E354306410CC6990B4B276

7413C77EDCE90A7B22003153F815FE4EF932066D

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I finished Perdition's Gate and it turned out to be jolly good fun. Interestingly, some maps are rather short and feature a very limited number of monsters, but since I tend to prefer smaller numbers of baddies, that's not a bad thing.

I thought Perdition was a bit poor for a commercial game (but overall better than Master Levels), and compared to free MegaWADs like Memento Mori 1+2.I

I hope Hell to Pay will be just as good, though I already dread those awful sprite replacements.

They are of variable quality. The only truly bad one I saw (I only got halfway before Doomsday glitched out) was the replacement for the Mancubus. I'm not sure what they were supposed to be, and they looked the same from all angles.
The replacement for the "flame farts" (as my gaming buddy back in the days used to call the Lost Souls) was quite clever and looked like drops of liquid metal.
Also Hell to Pay is the only MegaWAD I've played so far with a sense of story and continuity, instead of just a bunch of maps in semi-random order. The quality of the maps are also variable.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
This thing is insane. I ended up nocliping around it just to get a sense of the size and scenery... map is so huge that it could have been used for some sort of open world conversion, and at the same time level of detail is insane.
On the other hand I cant see myself ever playing it to the end, and I doubt that many players will finish it either.

Astral Rag
I heard that there is a major increase in difficulty latter on and that some maps go into slaughter land, so be prepared for that. I am yet to play it myself.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Here's a playthrough of Romero's map for anyone interested in seeing if he's still got the touch:

Haven't played it yet, but this looks to be very promising indeed... interested to see what comes after the 'warm up'.

Pretty cool map, common Romero, just dial down on the crazy, you still can do it, the mojo is still flowing. Pray for the hair gods for redemption and release more maps please. Maybe a small project of an indie PC shooter to release on the same day as Doom 4 to show those amateurs that they know nothing, power on the hair bro.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've just played some maps of a new release called Bloodstain. This megawad was really good so far.

I've played it alone thinking that it would be too easy for both of us to play. Turns out that the last 10 levels are having way higher difficulty and nastier monster traps. Great ideas all over when it comes to experimenting with different themes and engine.

MFEB78i.png

On9PAce.png

And it gets better right after this. Honestly, I couldn't stomach the ending levels and just skipped it.

Talking about coming out of nowhere. After playing 9 maps I'm really impressed by the design of them. They are really distinctive, most of them have a lot of secrets to find and the number of monsters is moderate so it's perfect for single player game. Loved the reimaging of Tricks and Traps map. Hopefully it will stay that way.

QC7PuHR.png

TL,DR this .wad so far is :

Uo2oZjM.png

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I thought Perdition was a bit poor for a commercial game (but overall better than Master Levels), and compared to free MegaWADs like Memento Mori 1+2.I

Some levels are a bit underwhelming, especially near the beginning, but there are some genuinely cool maps. I found it somewhat equal to TNT: Evilution as far as general qualify goes. I have yet to play many free WADs of the time but I believe you that there is better to be had . Still, it's a very nice set of levels and definitely worth a shot despite its reputation (mainly the rumour that it's unlicensed despite being perfectly legal).

tormund

Arcane
If I had to guess, I'd say that its reputation has more to do with people seeing that it was distributed by WizardWorks and shelving it in the same category with their other showelware releases for id shooters.
But, you can easily find praise for it by respected Doomworld users, and the guy that runs currently most active wad review blog gave it a glowing review few years ago.

Speaking about him, he also did some interesting research about its background: http://onemandoom.blogspot.ba/2011/06/perditions-gate-research.html

"two Wraith Corp. Doom II commercial MegaWADs have far more in common with the similarly commercial (but overseen by id) TNT Evilution than I originally thought, and that's even knowing that Tom Mustaine started Perdition's Gate with the intent of selling it to id as part of Final Doom. If there are alternate universes, perhaps one has some commercial Final Doom trilogy."

Divinity: Original Sin
I'm surprised that there isn't a purely cosmetic D64 weapon replacement floating around already TBH,

Yeah, I thought it would be very easy to find such a mod but my google-fu is letting me down today.

I've just created a "Violencewadweapons.wad" (testing now) and I'll also create a "Doom64weaponsforDoom.wad" if one doesn't turn up in the near future.

Well, skacky posted in the screenshots thread a wad with doom64 weapons and to my disappointment it's linked to smooth doom. I want to play saturn X with some weapon mod, but smooth doom fucks the sprites. The violence weapons wad you did also has green-blooded cacodemons in it, and the sprites are fucked up in Saturn Ex.

tormund

Arcane
^Can you post some screenshots that show in what way are the sprites fucked up? I never tried BTSX with Smooth Doom in particular, but both episodes should be compatible with ANY gameplay mod.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Have you tried loading your weapon/sprite WADs before the episode WAD?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom