Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Riskbreaker

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/brfinal
This humorous partial conversion is a real bizarre mish-mash of gameplay and visual styles. At times it can be really fun and/or great looking, at others it is annoying, frustrating mess. There are 16 maps in total, they are divided into these mini-segments (mostly 3 maps each) that follow similar visual theme and have similar gameplay. First three maps are in this emerald green style, sort of like bizzaro Speed of Doom sprinkled with buncha pictures of internet "celebs", random videogame characters and whatnot (unfortunately, this will go on for the rest of the package). Then you have three levels based around crates, and so on... Some of these use some unique tricks. For example, final "episode" is done in nice looking monochrome style. In the first two maps of said episode you have find switches that transform monsters from related areas from monochrome to color, thus bringing them to life.
There is a crapload of new monsters around, some of them serve as full replacement of their base game counterpoints. Some of them are based on originals, like baby pinkies, giant imps (which are posses'd of a ridiculously OP AOE attack that makes cyber's attack look like shit in comparison), or so called random monster that basically switches between various base monsters with their respective attacks and abilities, while others are completely new or taken from other games.
Other new elements include traps and floating platforms from RoTT, so expect some (sometimes annoying) obstacle and platforming sections.

Screenshots!

E17DB5BF7D7F2892BA6DB19962CA28A550E25B2C

9B2C1DCD3C79D36930F61008E73537DEA11F7FD8

Curiously, removal of their heads did nothing to improve their intelligence and aiming.

962DFA98A00897E212F98354458289CE8202E1A1

And this is where their heads ended up: Behold the Living Shish-Kebab! These bastards are extremely fast, have erratic movement patterns, shot plasma all around em, can slow ya down, and can revive their fallen comrades. Also, they explode when killed! This particular kebab ain't too keen on being removed from anywhere, no sir.
2CEE6DCDD92A34736698D5E9749369A23B9BDC5B

Floating crates, they serve as a cacodemon replacement of sorts. Sworn to take revenge on their human oppressors, these flying cubical killing machines are blessed with both the projectile attacks and a chaingun.
5C315F73CE7CC6EB80E7E0C758A4CAE377B425F4

Awwww.:love:
They still make that satisfying squishy sound when ya beat them to death tho.

FE7223196DA4766069F0C9C0591200628EE353C7

69E85A089B4A9F46B4359F8F98A52BD398DD26E8

5BAD5E87D1035A56C852A9CDA7A10A764811BF61

A690F3CFB864DF4B7BC59B0472938D96F09C95D2

E4921714D5B005816EF0C86576439048525F8925

This was easily my favorite map, as far as visuals go. Sadly, following two maps were done in rather different styles. This one contained some annoying sections tho, like say labyrinth with pulsing light and obscured automap, that was also populated with walking barrels (something of a local kamikaze enemy, forgot to mention them before). Also, this map marks the first appearance of aforementioned giant imps.
1E6EFF242CA28F09E73D8D9C90D3AA0CCA6573C7

E0B7745A75FA3E7678DE5688BCBD02456FE3DF4A

6D74D33641186E0F53A6DF2070EC360D4A1A40CC

Plasma elementals, they serve as a simple replacement for the flesh elemental. Instead of producing obscene amounts of annoying offspring, these specimens merely shoot plasma at player.
340FD3BBBDCA728709144BB74F3C0E54F49EEE39

E53BC32D3EB3592EB99CEAD6F24962A05AC0F916

Final map: insides of this tower are designed as some sort of night club, straight outta some 94-95 wad. You'll fight few waves of baddies, once done you'll be transported back to the opening map (this time with all the weapons and ammo you had at the end)
Worth checking out, at the very least. Just don't expect a smooth ride, and be prepared for some genuinely frustrating parts and some internet cheesiness.

Something saner and far smaller:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/0-9/5years
3-map mini episode from Shadowman. Maps 1 and 3 are really small affairs, while map 2 is of medium size. Standardly great detailing and ambiance, kinda reminiscent of maps from his Hellfire series. Simple and enjoyable gameplay, with few bumps (like imps spawning right in front of ya in map 2, or chaingunner placement in map 3). Worth a try.
1ADFCA31D0E9CD912783D9A1008551733A21A655

DFEEB88C5DA6D40C4B1D6D78464CE03CE0873486

2A103FC4C21E8AEA825B0917673C41B305F4F378

AF84E1FBF90AB6FAC1E7FF6345D73A50BA504BA6

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I dropped my Twilight Zone 2 + DoomRPG playthrough.
I didn't liked some settings in the latest (better start with higher rank and there is not much stuff to spend money on) and sometimes maps feels uninspired and creator put sort of fillers and placeholders.
Even some mediocore map packs for original Dooms (forgot if that was TNT, Plutonia or else) were better.
Which is pitiful because I started collecting decent guns (like that minigun from AvP2).
DoomRPG have potential but default settings are meh and you need time for tests to get the right one.

MU45ZXe.jpg

KQqAzVV.jpg

VV18S68.jpg

YTpybwU.jpg

Oh, and there is secret level. Easy - just go through the other teleporter on the opposite side of EXIT.
Congratulation, you found secret level. Now it takes double effort to find the way out
RtLjAFx.jpg

No, fuck you

EDIT
Thanks for showing me that channel with WADs, some nice Hexen mods here.
Will definitely try them.

Speaking about WADs for other games - I tried to run that Doom2 mod for DN3D and it can't start.
I use GOG version.
Even running Duke Plus was troublesome.
I need to learn how to run this thing.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Haunted Nukem is great shit.:salute: Played thru it last month, great mini episode. Loved the penultimate map in particular, large one with sort of western ghost town theme.
Shame that episode wasn't longer tho, I do hope he'll make more maps in similar vein.

Last edited by a moderator:

tormund

Arcane
I haven't watched that video, but since it's from IGN you should be happy it's not MW1 or Bioshock Infinite they tried to present as natural successors of Doom...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, Beautiful Doom was that mod I was looking, when my short contact with Brutal Doom ended with mehtasy.
Then asked for some mods that improve gameplay. Bingo.
Anyone interested with this can also try Project Brutality, one of very few cases when shit turned into gold (or silver).
More options, more tactical options, more monsters variety (they also have new moves, like imps crawling on the ceiling) and else.

PS. I wanted to thanks for reminding me about Hell Revisited, it's p.good.
I tweakes DoomRPG and got better loot and now it's way better experience.

tormund

Arcane
Beautiful Doom is ALIVE!
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/72811-beautiful-doom-is-back-6-0-1/
Version 6.0 is out and ready for mass consumption.

Man, I almost forgot that he was back and working on a brand new version. Been using Cosmetic Doom every now and then, which is for the most part based on the previous Beautiful Doom releases.
At least few months too late for certain someone to "borrow" scripts and sprites for his own mod.:lol:

However...

HD weapon pickup sprites and hi-res main item sprites
:killit:
I expected better from him.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I finally finished Plutonia. TNT has its ups and downs but I can’t think of a single Plutonia level I disliked. The whole adventure was enjoyable from start to end and I liked the small scale of most levels with low monsters and secrets counts in general, and unlike TNT you feel the presence of every monster in Plutonia. It certainly deserves its reputation.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I expected better from him.

I've tested new version of Beautiful Doom and it's still great. It's more of an upgrade, and the gameplay is still more balanced even when it comes to the big group of enemies. Unlike Brutal Doom the gore isn't killing easily the framerate, and it's more toned down. But as you noticed there are new sprites. Which aren't bad per se, but they are made in higher resolutions so you can feel the diffrence right at the beginning of playing with this addon. It reminds me some of that content created by russian community in general.

Sothpaw

Learned
I finally finished Plutonia. TNT has its ups and downs but I can’t think of a single Plutonia level I disliked. The whole adventure was enjoyable from start to end and I liked the small scale of most levels with low monsters and secrets counts in general, and unlike TNT you feel the presence of every monster in Plutonia. It certainly deserves its reputation.

I finished TNT for the first time last night (new to the classic fps scene). It was decent but certain maps were a bit much (fuck you Mount Pain). Playing through Blood now then I'm going to finish Final Doom with Plutonia. Everything I read says Plutonia is amazing. Digging Blood so far but man it is way more difficult than Doom thanks to hitscanners. Also the dynamite takes a bit of finesse, but that's a good thing as it's pretty powerful.

Edit: OK I "get" Blood now. Game is really good.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
Sothpaw
You should at least try Marathon games too, since you are getting into classic FPSs. I can't guarantee that they will "click" with you, depending on whether you can stomach their level design, or will the story & setting do anything for you.
They are available for free, so you won't lose anything if you end up not liking them. And if you do happen to like them, they have a strong modding scene and lots of good custom scenarios.

Sothpaw

Learned
Sothpaw
You should at least try Marathon games too, since you are getting into classic FPSs. I can't guarantee that they will "click" with you, depending on whether you can stomach their level design, or will the story & setting do anything for you.
They are available for free, so you won't lose anything if you end up not liking them. And if you do happen to like them, they have a strong modding scene and lots of good custom scenarios.

Thanks for the recommendation :salute:

I got into classic fps games because I randomly looked up a review for Quake 4 on youtube. I found this guy Gggmanlive's channel and liked his review style. So I watched all his videos and he really turned me onto classic fps games. Since then I have played Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, No Rest For the Living, System Shock Enhanced Edition, Dark Forces, Heretic and SOTSR, Hexen and DKOTDC, Master Levels for Doom II and TNT Evilution. He hasn't done a review of Marathon yet so that wasn't on my radar.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Marathon is ok but Doom made/ makes it look like a joke. A good friend of mine had a Mac and he was very excited to show me this new FPS so I went over to check it out. I could see why he liked it but I couldn't get into the game because DOOM.

Check out Aleph One if you want to play the series.

Also, don't forget to try:

Wolfenstein + SoD (use ECWolf)
Macenstein
RoTT (WinRott) and maybe Blake Stone 1 and 2
Dark Forces (DosBox or DarkXL) and the other good SW FPS.
Terminator Future Shock and Skynet
The good Build games, namely DN3D (use EDuke32), Blood and maybe Shadow Warrior
Quake (Quakespasm)
Hexen 2
Outlaws (see our Unofficial patches for PC games thread)
Quake 2
Kingpin
Delta Force
Unreal, the expansion pack was forgettable (use Kentie's DX10 renderer for Unreal and UT)
UT and Q3, both games can still be played online but they also have great bots that will kick your ass for years to come.
Aliens versus Predator (1999)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
No One Lives Forever 1 and 2
FEAR

Last edited:

Sothpaw

Learned
Thanks for the recommendations. Played a few on that list already. Here are my thoughts.

Dark Forces: Played through DosBox because I read that the game couldn't be completed with DarkXL. For sure my least favorite of the classic games I have played so far. The level design is just too convoluted for my taste. Watched walkthrough videos to help me get through some levels.

UT and Q3: I was a freshman in college in 1999 and me and the other nerds in my dorm played the fuck out of both games over LAN.

Aliens versus Predator: Completed when it was re-released on Steam a few years ago. Solid game.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Awesome game.

FEAR: One of the best ever as far as I'm concerned.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Marathon is ok but Doom made/ makes it look like a joke. A good friend of mine had a Mac and he was very excited to show me this new FPS so I went over to check it out. I could see why he liked it but I couldn't get into the game because DOOM.

Check out Aleph One if you want to play the series.
FEAR

There's also an Unreal Tournament TC of Marathon, which is very good (but with a few bugs which may need consol to bypass). I tried to play the Aleph version, but got severe motion sickness. Unreal Tournament is ultra smooth, though.

Also, don't forget to try:
Dark Forces (DosBox or DarkXL) and the other good SW FPS.

The DarkXL version is very good and a joy to play, but unfortunately not quite finished. I think I got halfway through it when I found out that the lack of secondary attack for weapons was a bit of a game breaker, since you can't do clever things with grenades for example.

Riskbreaker

DosBox Daum has fully implemented savestates. In case someone might need 'em for Dark Forces. Just saying. Meself, I would never do something so heinous. Never. Never-ever. (slowly walks away, sweating profusely).

Anyway, some more suggestions, to fill your spare time for the next decade or two:

Chasm The Rift - flawed as heck, but still one of my favorites. Sort of Quake-like atmosphere and visuals, fun gunplay, functional (and extremely amusing) dismemberment system. Pretty short tho, and suffers from functionally flat, almost Wolf 3D-like maps.

Gunman Chronicles - great gunplay, game has this cool feature where you can adjust firing mode of most weapons (for example, you can adjust your shotgun for close or long rage effectiveness, you can choose how many shell it'll fire with each shoot etc). Maps tend to be pretty linear, but on the other hand you have great variety of environments and enemy types. Also, Gunman is easily the prettiest Goldsource game, at times it managed to look like an Unreal engine title.

Eradicator - played this one somewhat recently, turned out to be pretty damn fun. Multiple playable characters, crapload of weapons (some of them are pretty cool, like projectiles and drones you can manually control), really fast-paced action, surprisingly not-awful platforming sections (helped by fully functional third person mode). Somewhat bland visuals tho, and maps can be quite puzzle-heavy.

Shogo - has both on foot and giant mech sections, each comes with its own weapon selection. Action is extremely satisfying in both cases, as one can expect from Monolith. However, game suffers from this bizarre critical hit system. Every now and then you can score random critical hit that does way more damage and restores some of you health (I guess they tried to eliminate reliance on medkits, in a way, I recall criticals happening more often when your health was low). Thing is, enemies can score criticals too, so you can go from 70-80 to 0 health in one shot, before you even see the baddie that is shooting at ya. Same goes for mech sections. Don't think there was ever a mod or fix that addressed this in any way. Great game, you just need to accept that it will make ya real angry every now and then.

TRON 2.0 - another great Monolith piece. Visuals remain stunning to this day, one feels like he is inside the first TRON movie. Often huge levels, heavy on exploration, lite RPG system that actually works and benefits the game unlike the one from NOLF 2. Has some fun lightcycle sections. They tend to be short and not too hard, and larger ones have checkpoints between sections, so ya have nothing to fear if you're not into driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

tormund

Arcane
I tried to play the Aleph version, but got severe motion sickness.
Any particular reason for motion sickness? Aleph one doesn't have FOV option in menu, but you can easily create new .mml file with whatever FOV values you want. You should fiddle with mouse settings too, since default ones are crappy and feel too floaty.
Personally I prefer some custom scenarios to any of base games, since they put enemies and weapons to better use, and are way more interesting to look at than original game. First Marathon in particular can be a pain to get into compared to some of its FPS contemporaries, too much narrow corridors and labyrinthine levels with some cheap encounter design. Sequel is a much better game IMO.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Just discovered two recent Heretic projects:

The Realm of Parthoris
AXHKSSW.png

Welcome to The Realm of Parthoris, the fantasy world in which Heretic takes place. This project aims to create a community based Heretic episode by the end of 2015. A texture pack of 500 textures and flats has been carefully compiled to compliment and expand upon Heretic’s fantasy setting.

Elf Gets Pissed (WIP)
Uvm5wFb.png

THE STORY SO FAR...
These Lowbrow Eldritch Degenerates have hassled you for the last time, now you're 10,000 blood thristy elves packed into one mad elf.

edit:
More Heretic:

-Curse of D'Sparil (2010) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/curse
-Heretic Treasure Chest (2010) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/htchest
-Icebound (2011) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/ice-lutz
-Masters of Chaos (2012) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/moc11
-HYMN: A Heretic Community Project (2013) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/hymn
-Dark Deity's Bastion (2011) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/bastion
-Call of the Apostate (2011) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/apostate

updatedmytxt.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom