Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Astral Rag

Arcane
Played Jenesis, amazing wad:

aazandronum2015-10-0857oac.jpg
aaazandronum2015-10-1bsrh5.jpg

aaazandronum2015-10-0jartu.jpg

aaazandronum2015-10-18zppa.jpg

aaazandronum2015-10-0z5osg.jpg

aaazandronum2015-09-3m7q7t.jpg

aaazandronum2015-09-3o5ot3.jpg

aaazandronum2015-09-3nnpxx.jpg

aaazandronum2015-10-1npp3t.jpg

aaazandronum2015-09-3wmrd5.jpg

aaaazandronum2015-09-89pkf.jpg

aaaandronum2015-10-107zo4j.jpg

aaazandronum2015-10-1jzrb7.jpg
New Final Boss:
aaazandronum2015-10-1s5rv4.jpg

Last edited:

Sothpaw

Learned
Your ability to enjoy modern shooters will soon be damaged beyond repair.;)

I was playing Rage and Advanced Warfare at the same time and you aren't kidding. Both games were a chore to get through. Honestly they might as well be rail shooters with tons of shit cutscenes in between.

The amount of wads to choose from is pretty insane. I was surprised that a game from 1993 still has such an active community. But after playing it I underatand why.

Currently on Act 5 of Heretic. Act 4 was a pretty huge leap in difficulty. Was just like when I played Act 4 of Doom and was shellshocked. Heretic has some pretty great levels too.

Riskbreaker

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/zaero
Solid 3-map mini episode for Zdoom, apparently based on some obscure unofficial expansion for Q2. Pretty large maps with some excellent detailing, mayhaps a bit dull and samey at times due to choice of textures. Maps mostly comprise of gloomy, rusty tech/industrial indoor environments, with a couple of outdoor sections. Difficulty is somewhat on the easy side, despite 200+ monster count for each map - stronger enemies are used sparingly, placement of enemies is generally well-balanced, and ammo is in ample supply.
Maps can get a bit too backtracky due to their size and somewhat open design. Author at least tried to ease this, by placing a couple of Duke 3D-style security screens around each maps and by trying to "nudge" player in the right direction with monster spawns. Still, be ready for a bit of aimless wandering. Maps are at least relatively rich in secrets (10 in the first one, no less than five for each of the following maps) so there is some use for careful exploration.

52C80C268E5AFF8EACEECE7B42C090BEF9E48817

ACD8E6073B5CCE334F468DC4B994A74A55929986

DACE830A43E23B18A0E6B3AF80507DA0A328B00D

36C0D8E4A5C2DAA490BC2AD23FCE78EA4F65EDEF

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tumblr_nw1lnplZ4J1s3uhtzo1_400.gif

21 years of killing alien scum and still counting.

Thank you ID :salute:

John Romero (‏@romero)

October 10, 1994 - New York at the Limelight - the release event for DOOM II. Can’t believe I wore white!

tumblr_nvi3zxW6Yc1szcxzqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nvktbhsRc11s44d8vo1_500.png

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Anyone here bothered with DoomRPG?
Played it for some time and want to do some longer playthrough using WAD with large amount of maps, like Valiant or else.
There is nice set combination known from Fallout2 - Advanced Power Armor (here called Nuclear Power Armor) + Gauss Rifle, but for some reason I can't buy them.
Have enough credits, but there is some sort of requirements, that I can't find.
Tested all 6 classess, boosted my stats, and bought some stuff - same result.
Googled and checked some forums + Kyle's GitHub project site, found nothing about armor&guns requirements.

And yeah, Project Brutality is only good version of that overrated BD, that everyone want to merge with everything (yuck).
Played few maps with it, gameplay improvement is more than noticable without "lol ketchup overdose on the screen" thing.
If you never liked gameplay mods - you know the rest.

tormund

Arcane
Anyone here bothered with DoomRPG?

I tried to, but it was a mess to configure and I am too lazy.:)

I played a lot of Doom Roguelike Arsenal until some time ago, afaik it is one of mods that are often bundled with Doom RPG. I liked it because it added a sense of progression to larger and harder megawads. Finding new weapons, upgrading them, collecting armor pieces, it also had a feature where specific combination of upgrades transforms weapon into much more powerful unique one... Big problem with it was that any decent armor and powerful weapons made even tough as nails megawads like Speed of Doom too easy. There is also additional mod that added custom monsters based on those from Doom Roguelike, but that one had exact opposite effect and could turn even early maps of some megawads into mess that required loads of savescumming. One of my last experiences with RL Arsenal was trying to play Going Down with it and monster pack. I think that fourth or fifth map was already filled with OP new monsters to I point where I just gave up on it...

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
This looks interesting:

It has been a long time since the doom bible was wrote by tom hall in 1992, before leaving id software due to differences over dooms direction. In 2000 the doom bible was released on doomworld.com to coincide with the fifth anniversary of doom ( :rpgcodex: ) . After the point several mods for several source ports, and even quake have attempted to create a mod or game based on the doom bible. None have completed an entire episode that is playable from start to finish. Until today.

Today i am proud to announce the first beta of doom the tei tenga incident, the first doom bible mod to complete and release an entire episode. Almost 23 years in the making, a doom bible mod that is able to be played like the first episode of the doom bible. But dont take my word for it. Take a look for yourself.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/doomthe-tei-tenga-incident/news/doom-history-in-the-making

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
New release of Crispy Doom, bringing the version to 3.2. I missed it from a few days ago because it is only a bugfix release without any new features, but it’s worth upgrading anyway.

Edit: there are actually a few changes that don’t qualify as bugfixes, though no new features were added. For exemple I noticed that if enabling coloured blood will also turn the blood pools left by squished monsters in the same colour as their blood (blue for Cacodemons and green for Hell Knights and Barons).

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Why are there so man different source ports?

And why are the pixelated ones with vertical auto-aim more popular than good looking Doomsday with no auto-aim? Even when I played Doom 20 years ago I thought it was a bit lame with the vertical auto-aim. Maybe I'm not nostalgic enough?

Astral Rag

Arcane
I think octavius is posting drunk again

Doomsday:
11857.jpg

You can't play Doom without vertical auto-aim for obvious reasons.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Why are there so man different source ports?

And why are the pixelated ones with vertical auto-aim more popular than good looking Doomsday with no auto-aim? Even when I played Doom 20 years ago I thought it was a bit lame with the vertical auto-aim. Maybe I'm not nostalgic enough?
In most source ports you can set in the video settings what kind of scaling --if any-- and texture filering you want (ZDoom, GZDoom, Sculltag, Doomsday). Some pixel-fags prefer to have a pixelated look. Some HD-fags prefer high scaling filters and HD textures add-ons. Some prefer to emulate the exact experience they had in 1992 and (Chocholate Doom). They only thing Doomsday provides that others don't have is the optional 3D models, which are atrocious. There are also some other visual effects that IMO look weird. I've gotten better HD-fag visual results with GZDoom and Sculltag than Doomsday.

BTW, For anyone wanting some higher-res sprites look here : http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30879&sid=d74ce8795ac64a33fe2499a5c31ddce8
Check also the whole thread, there some nice things to be found.

tormund

Arcane
3D model packs look atrocious by rule.

On a related note, voxel packs for Zdoom are sort of nice. One I used for some time replaced all of weapon, ammo, health... pick-ups and most decorations with voxels.
DnTrnFD.png

3zgrPdb.png

I liked the way it looked, like in some Build engine games.
It had its issues however. Most of all voxels could rape framerate in maps that used lots of decorations. I remember having 10-20 fps most of the time in those japanese themed maps from Deus Vult 2.:lol:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think octavius is posting drunk again

Doomsday:
11857.jpg

Huh???
That's not how Doomsday looks. It looks this this:

KS8B1OD.jpg

Still some pixelation on the sprites, but better than other versions I've seen.

EDIT: I see you are talking about the optional 3D models. Now why would I use them? They look atricious.

You can't play Doom without vertical auto-aim for obvious reasons.

Again, huh? What obvious reason? I've completed Doom 1-2, Final, Ultimate and hundreds of WADs without vertical auto-aim. It makes things a bit harder, which I thought hard core gamers prefered.
Yey in all Doom videos I've seen the experts use vertical auto-aim.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Again, huh? What obvious reason? I've completed Doom 1-2, Final, Ultimate and hundreds of WADs without vertical auto-aim. It makes things a bit harder, which I thought hard core gamers prefered.

It's impossible to kill all enemies without using Doom's default vertical auto-aim feature enabled. Unless of course you use freelook which wasn't even a twinkle in Carmack's eye when the original Doom games were released.

Doomsday looks ok without those polygonal nightmares but I much prefer my Doom to have that nice, crispy software-rendered look. I'm an old fashioned square pixel-fag and I'm proud of it ;)

Some wads I played and attempted to play recently:

Innocence: The New Technology: solid 9 level wad, some new enemy types, first few maps are a little on the easy side.
J75ffiG.jpg

y6YtDNl.jpg
Zaero: Episode 1: great Quake 2 inspired mini episode with nice new enemies, textures and music, impressive maps with lots of secrets. I'm still waiting for the next episode...
9301A98EB8C2093580797EE436F90DFE2CF407DA

40CA93164B0A7F6E0B4CCD546A0820395C40F2C6

1EB3A9F7D4778AA8E30D273E797717E1F36BD0AE

70A9D1CB24F0D8162EF9C7BBAC9E95F3236F0C82
Doom II In Name Only RDC : this highly detailed wad starts out excellent but some of the later maps are huge, over-the-top, confusing monstrosities. Can't recommend this one in good conscience, what a shame.
QL2xs7r.jpg

VNLtNBi.jpg

Ol' No Name: screens looked nice but it turned out to be an over-the-top slaughter BS wad, deleted.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The source port does more than just rendering the video: it also defines how the game will behave. Many source ports fix bugs that were left in the original code, which cleans up the code but in turn changes the way the game behaves. This shouldn’t be a concern most of the time but some WADs make use of these bugs (a practice frowned upon in the Doom community nowadays but quite common some years ago) and fixing them may result in unintended behaviour. Many source ports, like ZDoom, have some compatibility options that recreate these bugs when the appropriate WAD is detected though. There are also other things that source ports change, like the number of tics which results in different monsters movements—Chocolate Doom is the only one that got this right if I’m not mistaken, and this applies to its derivatives like Crispy Doom. Because of all this many source ports break compatibility with demos and the like.

Source ports mostly depend on the focus. ZDoom is pretty much its own thing nowadays and many modern ports are based on it. I went for Crispy Doom since it is built on Chocolate Doom but adds various enhancements like limit removal, increased resolution, and some other nifty cosmetic changes like the coloured blood (I miss that one in other ports) and the pitch-changing of the sound effects (a feature present in the initial release of Doom but that got broken somewhere down the patch line).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, maybe I was "tainted" by playing the great shooters of the Unreal/Half-Life era, but I prefer Doom with freelook and aiming. Even though I've been stuck in the 80s and 90s gamewise the past five or so years, and "everything was better before", I think some things progressed since Doom.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well, maybe I was "tainted" by playing the great shooters of the Unreal/Half-Life era, but I prefer Doom with freelook and aiming. Even though I've been stuck in the 80s and 90s gamewise the past five or so years, and "everything was better before", I think some things progressed since Doom.
Purity > "improvements"

Astral Rag

Arcane

reported

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom