Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've moved on to Plutonia 2. LOADS more fun than Sunlust, the maps are much simpler but there are still tight spots in difficulty. Me gusta.

I disabled "Heroes3" and "Joke" from the Extra Monsters selection in AoD, and realized at the same time that I kept getting the names wrong. :-/

Anyway, WORLD of difference, gameplay-wise and I'm only on Map04.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Yeah you can't compare Plutonia 2 and Sunlust. Plutonia 2 is built with Plutonia in mind (duh), so you have difficult maps with lots of Chaingunners and Revenants but it never gets too hordey, unlike Sunlust which is more or less Stardate 20X6 with a bit of Sunder thrown in.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just finished Memento Mori II. It's the best MegaWAD I've played so far, better than commercial releases like Master Levels and Perdition's Gate IMO.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone tried the old (1996) Osiris TC? It's loosely based on Stargate (which I've never seen), with a partly Egyptian theme. Lots of new textures, sounds and monsters. I thought the textures looked great, the monsters good, but the sound fx was too "roomey". The ambient sounds were nice, though. Some of the weapons were changed too; really liked the new Chaingun. I felt more badass with it.
Overall it was a worthwhile octoWAD, but I quit during the fifth (I think) map, when I realized the pharao mummies (reskinned spiders) didn't work in Doomsday; they were just standing there doing nothing.

Next up for me is probably Army of Darkness, another old TC, based on the movie by the same name, which I've not seen either.
Anyone played it?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I had to give up on Plutonia 2. Not because it was hard or bad, but because not all of the textures load up in GZDoom/AoD, so far too often I'm looking at black walls and invisible railings.

I got to Map17, and Map32 (Go 4 It) was an absolute blast, compared to most of the other maps being just obvious ambushes and tight corridors.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Both of you should try using zdoom. Doomsday is generally not the best for wad compatibility (imo the only reason to actually use it is for those crappy 3d models... thus no reason at all) and iirc plutonia2 was fine with zdoom and had some problems on other engines.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I played Plutonia 2 on ZDoom and had no problems of any kind. I don't know why the fuck would anyone use GZDoom in the first place. Some wads required it but other than that there is no point.

Riskbreaker

The City of The Damned: Apocalypse
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/tcotd21me.zip

Single-map Blood-inspired GZDoom TC by famous Tormentor667.
I actually made several attempts to play through this TC in the past, however I never finished it until now. Since I went through something of a Blood-playing spree during the last two months or so (thanks in no small part to Ninja Destroyer and his reviews of various fan-made Blood episodes), I decided to give one another try.
Anyway, while it consists of a single map, that map is quite large. You start on a foggy shore, with a path leading to a dark forest, through which you continue to titular city (which is mostly fun to explore, at first), with side paths leading to a church and a lone farmhouse.
Solid gothic horror atmosphere, story is told through various notes you'll find scattered through the map. They are fun enough to read, and are done in appropriate style. Also, they tend to contain hints towards solution of puzzles or location of keys, so you better pay attention to them if ya want to minimize aimless wandering. There will be quite a bit of it regardless, map is huge and there is ten or so keys and various items you'll have locate and collect before you're done.

Combat-wise, it can be rather hard, and author obviously aimed for survival horror style of resource starvation. Ammo is in relatively small supply, and for the most part you'll be stuck with pitchfork, revolver and a shotgun. While we're at it, weapon behavior is apparently mostly based on (infamous) ZBlood, so you really shouldn't expect a faithful re-creation of Blood arsenal. Flare gun is replaced with a revolver, tommy gun's secondary fire now consist of shooting multiple bullets in a straight line, pitchfork can be thrown at enemies (which also means that you can lose it, locally there is a couple of spare ones lying around)... Also, large chunk of standard Blood arsenal is simply missing. You'll encounter some of the classic (more or less modified) Blood baddies like cultists, spiders and zombies. Decent chunk of enemies consists of typical Realm667 bestiary, and some of those can be a bit annoying - like say modified revenant that insists on respawning after death.

Visuals are solid enough. Textures come almost exclusively from Blood, detailing is solid if often sparse. There is some 3D geometry here and there, and Tormentor's own fog effect is put to extensive use.

In the end, I'm not sure how I feel about this one.
Aimless backtracking in definitely the biggest issue here. 'Tis also made even worse later on. Early on you'll notice these crypt-like underground rooms that are scattered around the map: these are so-called "moon shelters". At one point, shortly after you acquire the key that is necessary to open them, alarm will go off and you will have a minute or so to reach a nearest "shelter", after which screen goes black and map is filled some sort of invincible... things that slaughter anything they happen upon. After this, you'll hear sirens every 5-10 minutes or so, and you'll have to reach the nearest shelter as fast as you can. This adds some tension at first, but eventually it just makes thing even more tedious and annoying.

Screenshots:
412CFD2B39A5D0BE0E0BE3F599CBA38BB243B8B4

3DF49A5565B58749529CBBCB14C060E482E0F109

7D47CD50D1AFAE41E332787F8099E016270A8BCC

013CF4A6891AAEA9D26FE384D91868106344CAC4

F02115C9F8237EBD294A2DBFAB4B96AA57C77A5A

1939445809B57787406F9747DF1503A3AEE5BD00

B20942F5BAEA943EE9FE0AC61A86D208D2EB530D

732E9591FAC79C8D96E037CF91416EB16501777F

915596037475C7DEAB1D1FAE249A2D11D781808B

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Both of you should try using zdoom. Doomsday is generally not the best for wad compatibility (imo the only reason to actually use it is for those crappy 3d models... thus no reason at all) and iirc plutonia2 was fine with zdoom and had some problems on other engines.

Yeah, ZDoom is rather good when it comes to compatibility. It usually detects the quirks of some WADs that make use of bugs of the original Doom engine—typically frowned upon as a bad practice—and enables them just for these.

Else Crispy Doom is the coolest way to play vanilla WADs, with or without limit-removing. It’s my go-to source port, and I only move to ZDoom if a WAD was specifically designed for it. Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited Community Project are both vanilla-compatible for exemple.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Doomsday looks much better, and also has better controls IMO (mouse is always too sensitive with ZDoom).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Skulltag then, it looks better than zdoom and IIRC i finished plutonia2 with that.

Riskbreaker

octavius
You should check System Vices if ya are into old conversions. Pretty obscure stuff, but also pretty creative and (mostly) enjoyable. I played it last year, after reading this review:
http://onemandoom.blogspot.com/2014/03/system-vices-sysvice1wad.html
It has this cool surrealish sci-fi aesthetics, I actually really liked how some of the maps looked. Now, I remember it being somewhat heavy on hitscanners (sometimes combined with either really narrow corridors or wide open areas with no cover in sight) and not exactly charitable on health pick-ups, so consider yourself warned.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Skulltag then, it looks better than zdoom and IIRC i finished plutonia2 with that.

Skulltag looks good enough, but I still prefer Doomsday; it just feels much slicker. But I'll use Skulltag for WADs that are incompatible with Doomsday.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
octavius
You should check System Vices if ya are into old conversions. Pretty obscure stuff, but also pretty creative and (mostly) enjoyable. I played it last year, after reading this review:
http://onemandoom.blogspot.com/2014/03/system-vices-sysvice1wad.html
It has this cool surrealish sci-fi aesthetics, I actually really liked how some of the maps looked. Now, I remember it being somewhat heavy on hitscanners (sometimes combined with either really narrow corridors or wide open areas with no cover in sight) and not exactly charitable on health pick-ups, so consider yourself warned.

This was an interesting WAD. Parts reminded me of Quake, others of System Shock.
Lots of nice new textures, but as usual with TCs the sound effects is the weak part.
Level design was quite variable, both in quality and design. Liked the maps with good use of the z axis.
But ultimately the actual gameplay/gunfighting was a bit on the weak side, with no large battles.

Love

Cipher
I've never played Doom in multiplayer online. Is anyone up for it? There are also some modifications for that.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've never played Doom in multiplayer online. Is anyone up for it? There are also some modifications for that.

Too late to me for today. I would recommend Zandronum port + Doomseeker client for hosting and joining the mp game. And last but not least, the udmx.wad for multiplayer maps to play on.

Love

Cipher
Too late to me for today. I would recommend Zandronum port + Doomseeker client for hosting and joining the mp game. And last but not least, the udmx.wad for multiplayer maps to play on.

All right, I think I've done that. There's some strange stuff out there.

rVzKdEO.png

Poz92bO.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So is Doom the most modded game ever?
And apart from FRUA*, is it the game with the oldest still active modding community?

*Not many new modules the past few years, but the forums are still active at least.

Love

Cipher
So is Doom the most modded game ever?
And apart from FRUA*, is it the game with the oldest still active modding community?

*Not many new modules the past few years, but the forums are still active at least.

Having no knowledge about Doom mods or any other modding community or modding and Doom in general I would say, I guess so?

Riskbreaker

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played a couple of maps of the Bloodpack. Really good for single player campaign so far. It isn't mega-stomp on your face from the start, which is a plus. In co-op it would be too easy I think. Love all the custom sounds and graphics from Hexen and other titles.

gwokJeK.png

t0qH5ul.jpg

Riskbreaker

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/73102-strange-aeons-wip-ep-1-2-playtesting/
Partial conversion for Ultimate Doom, with Lovecraftian theme and mood somewhat similar to Quake and Chasm.
Author released two episodes so far, each of them has a vastly different visual style. Some of the maps are pretty creative: for example, one of the maps from E2 is set upon this giant armored vehicle that is moving across barren alien desert.
Some new weapon sprites, loads of new baddies, loads of new textures (mostly taken from Quake and Chasm). Maps from E1 are mostly bite-sized, those from E2 are lengthier and more spacious.
3CF0E05D98285984B9E02303E3863B7D9EA00C44

9F6F34D371BCDCCFF26C10A22E89C07AFE05171B

87D53D38A9F6A9E6178074BBB47340F9433743C8

393EDA4FBB26CD28B2F3DC75404B0996C6FC02F4

3567271F724826C0448040D5B630F2BE2D1A1095

00688600E77EDEF4B8B4A83A625B5D6D803F3320

Astral Rag

Arcane
Played through Endless Torture with ND, I enjoyed this Ultimate Doom wad.

Difficulty feels more or less like the harder maps of vanilla Doom to me, there is no crazy horde combat or anything like that.
Beautiful, straightforward level design, we never got stuck, all levels "flow" nicely.
One of the ET maps is a remake of Quake's Castle of the Damned :love:

Really good stuff, I will definitely play his other megawad next time i'm in the mood for some Doom.

s2015-07-12_00012owrvc.jpg

s2015-07-12_00039ico11.jpg

s2015-07-12_00041muob0.jpg

s2015-07-12_00042w5oaq.jpg

s2015-07-12_00043nsodv.jpg

s2015-07-12_00049m9o29.jpg

s2015-07-12_000655hpgr.jpg

s2015-07-12_00058gwr22.jpg

s2015-07-12_00037icr0e.jpg

s2015-07-12_00035n1q38.jpg

s2015-07-12_000749toqi.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom