Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Riskbreaker

Actually, there is a (finished?) Corridor 7 TC for the Doomsday engine. I never played neither original game nor the TC, so I can't comment on whether it is any good or faithful to original. I do remember some folks on Doomworld forums praising it tho.

Here it is, in case ya want to try it out:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/50772-corridor-7-alien-invasion-tc/

Last edited by a moderator:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin

Fucketh me, that’s impressive!

Edit: Or grab the demo file here. In case your source port offers the option, make sure that you use the original Final Doom executable behaviour because the alternate one leads to desync.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Glorious news folks: Ribbiks (of Stardate and Swim With The Whales fame) and Dannebubinga (of Combat Shock 1 & 2 fame) released a beta of their ambitious megawad:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/68089-sunlust-betar1-released/
They provided following words of warning:
"UV is designed primarily for ubermensch doom-gods, thus we encourage most players to start off on HMP or lower."

I do hope you are prepared for some high-quality rape.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Good grief, Sunlust's MAP17 is hard as fuck. The other maps were pretty easy thus far but that one ramps it up to 11.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
He made also videos about STALKER games.
You either love or hate that PC legendary game, and he was "it's ok".
Sounds like another YT garbage channel, like Total Bichquit

Riskbreaker

He knows his stuff and his videos tend to be decent-to-great, for the most part. I just wish he would go back to doing more reviews of older and/or more obscure titles.

Astral Rag

Arcane
He's definitely :australia:

Too bad his taste in modern games is often so anti-monocled.

edit: Case in point

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Actually, there is a (finished?) Corridor 7 TC for the Doomsday engine. I never played neither original game nor the TC, so I can't comment on whether it is any good or faithful to original. I do remember some folks on Doomworld forums praising it tho.

Looks like vapourware. Last message in the forum is four year olds, the old dl links are dead and the new dl link just points back to the forum.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Looks like vapourware. Last message in the forum is four year olds, the old dl links are dead and the new dl link just points back to the forum.
Not vapourware. I've played it and finished it. As far as I can remember it's very faithful to the original and probably better overall.

Actually, I have it in my wads folder. I'll upload it. Grab it while it's hot : http://www.mediafire.com/download/djnlxd5ro2d09z4/C7TCv12.zip

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Actually, I have it in my wads folder. I'll upload it. Grab it while it's hot : http://www.mediafire.com/download/djnlxd5ro2d09z4/C7TCv12.zip

Thanks, man.
Installation went fine, but there is one huge problem: it seems not possible to adjust SFX and Music volumes seperately, like in the regular version of Doomsday Engine. Both sliders are there, but turn music down and there's no sound at all, and turn on music and it will soon drive me insane...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Thanks, man.
Installation went fine, but there is one huge problem: it seems not possible to adjust SFX and Music volumes seperately, like in the regular version of Doomsday Engine. Both sliders are there, but turn music down and there's no sound at all, and turn on music and it will soon drive me insane...
Well, if the doomsday engine doesn't support separate tuning options for the sound, I can't help you there. You could always try to run the game file (...Data\JDoom\Auto\CorrrTCv12.pk3) with another doom engine. It seems to be a Doom2 TC.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Thanks, man.
Well, if the doomsday engine doesn't support separate tuning options for the sound, I can't help you there. You could always try to run the game file (...Data\JDoom\Auto\CorrrTCv12.pk3) with another doom engine. It seems to be a Doom2 TC.

I found a solution (same one as worked for XL Dark Forces). I foud out PK3 is just a renamed zip file, so I extracted the contents of CorrrTCv12.pk3 with 7-Zip, deleted the Midi.wad and repackaged the file, and now the game works fine without that constant annoyance in my ears.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I played through the first level of the Corridor 7 TC for Doomsday, but frankly I thought it was very dull compared to Doom. I never played the original game, but I assume the TC captures the "dullness" of the original. I think any game using the Wolfenstein engine must have been dull after having played Doom.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm still playing antique Doom WADs, since I'm afraid I won't be able to enjoy them if starting with modern masterpieces.

I recently finished Perdition's Gate, a classic Mega WAD that almost made it to Final Doom. Quite good, but too many very small levels.

Just started Memento Mori II. First map was quite hard, so it seems I'm in for a tough ride. My favourite levels in MM I were made by the Casali brothers, but they didn't contribute to this one, so it will be interesting to see how the "new" mapmakers will compare.

And as always I'm comparing my experience with the reviews at http://onemandoom.blogspot.com

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I played through the first level of the Corridor 7 TC for Doomsday, but frankly I thought it was very dull compared to Doom. I never played the original game, but I assume the TC captures the "dullness" of the original. I think any game using the Wolfenstein engine must have been dull after having played Doom.
Corridor 7 was dull even if you had played Wolf 3D. It was more of the same but not as good, never mind comparing it to Doom. If you want to play a good Wolf 3D clone I recommend Blake Stone, it's probably the best of the bunch. C7 isn't too bad, compared to the truly awful, but it's not really worth playing either.

Speaking of Doom WADs, have you played Jade Earth? Someone on the 'dex recommended it to me (I think it was torpid or Lord Rocket, both of which were good people to talk to about Doom WADs). It's a single map but a very long one, and quite well designed, I had quite a bit of fun with it. It doesn't play well with Doomsday IIRC, I ran it in ZDoom to get it to work properly.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of Doom WADs, have you played Jade Earth? Someone on the 'dex recommended it to me (I think it was torpid or Lord Rocket, both of which were good people to talk to about Doom WADs). It's a single map but a very long one, and quite well designed, I had quite a bit of fun with it. It doesn't play well with Doomsday IIRC, I ran it in ZDoom to get it to work properly.

It's on my play list, so I may get around to play it eventually.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm playing through Sunlust (using the AoD mod) and it's not pulling any punches. Unfortunately the slick graphics and architecture can't make up for some of the piss-poor levels I've come across. The first 7 levels or so are awesome, especially the one that has an exit that comes straight outta TRON, but now I'm on Level 15, having gone through 4 levels in a row that are pretty much identical in both appearance and gameplay...and they're boring. It's just obvious trap after obvious trap after obvious trap, in dark twisting hallways with walls dropping down the minute you even look at a switch wrong. I'm hoping this ends soon.

As for anyone using the AoD mod - after careful examination (read: Being killed dozens of times) I think it's safe to say that the best way to enjoy the mod is to disable only the "Heroes3" monsters. These are monsters taken from Might & Magic 7, and while most of them are just harmless cannon fodder, four of them are total assholes that can ruin your day.

# Air Elemental - This otherwise invisible fucker launches whirlwinds at you that don't care about details such as elevation or scenery - they just go around that and hurt you for too much damage considering how weak this monster is otherwise. Meeting one of these early on can easily kill you.

# Angel - He's quick, he flies, he's tough, he can put up an invulnerability shield (blue sparks flying around him), he can resurrect dead monsters and he has a fast-moving projectile attack that packs quite a punch.

# Megalich - He has a variety of powerful spells that usually do area-of-effect damage over insane distances for ludicrous damage. He's a boss monster, sure...but I'd rather fight 3 Cyberdemons at once than this guy.

But the biggest fucker of them all is...

# Thunderbird - He looks like an eagle on fire. He moves like a Cacodemon, has a flamespout attack that can really ruin your day and has the annoying ability to get back up once it's been dead for a while. A cool thing about that is that the Thunderbird can then decide to be an ally - if he has a green shimmering orb around him he's friendly and will attack hostile enemies - if not he'll try to kill you and will usually do so via his suicide charge. That charge will do INSANE damage - for a mod that allows for 666 health and 500 armour, I've yet to survive a direct charge from a Thunderbird. Worse yet, even an allied Thunderbird can decide to suicide charge another enemy and kill you stonedead anyway - friendly fire surely isn't. (At least a charging Thunderbird dies for good after a suicide charge.)

Another suggestion is to disable the "Joke" monsters. AoD has a high share of "clown" monsters now, and none of them are any good. Worse yet, one of them packs a weapon (that you can then pick up and use yourself) that's the cheesiest rocket launcher I've ever seen: A homing missile that releases toxic clouds upon detonation that home in on hostiles.

But the thing is, I'm not too hot about this latest version of AoD. I've yet to find several guns from older versions that were tons of fun to use, and I'm missing several enemies that were also fun challenges instead of cheesefests of death.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just finished Sunlust. skacky is spot on with Map17 being brutally hard, but it looks really cool, like E4M6 from Blood.

While there come some later levels that are really awesome to see (Proxyon (Map25?)) the gameplay is just too hard to make it worthwhile. AoD then oftens slows down to a crawl - I've learned to dread any map that has more than 1200 enemies by default.

And AoD players will want to turn off "Clowns" in the Extra Monsters list - two of them do nothing except spawn little black kamikazes that noclip through scenery to get through you. We're talking DOZENS of them at a time. Fastest way to lag any system.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Unkillable Cat my favorite maps were the first batch and the last few maps (these green maps, Go Fuck Yourself and God Machine in particular). These were very satisfying with some interesting things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom