Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Luzur

Good Sir
http://onemandoom.blogspot.se/2013/02/planisphere-2-planisf2wad.html

Perro Seco released the first Planisphere in 2011. He published the sequel, Planisphere 2, more than a year later. Like the original, PLANISF2 is a single city level for Doom II, occupying the MAP01 slot. Unlike its progenitor, however,Planisphere 2 is big. That's because it's a scale model of New York City. Yeah, that's right. The whole city. Well, actually, you start in New Jersey and fight your way through Manhattan, gracing Brooklyn and Queens with your presence, eventually ending up in Rikers Island. The point is, the map is so huge it's prone to causing errors in the engines it plays in, but more on that later.

8PSOYBk.jpg

Riskbreaker

Return of the Triad
http://www.elzee.co.nz/rotttc/
-Fantastic- fan-made ROTT sequel for (G)Zdoom. All the weapons, power-ups and enemies from original ROTT are back. Several changes to original gameplay are introduced, and I honestly consider them to be improvements: player can now carry basically every single heavy weapon at the same time, 100 collected coins now grant a bonus god mode power-up instead of extra life. Jump is enabled by default, and is pretty much required if one expects to collect majority of coins and secrets.
There are 9 new maps in total, 2 in E1 and 7 in E2 + 2 secret maps which are actually faithful remakes of original ROTT maps. Each new map is huge, gorgeous (Zdoom features are put to great use!), extremely polished and well designed.
Definite must play, this stuff shits all over ROTT 2013.
A8009EEE0C9D55B6EF98AF42BAEDD5C564C7E9E2

7B81A9E220A5836581450A9B27ABF3692B83281F

2C239071EF44817F48AAFD00BC0264CC8DC88835

3C8EE6C13A23677CAD019CFAF227B365F3F8AB2C

BAB94D65795B5008CFAF3254BB5CF964744A8B18

3EA9F374841AC9C15D7E35F8F31B1429E5757B9B

27A8393CB95139EF33DB3E19AB4F1AEFA5691337

7913E4AEC81BC8772FD2BBCE77456094B9612629

A1C396381D4D7BA4A65151BA3C1A5D32FDD8F21B

07938D3DBF393F9B042CB6CA8878C358ACEAEFF1

Astral Rag

Arcane
Finished Episode 1, really impressive stuff.

These guys truly understand ROTT, I hope they release more episodes in the future. :salute:

this stuff shits all over ROTT 2013

That it most certainly does.
15h6o1o.png

006oxe.png

57xrdc.png

46daq82.png

zddivp84.png

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=742401
Really enjoyable gameplay mod, if you are in a mood for something completely different from baseline Doom. Basically, it transforms the game into what feels like a first person sequel to some classic arcade brawler. This might look a bit silly at first glance, but it's quite well made and really fun to play.
I suggest playing this in combination with any wad with some sort of fantasy, medieval, ancient etc theme. I played it with Khorus (really pretty fantasy-themed episode that uses bunch of Heretic & Hexen resources, ya have nice detailed review here if ya'r interested http://onemandoom.blogspot.com/2014/02/khorus-khoruswad.html) and, if I dare say so, they are a pretty good fit: end result felt like a brand new total conversion.

Some screens:
AFDCF101735D561DEECCAC86C37ACFC3312E3880

B4CC2C51614064BD8267BB5293C0018192A55FEB

60245D71E892EA35409B61A8B30819C99ADB63B6

70F5989FF6F79DB8849F501062A66451579D9B15

BEB80D378C8C3E7147FC5974558E801C601F19F5

C499E02B2B4AA247438798E0B516ECDD83A70701

8732A8E85E4EB19E161B2A5F63667F36B773E6DE

F5C62346893FF3CEAA17B00871AFB99361624DC7

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I was looking for some melee oriented mod and stubled upon this one. Might check it.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Came across this cd-rom today, me and my brother used to collect these. In those golden days before the decline you could buy wads at the local grocery store :)

dsc_00551hpqbh.jpg

That generic copyright notice :lol: ...it's highly unlikely mappers ever saw a dime or even knew their maps were being sold
dsc_00562fbpqk.jpg

Some of the maps
dsc_00573ixov6.jpg

More: https://archive.org/details/doom-cds

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:lol: well at least they put some effort into it. Dat leaflet looks better than what some real commercial games have.

On other news, yeah, I'm still playing Ultimate Torture and Torment. This megawad is enourmous and just gets better and better.

hzybFkr.jpg

Fucking awesome atmosphere
ezmDKPZ.jpg

Zm1FNj3.jpg

ybpM60e.jpg

xHQdmXv.jpg

Final Stage (probably)
lbKopZr.jpg

FInal Destination...
Ka49uEv.jpg

Special encounter:
oZtJ1rJ.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Dat special encounter :lol: Is it actually a whole secret level or just the office?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Link

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/72927-story-behind-this-picture/

Did you know that the infamous (and well-documented here!) 3DO port of Doom was planned to have live-action Full Motion Video cutscenes? At least one supposed (and gory!) image has popped up in magazines from the time. According to Rebecca Heineman, only some still images were produced to try and bring in investor money. However, a newsgroups post from 1995 claims to have seen footage at the 3DO Conference…

doom01.gif

RH0hq.png

doom03.gif

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.video.advocacy/qPzQTUTkRs8/ju_q_dLTie4J

Then again, if 3DO Doom at all resembles the FMV I saw for it at the Art Data Booth, jag fans have >nothing< to worry about, it will suck, and it will suck royally… Maybe they’ll go the route of Crystal Dynamics and add hecklers to their own FMV…

Imagine FMV with the acting quality of _Baywatch_ and the special FX of _Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea_. Yes, it was that bad, and no Pamela Anderson to distract you from its failings, just a wimpy Darrien Lambert look and feelalike as “Our Hero”…

Where does the truth lie? I dunno, it’s been decades, memories warp and fade. Apparently at least two more images were released, maybe finding those will shine some light on the situation… For now, though? Enjoy this latex minotaur wishing that he hadn’t failed his audition for Mortal Kombat 3.

A blast from the past.

tgWND5M.gif

Riskbreaker

I fucking love that picture.:lol:

Got me a nice idea, that picture did. Imagine, if you will, that 3DO port not only got those wonderful ultra-cheapo mid-90s FMVs, but that all of the original monster sprites were replaced with new ones based on digitized costumed actors (with costumes being of the same quality as that wonderful Baron... Cyber... Pinkie.... thing).

but that all of the original monster sprites were replaced with new ones based on digitized costumed actors (with costumes being of the same quality as that wonderful Baron... Cyber... Pinkie.... thing).

Actually it's a pretty good idea. Doesn't matter if we end up with such terrible framerate as in 3DO version, by now we would have fun with some unofficial PC port like it has been done with Doom 64 (D64EX, Absolution).

Leitz

Learned
Sunder is a good WAD. Why is it not mentioned in this thread? It gave me the Doom feels:

vsj2a93b.png

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Sunder is one of my favorite wads. Stardate, Combat Shock 2 and Swim With the Whales are similar but none reach the sheer carnage of Sunder.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I just finished playing through Kama Sutra using the latest version of the Aeons of Death mod.

I didn't like Kama Sutra that much, it gets too campy at times. Obvious traps, not-so obvious deathtraps and all-out cheese at the start. Use that portrait of Hitler and you'll be crushed no matter where you are on the map.

Later on there's invisible walls, enemies popping up out of the ground in front of you and then there's the final three levels.

Map28 is a gigantic cube with 1400 enemies in it, with only a single door seperating you from most of the enemies. It quickly caused my system to lag so badly I had to IDDQD and perservere through a 7 FPS framerate to find the exit.

Map29 is my favourite, a city/basescape with a few traps, some nice fight setups and a big fight at the end.

Map30 offers two choices, Kids or Adults. "Kids" puts you in a small circular area against 4 Spider Masterminds and 4 Cyberdemons (or thereabouts). "Adults" puts you in a map where the Icon of Sin spews out its monsters from the cunt of a spread-eagled female body. No, I'm not joking. It took me a couple of tries, but one shot from the Lava Cannon right into the cooch aborted GlaDOS for good.

Yes, Lava Cannon and GlaDOS. I'm using the Aeons of Death mod, remember? Randomizes all enemies and gives you TONS of weapons. John Romero's head now spouts GlaDOS lines, Cave Johnson makes frequent appearances over a non-existant PA system and the Lava Cannon is a stupidly overpowered weapon only gained by killing El Oscuro, the endboss from ROTT.

And playing Kama Sutra with AoD - not a good idea. It screws up too many things, a couple of levels can't end properly and such.

Pros for AoD:

# The variety in enemies knows you'll never be quite sure what you're facing and requires on-the-spot tactical calls.
# The variety in weapons means you'll soon find a gun that suits your playstyle.
# You can customize which "sets" of monsters appear. (Tip: Drop the Left 4 Dead monsters. Spitters are insanely dangerous in AoD.)

Cons: for AoD:

# Some monsters are vastly more powerful and dangerous than others, even if they're considered "equal" in strength by the mod author. (Tip: Drop the Quake monsters, as they're the biggest example of this)
# With so many weapons and so much ammo, players will quickly learn to stick with a few good weapons and discard the rest.
# A randomly placed high-strength monster early on can make the wad unbeatable without cheating, especially if the player has few weapons. A good example of this is a variety of Hexen's Heresiarch that has green skin instead of purple. With the Heresiarch you need to wait until his shield is down, but with this one he's only vulnerable while he raises his hands up - and his attacks pack a punch. Run into him with only a pistol or shotgun equivalent, and you might as well pack it in and restart the wad.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember playing the whole thing. It was after Doom so the older Wolf3d engine surely didn't impress. What I will remember forever was that horryfying skull that would appear in front of you randomly through the whole game. The last levels were really intense.

Capstone (they made Witchaven 1,2 and Tekwar. All of them on Build engine) was planning sequel titled Corridor 8: Galactic Wars. It was made in Build too.

http://corridor7.tripod.com/

You can grab source code for it here. Also the original Corridor 7.

dunno lah

Arcane
Woah. A Deagle with 10-inch revolver barrel, stock and scope. I want...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom