Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
7HSwrUO.png
3 Heures d'agonie 1 3 Heures d'agonie 2
7HSwrUO.png

I've stumbled upon these two accidentally. It's 2 megawads, each with 32 levels (plus secret ones). What is really interesting, that the makers of each level had 3 hours limit on making them. Obviously the maps couldn't be very large, most of the are small and medium level sized. But that doesn't matter, since both packages are filled with great level design and some really adrenaline pumping moments. It's got some nasty little traps that I've always loved in some other mods, with the difficulty level going up constantly. In both parts of 3 Hours of Agony there is a one of the later map filled with monsters (almost 1000 in 1st, 2000 in 2nd), but they are execption to the rule. Beautiful Doom was so slow after killing 60% of monsters that I couldn't go on :lol:. But it's just a little scratch on both of these little diamonds. I really recommend it.

fNjSFbA.png

T5B2mm1.png

OwIA4c5.png

It was. The monsters you've mentioned had been included too in some wads, I don't remember their names now but looking at the screenshots I can say I've seen them. There are more custom, new monsters made by the modders.

As a bonus Quake made in Doom engine. I've played it and it's swell.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I really have to get down my ass and try to download and secure this stuff before it disappears or something. With modern gaming being in the state it is i can well imagine i'd be playing Doom for many years to come.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Null Space

A great wad. It's one big map, with excellent architecture, good visuals and fantastic enemy/ammo placement. No shitty enemy teleportation, nice progression, good secrets, hard but not cheaty. It combines nicely with brutal doom. The way I like my wads.

BZvECPI.jpg

bgKt0pG.jpg

7usSWMu.jpg

NR1lwzn.jpg

Riskbreaker

I decided to finally play through Paranoid, since it seems like sequel is actually getting released!
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47988
Pretty damn solid HL-inspired TC , with what is easily classiest and most extensive use of 3D geometry I encountered in a Doom TC.
I have only a minor nitpick or two. For example, both 3D models and sprites are used for NPCs, so you'll encounter say a static 3D scientist next to a few animated spritey ones. Feels pointless. Also, while pacing is generally great and majority of maps are extremely well detailed and fun too explore, there is this pretty linear part with almost pitch black caverns and simplistic-looking canyon section that goes on a wee bit too long (not helped by the fact that it is filled by some rather annoying specimens of alien wildlife).
Also, there are few moment when monsters are spawned right behind you, which is always bad. There is one part towards the end where a pretty heavy-hitting enemy is teleported just behind the player, and just before you enter arena-like area filled with other enemies. Some cheap shit right there, kind of stuff that will force most player to reload a save.
Anyway, other than those pretty minor crap this is a damn solid stuff, HL fans will probably appreciate it even more than I did.

screenhaits
74ED6F78F73E771C7D80E1BBD8306A4B28A5771B

C3EB3C3A6C1B9C97436CBF1DBDB9B411D1B3A71E

38D617969A3364BC9729D081F3150BB248ABB4C5

E7A2E90E2AC4FDC7183293F0D1E6A7230776851C

Ah yes, another nitpick! Guy lending a voice to your employer, dude sounds bored as fuck. Anyway, moving on
D9324B6DAAFB397FE0BB20EECE2C75962E36355C

921F5FC793981815D370656ACB72FB00ED4A5611

52F81E57F479B423A1922CA0C24CB3D9FB46FD7E

Black Mesa staff is known for always spending their time in a most productive manner:
FA4F4B329AC644CE09CA92052F2645417EF94B86

Another thing I played recently: Hell Awakened 2 E1
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/ha2ep1v2.zip
First episode of a planned D64 & PSX Doom inspired megawad. Decent stuff, nothing special but definitely worth playing. As is to be expected considering its inspirations, colored lighting and Aubrey Hodges's music are put to extensive use. Both gameplay and visuals improve as one progresses through the episode. Flaws: Bit too much chaingunners of the sniping variety, 'specially in map 2. Encounters with some new and "improved" archies are to be expected, their attack is nerfed to being projectile-based but on the other hand they are able to actually -summon- new enemies of various types (yeah), in addition to just resurrecting fallen ones. Also, there is this teleporter section near the end of map 8 which I was unable to finish, and from those idgames comments it also appears to be broken for others.

screens
B4A6712C48511F3C606702717058CCA306B352BB

54328E66EF7067C61E419E7AFA05754C280D6FEB

09BD67CCAE33F7802D100581A56DA2FAB0AD1884

35924811E8EE87A5189DF7A3AF55C36C2F1F5F5D

13C034D2B53CAE19E9D317BA6D23148CD4EB8284

B70E668702FBE4540C7CCE80B10DDB7154FA5EE7

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sorry, but are you saying Paranoid is a Doom WAD that is made to look like Half-Life?
Wouldn't just making a HL map (or whatever is the right term) be more sensible?

Riskbreaker

Eh, might be that author is well versed in usage of Doom Builder, ACS scripting etc... but on the other hand completely unfamiliar with HL modding. Also, GZDoom TC that attempts to faithfully recreate environments from HL is way more impressive and sure to garner far more attention than HL mod that basically uses slightly altered maps from the base game, with storyline parallel to that of main game (which is what Paranoid, an HL mod, would have been).
Another thing: ReX seems to have a penchant for TCs based on gameplay and visuals of other FPS games. His other famous work, The Darkest Hour, is based on original Dark Forces.

Anyways, 'tis time for some weirdness. This
Unloved - preety nice idea. You are in old mansion and like in Silent Hill open portals to other dimension, finding keys while progressing through. You return to the mansion and open another portal. Later in the mod, you have to backtrack to finally meet the end. Very good atmosphere, highly recommended. There is also Silent Hill OST and part of the maps look very similar to the Konami game. There are some enemies from Heretic and custom wall textures from Blood and other FPS-es.
will be a basis for a full-blown, standalone commercial game.
I ain't gonna post that weird alpha gameplay vid here, 'tis safe to assume that it tells nothing about look and gameplay of finished game. Some bad news tho:
Randomly.
Generated.
Levels.
:(

Last edited by a moderator:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Again, I should recommend Hideous Destructor mod. Combine it with different map packs, and you're in for a great journey.
Great journey, heh heh heh, right.

510c731449.jpg

I thought Hocus Pocus was funny, but here comes the challenger! Golden Souls, inspired by old Mario platform games. I never thought Doom could be so cheerful :lol:. Very nice design, but you need to like platforming in 3d and lots of patience. You have to grab the souls in each of the "world" to be able to move to another one. There are many traps, deadly cannons and lots of references to old Nintendo titles (plus music too). There are boss fights too, with the ultimate badass waiting for us after we have all of the golden souls. Very nice mod, if you want to try something completely diffrent. Second part is in the making.

Download Link

3f326e532a.png

8dwty.png

4dcc681678.png

Astral Rag

Arcane
I found a Zandronum compatible version of Beautiful Doom.

SP worked fine out of the box but the coop mode (Zandronum+ Doomseeker) was giving me grieve:

A089A97A994D19A4795B14686E43E92B0148C6FD

If following the onscreen info doesn't do a damn thing just exit the game and open zandronum.ini (or similar, the file is called zandronum-AR.ini here)

Look for "sv_smartaim 0" in the [Doom.NetServerInfo] section and change that line to "sv_smartaim 3", now you should be able to load a coop game without seeing that annoying message. Good find Ninja Destroyer.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom