Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Android games

aron searle

Arcane
(yes, Hur Hur, there are no good android games....)

So seriously, there are like a bizzillion games out there and most of them are obvious shit.

I'd like a good civ game. OpenTTD has a horrible horrible interface, most city building games seem like popamole shit with no real management.

Any gems out there?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Almost thought this would be an interesting thread. There are some good Android games, even though the vast majority are casualfag microtransaction Facebook shit...

.... but no good Civ-style games or city builders. All are utter shit. There's even a Civ: Revolution 2, which is the most casualised version imaginable.

If you are looking for good games in general there is a list of RPGs, some good stuff there.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpgs-for-tablets-seeking-list-additions.88431/

Also non-RPG's:

Imperium Galactica 2 (4X)
X-Com: Enemy Within
Broken Sword 1 and 2
Ur-Quan Masters
Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded
Out There
The Last Express

Plus ScumVM works so all the classic Lucasarts (and some others) adventures will run.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would add the following:

Anomaly: Korea (other Anomaly games probably too, I have only played this one)
Battle Worlds: Chronos
Broken Sword 1 & 2 <- already mentioned in the linked thread
Carmageddon
Dragon Quest IV & VIII
King of Dragon Pass <- already mentioned in the linked thread
Might&Magic: Clash of Heroes
Star Command (have not played it myself, but recommended by a friend)
The Banner Saga
The Shadow Sun
The Lords of Midnight

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Many of those are already in the RPG thread I linked to, so no point in repeating them.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
And Banhammer Saga, although the OP hadn't been updated yet.

But who knows what Broken Sword is doing there, it's about as far from an RPG as you can get, classic point & click adventure.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Not exactly a traditional strategy game, but...

I'm not kidding, that is one of the most charming games I've seen this year. It's a game where you play as a sleazy lawyer during the 80s and the game goes to town with the setting. Everything looks, sounds and feels like that era. Hell, many cases are based on 80s pop culture and movies.

And the gameplay is pretty decent, especially on hard difficulty. The trials are turn-based, where you have to manage you case strength as you deal with the opposition. It's turn-based, where you have a set amount of action points to use during each turn to activate different actions to either buff yourself, debuff opponents or deal damage to opponents. Things get interesting as the game progresses as you meet different lawyers with different abilities and they start getting assets like for example experts that buff evidence damage or witness protection agents that protect witnesses against your attacks. You really have to plan your actions later on if you want to get the bonus cash for clearing a trial fast.

Why do you want the cash? To buy shit that buffs your main three stats, which unlocks passive and active abilities that are useful during trials. The thing is, even if you win every case fast and get every bonus, you will not be able to buy max out everything, so you plan ahead. And even if you had the cash, you have to choose which item of each kind to buy. For example, you can only buy one bed/suit/tyre out of two or three available that grant a different bonus. Same when you get a choice between presents by a happy client.

And again, I can't stress enough how charming the game is. The writing, references, abilities and especially the dialogues with your rival before each trial can be really witty and funny. It's the kind of game that is just enjoyable as hell.

Bonus points for being one of the few games where you can have your character wear a pimp hat and a monocle.

Multi-headed Cow

Elder Sign and NOTHING ELSE.

Rebuild 2's alright. Tales of Illyria's alright (Although I wish it didn't have a story and focused more on making the adventurer Oregon Trail part better). King of Dragon Pass is good but apparently not as updated as the ios version. Out There's alright. Pretty much all the Trese brothers games are ugly as sin but alright.

Haven't really hit anything that knocked my socks off or made me want to play it instead of a PC game, but Elder Sign and KoDP probably came the closest.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Elder Sign is banal shit boring randomfest even if you play the tabletop version with friends. Solo on a touch device, it is even worse.
I wish they brought Arkham Horror to phones/tablets instead. That game is way, way better, and would benefit more from a CPU tracking the rules for you.

A horse of course

Broken Swole has some unpatched bugs and I was unable to finish it on my Nexus 10. Older Turn-Based CRPGs like Might and Magic could, in theory, be perfect for tablets, but tablet cpus are such utter shite that we're still a while away from good dosbox emulation. Which means waiting for proper re-releases or remakes.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
(yes, Hur Hur, there are no good android games....)

So seriously, there are like a bizzillion games out there and most of them are obvious shit.

I'd like a good civ game. OpenTTD has a horrible horrible interface, most city building games seem like popamole shit with no real management.

Any gems out there?
Apparently John Tiller made some Android wargames.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Candy Crush Saga, plz.

OpenTTD has a horrible horrible interface

That's just a port of the PC version, with no thought given to touch controls. It's unplayable.
There's also Transport Tycoon which is actually just Locomotion renamed. It's "official" or something, don't remember if Chris Sawyer is involved though, but it's shit anyway and with shit controls again.

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
toJUI9U.png

Best Android game right here.

oscar

Arcane
Conquest of Elysium is on Android. Though they warn that there's little point if your screen is less than seven inches.

Rpgsaurus Rex

KoDP droid port is bad, the interface is horrible. Money well wasted.

Only games I can play on a tablet that aren't emulated NDS games are adventure games. Broken Sword, Last Express. That attorney game someone linked above is decent but it's only like 2-3 hours worth.

Multi-headed Cow

Elder Sign is banal shit boring randomfest even if you play the tabletop version with friends. Solo on a touch device, it is even worse.
I wish they brought Arkham Horror to phones/tablets instead. That game is way, way better, and would benefit more from a CPU tracking the rules for you.
Thing is, it works well for how I want to play Android games. It keeps high scores so I can score attack, it quits easily at any point, and there's some light strategy but it's easy to drop back in to whatever you were doing if you quit for a few days.

It's kinda weird, I'm not real big on actually involved Android games since I don't want to play them that long, but I'm not real big on (Most) complete fluff games for it either because controlling real time shit with a touchscreen is the devil.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Hoplite is a great little game

The Lone Wolf Saga should need no introduction - way more than just a simple gamebook conversion

Punch Quest is a dumb endless runner but is actually really fun

God of Blades is a fun sword fighty game, but the real draw is the awesome bombastic 70s-prog Michael Moorcock atmosphere. Game oozes style

Tin Man Games have been putting out a lot of gamebook adaptations that are really fun, but Sorcery! stands head and shoulders above the rest, for sheer effort put into it

Monument Valley is a fun MC Escher-esque puzzler with great art style

Fiz is a simulation about running your own brewery. Make and name beer and engage in bitter, hoppy rivalries!

Kairosoft games are all pretty good. They're weird little Japanese ports of very old mobile games, but they're all awesome simulator-lites that are perfect for phone/tablet play. I like Epic Astro Story

Wayward Souls, a Dark Souls-inspired roguelike. Just a very, very good game

Spaceteam if you have real-life friends

Organ Trail is easy to write off as an Oregon Trail parody but, shitty shooter minigames aside, it's actually a very compelling little OT-style game

Calculords, by 300-year-old internet funny person Seanbaby, is a weird mix of maths puzzles and other nerdery that I'm personally too stupid to be good at but seems like it could be good if ur into that kind of shit

Battleheart Legacy gets a good rep as a sort of Diablo clone or something I guess? Haven't played

Also a few classic-style dungeon crawlers that I've yet to try but get good reviews: Deadly Dungeons, Questlord, Hack Slash Loot

kazgar

Arcane
Pixel Dungeon is a pretty awesome roguelike, and its actually free (totally, no app purchases, i think its open source as well) does the right things to be playable with limited controls, and is the usual get the amulet of yot and get out (or not get out) with 4 classes (and 8 subclasses) you'll die a bit, but probably get the hang of it eventually. Saves your state so can do quick plays when required. Updated reasonably frequently.

(the in app purchases on the google page is a donation link only)

Astral Rag

Arcane
No idea if this version of Worms is any good but it's free ATM

http://www.amazon.com/Team17-Digita...e=UTF8&qid=1419416795&sr=1-1&keywords=worms+3

edit: This is another amazingly crappy Team 17 release. You have to create a retarded T17 account before you can play ( :retarded: ) but in typical modern Team 17 fashion the log-in server is horrible so trying to create an account was not only very annoying but it turned out to be completely impossible this makes Worms 3 100% unplayable.

This retarded log-in screen is animated and made my phone sizzling hot.

Last edited:

FuelBlooded

Scholar
Duet

One More Line

Wave Wave

ordered by difficulty :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom