Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Going to play Fallout: New Vegas for the first time, requesting sage 'dex advice.

Morkar Left

Project Nevada is FULLY customizable. Every option is indeed optional, easily configurable from the mcm menu like it's part of the original game.

It's basically essential for me, especially since I don't like bullet-sponge gameplay and vanilla NV is full of it, especially on higher difficulty. With PN combat becomes more quick and gritty, even more like F1 in that regard (but obviously not turnbased).

But I agree that joshs patch might be an easier to-go solution. You're missing the PN interface tweaks, though.

Blackmill

Scholar
Has any one tried Arwen's NV Realism mod at http://arwenevecom.ipage.com/FalloutNV/FNV-mods04.htm? It seems interesting. I have it installed but haven't had the time to fully test it. Some of the things it does:
  • Removes health on level up. Food no longer heals.
  • Stimpacks heal less, heal over time, have an animation, and will knock the player out if used in quick succession (no more spamming).
  • There is an injury system. You can now bleed out. Dehydration, radiation poisoning, sleep deprivation, etc. all have greater consequences.
  • Weapons are rebalanced. Damage made more realistic -- things actually die when shot in the head.
  • Ammo is more scarce. Economy rebalanced.
  • You start with 5 less SPECIAL and Tag skills function like they did in FO1/2 (effectively reduces starting skills by 50%).
  • There is a one-life module. If activated, instead of dying, you lose a percentage of your caps, stimpacks, and ammo, as well as your equipped armor (but you can buy it back if you find whichever vendor it winds up being sold to). Basically the Fallout-equivalent of Dark Souls' death mechanic.
From the creator of the mod, "This mod is my attempt to share my vision of what Fallout New Vegas might have been if the focus had been on creating a truly immersive RPG, instead of a RPG/FPS hybrid."

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Make a new character, go right for the DLC quests. Even vanilla NV has some challenge to offer then. And you have to use your metagaming knowledge!
I just want to finish vanilla, because even that seems like an overwhelming experience to me.
You must understand, that i haven't played games for about 7 years at all, except for old ''once a year at least'' classics like JA2 (usually modded), Wiz8 and Civ4). I was already slow in my younger days, now i'm fucking snail slow. Plus, i play around 5 or 6 games simultaneously so it will take a while.
I'm too old for this shit.

Arwen's mods always sounded p. cool, but I always install something else first because they're mostly a vanilla enhancement and don't add add a lot of stuff like other overhauls. Worth mentioning that they're modular so it's possible to skip the stuff that is 2hardcore4u (but the thought of being less hardcore than a girl that plays as a pink-haired elf is pretty hard to overcome, so I probably wouldn't)

i have tried project nevada both for fo3 and new vegas,and i have to say that turns the game into a first person shooter

stuff like quick key for grenades and faster combat lean towards fps not crpgs.

That's a positive. The game already is a FPS to begin with, might as well make it a better one.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Project Nevada is FULLY customizable. Every option is indeed optional, easily configurable from the mcm menu like it's part of the original game.

It's basically essential for me, especially since I don't like bullet-sponge gameplay and vanilla NV is full of it, especially on higher difficulty. With PN combat becomes more quick and gritty, even more like F1 in that regard (but obviously not turnbased).

But I agree that joshs patch might be an easier to-go solution. You're missing the PN interface tweaks, though.

You can use both Project Nevada and Jsawyer at the same time, as long as you don't use PN Rebalance, since it modifies same things as Jsawyer.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's pretty good now, no reason not to use it, I'd say. It used to be really slow and clunky in the past but it has been improved.

T. Reich

Arcane
When I had to choose how to install the multitude of mods for FNV, I found only 2 popular alternatives, either FOMM or the Nexus one.
Well, the makers of the more popular mods recommended to use Nexus over FOMM, citing that Nexus is in constant development, and FOMM stopped updating a while ago.
So, it was a sort of no-choice, and I went with Nexus. Can't obviously compare it to the alternatives, but it works just fine.

T. Reich

Arcane
BTW, having played up to Boulder following the starting quest (+thoroughly cleaning up surrounding areas and side-quests), I've come th the conclusion that the game is pretty fun, but the combat sucks donkey balls.
Especially in close quarters, where melee enemies move very quickly and chaotically, making both melee and ranged attacks versus them a matter of spray-and-pray. Even VATS becomes a total mess.
At medium range it also sucks, but less, thanks to VATS at least allowing you to catch the enemies in crosshairs.
In the end, I've resorted to using sniper weapons at long range (sneak attack crit 1-hit-kills are a godsend), and using burst-fire weapons at close range, at least versus lightly-armored targets.
God, how I miss the FO1-2 combat. :negative:

Morkar Left

You can use both Project Nevada and Jsawyer at the same time, as long as you don't use PN Rebalance, since it modifies same things as Jsawyer.

I only knew about a compatibility patch which had some errors in it. I think a lot of the PN rebalance things are pretty good (after getting personalized) and other mods have compatibility patches for PN which joshs mod unfortunately is missing. But still good to know you can combine them somewhat.

Related, but do you guys/gals/trannies use the nexus mod manager or what?

Yes, I do. I started at the end of last year again playing NV and ended up with the nexus mod manager. It works flawless for me. I use it together with LOOT.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
BTW, having played up to Boulder following the starting quest (+thoroughly cleaning up surrounding areas and side-quests), I've come th the conclusion that the game is pretty fun, but the combat sucks donkey balls.
Especially in close quarters, where melee enemies move very quickly and chaotically, making both melee and ranged attacks versus them a matter of spray-and-pray. Even VATS becomes a total mess.
At medium range it also sucks, but less, thanks to VATS at least allowing you to catch the enemies in crosshairs.
In the end, I've resorted to using sniper weapons at long range (sneak attack crit 1-hit-kills are a godsend), and using burst-fire weapons at close range, at least versus lightly-armored targets.
God, how I miss the FO1-2 combat. :negative:

Consider trying the Bullet Time mod, which is also included in Project Nevada. It doesn't suddenly make the combat not suck, obviously, but it makes it less of a clusterfuck. Especially in close quarters.

Sheepherder

Augur
Related, but do you guys/gals/trannies use the nexus mod manager or what?
Yes, why?

I ended up installing it too. I was just curious if it was still viewed as a reliable program. Seems even more improved from when I last used it.

Please don't. Use Mod Organizer over at Skyrim Nexus, works with F:NV, although some older mods with installer scripts might be a bit iffy. Nothing you can't fix in 5 mins.
Or use the FOMM fork which is still being updated.
Nexus mod manager is a piss poor program for managing bigger mod lists. It's only good if you're only going to get like two mods.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Nexus mod manager is a piss poor program for managing bigger mod lists. It's only good if you're only going to get like two mods.

Please, elaborate. I've heard good things about Mod Organizer, but I still use Nexus Mod Manager because I have absolutely no problems with the newest versions. And I have 100+ mods for Skyrim and 50+ for New Vegas.

valcik

Arcane
Shotguns aren't that bad either with a pair of perks:
- Shotgun Surgeon (-10 DT)
- And Stay Back (Knockback)
There's various ammunition for shotguns in Ultimate edition, powerful hand-loaded magnum buckshot or pulse slugs against robots. You can just roflstomp through anything with trusty Riot Shotgun.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Shotguns aren't that bad either with a pair of perks:
- Shotgun Surgeon (-10 DT)
- And Stay Back (Knockback)

Yeah, they ain't bad, they are utterly broken. The game becomes a complete joke with And Stay Back (and Riot Shotgun). There's only a handful of enemies in the entire game that are immune to the knockback and the knockback occurs with almost every shot, because the 10% chance is separate for every pellet.

Sheepherder

Augur

Please, elaborate. I've heard good things about Mod Organizer, but I still use Nexus Mod Manager because I have absolutely no problems with the newest versions. And I have 100+ mods for Skyrim and 50+ for New Vegas.
To quote an anon: "NMM is shit and will cause you problems. It breaks some mods, flat out won't install others and is missing a whole slew of features to make your life easier." This was my my experience when it first came out and every subsequential time I installed it. MO is great when you have a bunch of mods and want to experiment. Think Wrye Bash, but better.
I like FOMM because I'm used to it.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
To quote an anon: "NMM is shit and will cause you problems. It breaks some mods, flat out won't install others and is missing a whole slew of features to make your life easier." This was my my experience when it first came out and every subsequential time I installed it. MO is great when you have a bunch of mods and want to experiment. Think Wrye Bash, but better.
I like FOMM because I'm used to it.

I'm not saying that those complaints are wrong but they seem to be referring to older versions. Nexus Mod Manager is VERY different and has a lot more features now than it used to. I haven't had any issues with breaking or being unable to install mods etc. Current NMM is also very fast and installations, uninstallations and downloads can be queued and so on.

Sheepherder

Augur
I'm not saying that those complaints are wrong but they seem to be referring to older versions. Nexus Mod Manager is VERY different and has a lot more features now than it used to. I haven't had any issues with breaking or being unable to install mods etc. Current NMM is also very fast and installations, uninstallations and downloads can be queued and so on.
But Mod Organizer has all that and much more. Full Nexus integration. Better mod handling. Take the time to learn it, you'll thank me later.

Yes, Mod Organizer is the best alternative, alongside Wrye Bash's BAIN. NMM seems to work perfectly for me so I never bothered making the jump, though I use Wrye Bash for making bashed patches.

http://robbiecwilson.hubpages.com/h...nd-fix-mod-conflicts-and-update-all-your-mods

When I had to choose how to install the multitude of mods for FNV, I found only 2 popular alternatives, either FOMM or the Nexus one.
Well, the makers of the more popular mods recommended to use Nexus over FOMM, citing that Nexus is in constant development, and FOMM stopped updating a while ago.
So, it was a sort of no-choice, and I went with Nexus. Can't obviously compare it to the alternatives, but it works just fine.

FOMM/OBMM is indicated for FO3/Oblivion since those two are old enough that NMM's development didn't focus too much on them. I imagine it's because of the unique OMOD/FOMOD format that modders sometimes use for them, which were made specifically for FOMM/OBMM. Mod Organizer claims to be able to handle them just fine, though.

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane
Has any one tried Arwen's NV Realism mod at http://arwenevecom.ipage.com/FalloutNV/FNV-mods04.htm? It seems interesting. I have it installed but haven't had the time to fully test it. Some of the things it does:
  • Removes health on level up. Food no longer heals.
  • Stimpacks heal less, heal over time, have an animation, and will knock the player out if used in quick succession (no more spamming).
  • There is an injury system. You can now bleed out. Dehydration, radiation poisoning, sleep deprivation, etc. all have greater consequences.
  • Weapons are rebalanced. Damage made more realistic -- things actually die when shot in the head.
  • Ammo is more scarce. Economy rebalanced.
  • You start with 5 less SPECIAL and Tag skills function like they did in FO1/2 (effectively reduces starting skills by 50%).
  • There is a one-life module. If activated, instead of dying, you lose a percentage of your caps, stimpacks, and ammo, as well as your equipped armor (but you can buy it back if you find whichever vendor it winds up being sold to). Basically the Fallout-equivalent of Dark Souls' death mechanic.
From the creator of the mod, "This mod is my attempt to share my vision of what Fallout New Vegas might have been if the focus had been on creating a truly immersive RPG, instead of a RPG/FPS hybrid."

I finished the game with this mod (and all the DLCs). It's THE mod if you want a more challenging NV (and you should). Recommended.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom