Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GOG Winter Sale: Herve gives Bethesda one last middle finger, gives out Fallout Trilogy for free

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Overall a shittily balanced game but otherwise quite good. *shrug*
"Good"? We're talking about a game that removed character interaction and setting from Fallout and removed environment interaction from skirmish wargames.
A skirmish wargame where you can't even break open doors and make holes in the walls, so you're forced to run through shitty labirynths and enter buildings through entrances covered by gunmen.
More fitting word would be Shit.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Imminent stupid question: When you say "FOT", what is?
Fallout Tactics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_Tactics:_Brotherhood_of_Steel

Interplay's attempt to create a Jagged Alliance 2 knockoff set in the Fallout universe.
It's a squad based tactics game, not an RPG.

Has a large amount of blatant lore inconsistencies.

Most noticeable example:
The developers simply did not get that Fallout is a 50's Retro-futuristic Series, it comes off as if apocalypse happening in the 1990s.

The plot has many similarities to the one of Wasteland 1.

Opinion seems to be that is that its a decent "game", but a mediocre "Fallout".

It also has the probably the best "combat" in the Fallout Series, but is held to be far inferior to JA2 standards.

Top notch exploration? Hardly, with rubble blocking ways, metro tunnels filled with cannon fodder and radiation walls.

I am extremely butthurt by the presence of a handful of natural barriers. I should be able to walk through them like in real life.
Real life has shit all to do with how fun something is to explore, first of all there aren't a handful, and they aren't natural. They are rubble, oftentimes that seem possible to climb, surrounded by invisible walls, and they are everywhere. The other half are part of the awful metro systems, it's by design a tedious world to explore. And to what end do you explore? it's not to run into anything interesting, the wasteland is dull as fuck, only the invisible wall DC zone has anything interesting going on.

Exploration is also scaled to your level, so running through the wasteland will have you encounter mole rats until you are level 12, in which case you get yaoi guai until you are high enough level for robots. So there's never anything new or threatening as you are eased into it, and by the time you see it you can kill it. The earlier Fallouts had way better exploration, I consider it to be especially good in F2.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Top notch exploration? Hardly, with rubble blocking ways, metro tunnels filled with cannon fodder and radiation walls.

I am extremely butthurt by the presence of a handful of natural barriers. I should be able to walk through them like in real life.
Real life has shit all to do with how fun something is to explore, first of all there aren't a handful, and they aren't natural. They are rubble, oftentimes that seem possible to climb, surrounded by invisible walls, and they are everywhere.

Bethesda games are, if anything, extremely generous with what you can climb over. If you want a Fallout game with actual invisible barriers where there is nothing to climb and I still can't go through, try New Vegas.

The other half are part of the awful metro systems, it's by design a tedious world to explore. And to what end do you explore? it's not to run into anything interesting, the wasteland is dull as fuck, only the invisible wall DC zone has anything interesting going on.

Nearly every area has something unique or useful in it. Many places have background stories. Some you can gather from computers, others just by looking around. Most of it doesn't stand out, nor should it. The lack of compelling characters to run into does dampen it somewhat but I generally prefer my post-apocalyptic games people free so it's not really an issue for me.

Exploration is also scaled to your level, so running through the wasteland will have you encounter mole rats until you are level 12, in which case you get yaoi guai until you are high enough level for robots.

Only partially true. Some stuff is scaled, some isn't. You can run into yao guai and deathclaws at level 1 depending on where you go.

So there's never anything new or threatening as you are eased into it, and by the time you see it you can kill it. The earlier Fallouts had way better exploration, I consider it to be especially good in F2.

I couldn't stand the F2 tutorial so I never bothered with it but Fallout 1 didn't have much to explore at all. It was all one big, mostly empty map. It could have used a few dungeons that have fuck all to do with the main plot.

Disagree, obviously there's less in 3's wasteland, because it's simply a flat space, but the DC ruin overshadows all of the walls in Vegas. Besides that, NV's walls are pretty much superfluous, the black mountain wall has holes in it that you can pass through, making it an annoyance more than a barrier, same with all of the others. Fallout 3's walls are there because there is nothing beyond them, that zone is an entirely different cell that only spawns after you go through some shitty metro system.

Nearly every area has something unique or useful in it. Many places have background stories. Some you can gather from computers, others just by looking around. Most of it doesn't stand out, nor should it. The lack of compelling characters to run into does dampen it somewhat but I generally prefer my post-apocalyptic games people free so it's not really an issue for me.
unique as in mostly useless named items with the same mesh/texture as the common, with hardly anything special going on. Tons of generic skill books that are so plentiful that finding them is like finding a stimpak. That's not a big problem if you like that barren grimdark feel, but the problem isn't the population density, but instead that there aren't compelling characters even when an area isn't "people free".

Only partially true. Some stuff is scaled, some isn't. You can run into yao guai and deathclaws at level 1 depending on where you go.
True, I'll give you that, but to compare, Fallout 1 has about twice(Or at least around twice.) the amount of dangerous zones, despite only having a handful of locations, whereas 3 has literally 3 locations like that, out of over 100 locations with level scaled random crap.

I couldn't stand the F2 tutorial so I never bothered with it but Fallout 1 didn't have much to explore at all. It was all one big, mostly empty map. It could have used a few dungeons that have fuck all to do with the main plot.
This is a matter of taste, I prefer exploring to find interesting locations instead of exploring to find level scaled generic dungeons with randomly generated, level scaled loot. plot related is no issue to me, I find it increases the quality of exploration that I can accidentally find Lou's camp in the first few minutes, more than hurts it. Fallout 3 did a lite version of that, wherein you can find your dad at different stages of inane crap, but for the most part it's no where near as substantial.

I'd also recommend you try FO2, I find it better for exploration as it is larger and more populated, although many locations can help you on your main quest, they aren't all tied directly into it. As well, since this is Fallout and not some generic post apocalyptic setting, there are compelling characters and interesting companions to find. Although it lacks in the kind of generic settlement you're looking for, I think it's just as satisfying, the way they did the encounters was also good, the things you encountered were dependant on zone, you could definitely encounter hordes of deathclaws and other very dangerous things depending on the direction you took.:rpgcodex:

But now that you've detailed your opinions I don't necessarily disagree with you, when it comes to finding generic with level scaled knick knacks FO3 stands supreme. Although NV has an equal amount of those locations, it has far too many compelling characters and interesting locations to be able to stand up to the former. :hearnoevil: #1 Unless we count OWB, which crushes 3 in it's own "brand" of exploration.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Opinion seems to be that is that its a decent "game", but a mediocre "Fallout".

It also has the probably the best "combat" in the Fallout Series, but is held to be far inferior to JA2 standards.
And to X-Com standards, to Lasers Squad standards and even Wages of War: The Business of Battle standards.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Zenimax:hearnoevil: cannot :balance: into Poland DRM-Free:

Removed from catalog: Fallout 1, 2, & Tactics
Today, we bid farewell to the legendary post-apocalyptic 2D classics.

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we needed to pull the three classic Fallout games, that is Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics, from sale and remove them from our DRM-free catalog. These classic titles have been with us since day one, that is for over 5 years now, and they were always one of the highlights of the selection of games that we offer. There are very few titles in the history of computer role-playing games, that have had so much impact on the gaming landscape, players' expectations, and even the popular culture. The iconic setting, the memorable quotes, and unparalleled amount of fun and challenge these games provide--it's all burned in the memory of a whole generation of gamers. Probably even more than just one generation. It was an honor to have you here, Fallout. Take good care of yourself out there, try not to mistake a gecko for G.E.C.K. (not even remotely the same thing!), and remember to take your Rad-X pills!

0100650e79ca7799caa0064b2e2611a62396ed6f.png

All those who acquired Fallout, Fallout 2, or Fallout Tactics on GOG.com prior to the date of removal (that is before Tuesday, December 31st 2013, at 3:59PM GMT), will still be able to download the games' install files (as well as the bonus content) via the "My Games" section of their user accounts. Gift-codes for these three games acquired in our recent giveaway are no longer valid. However, if you own a gift-code for any or all of them that was purchased outside of the said giveaway, you'll still be able to redeem it in the foreseeable future.

We sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience this situation may have caused you. We invite you to browse through 671 other fantastic titles offered in our DRM-free catalog of the best games in history, and we wish you a Happy New Year of gaming!
News Link: http://af.gog.com/news/removed_from_catalog_fallout_1_2_tactics?as=1649904300

I'm not particularly happy about anybody profiting off Black Isle's corpse, but Bethesda's Pro-DRM stance is one more reason to dislike them...

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Bethesda will be happy to know that by now the whole Codex has legal DRM free copies of the classic Fallouts on their hard disks.:martini:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
In b4 massive "Fallout Pack" from Bethesda, with everything from F1 to NV + bonus content, like interviews and such, that they forced Obsidian to give in hopes of one day working on Fallout 4: Spin-Off.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Meh, i don't care as long they are still downloadable from gog. And i hope Zionmax will keep Fallouts available for sale at least somewhere. With their retarded PR they could hide them from public because they "mislead gaemers expectation" or something.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bethesda has Arena and Daggerfall up for free on their site, maybe they'll do that here. :M

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Will the games still remain in my library on gog? For how long? It would be a fucking shame to log in one day and stare in awe at the gaping hole left by the fallouts.

FuelBlooded

Scholar
Will the games still remain in my library on gog? For how long? It would be a fucking shame to log in one day and stare in awe at the gaping hole left by the fallouts.
they remain in your library - it's stated in the article and I checked my own gog account. They didn't say for how long.

skallagrim

Lurker since the beginning of time
I present "On Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics No Longer Being Avalible on GOG.com" by Den Store Skalden*

Den Store Skalden said:
The rights to Fallout Tactics, One and Two
are owned now by Bethesda, not by you.
On Gee-Oh-Gee it isn't anymore.
Bethesda is a Steam New Reno-whore.

Fellating Valve's so clever, it would seem
for those who dream of blowing off some steam.
Bethesda should, if you excuse my puns,
be blown into oblivion with guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7qzabAY54

*not me btw

LundB

Mistakes were made.
He seems pretty butthurt over such a small thing. It's not like the people who already have them can't download them anymore, and anyone who actually wanted them would have either bought them already or at least grabbed them for free.

GOG, Herve, Bethesda, all of them are just trying to scrape whatever cash they can off of Interplay's corpse, I see no reason to fellate any of them.

skallagrim

Lurker since the beginning of time
Yeah, that's true but I did find it rather funny and therefore worth posting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom